Midnight Train to Prophet City: New His Left Hand -4:52

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

runagate...thanks so much man (and for your myspace comment...believe me, I don't mind seeing the uberflies having riotous sex pushed down a bit). I'm so glad ya dug it, runagate...

shamann-> partch is the man. Yr right...totally reinvented music in his own vision. Gotta love someone who invents instruments to get at the sounds he's hearing in his head. Are there any Partch sample sets out there? That would be totally cool!! He would probably be horrified...but so be it. Who can afford their own cloud chamber set?

I doubt there are any. From what I understand, his estate is very actively managed, so I doubt sample sets would jive with their view of his legacy, especially since he was so very much a DIY advocate.

This is a fascinating piece! Definitely evocative of trains. We used to have to cross the tracks (there's now a ramp to drive over them) to get to the riverfront area in our town, so I got to spend a lot of time watching trains pass. And listening to them. I'm going to go listen to the rest of your tunes on your MySpace page.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

The rest of the tunes on myspace are rad, too, but I gotta get you to get a googlepage or something so you can upload at least 224 kbps... mindtrips don't work so well when the codec apparently involves seiving the mp3 through every skank on myspace's panties... wtf is wrong with their audio? It's like listening to Timid play slide guitar on a glass harmonica in the hi freqs.

runagate wrote:The rest of the tunes on myspace are rad, too, but I gotta get you to get a googlepage or something so you can upload at least 224 kbps...
Not sure if this is the reason for lower bitrates, but they are for sale at higher quality:

http://www.hislefthand.com/process.php? ... cess-Start

hey docatlas...thanks so much for the listen and comments.

and thanks, shamann! yep...higher quality and for the most part the pieces for download have extra content and are generally quite a bit longer and cover more aural/sonic/musical territory than the ones that are offered for free. (The pieces available in the player are free but at 128 bps. I hate 128 bps cause it wrecks havoc with my carefully balanced sounds but I wanted folks to be able to listen...and feel compelled by the cleverly placed subliminal messages to buy the downloads.)

One of these days -and it won't be long- I will be offering a hardcopy CD (or three) at CD Baby.

shamann wrote:
runagate wrote:The rest of the tunes on myspace are rad, too, but I gotta get you to get a googlepage or something so you can upload at least 224 kbps...
Not sure if this is the reason for lower bitrates, but they are for sale at higher quality:

http://www.hislefthand.com/process.php? ... cess-Start
Nice, I didn't know that.

As to cleverly placed subliminal messages to buy... I am so non-visual I can't tell you a single thing on your myspace page that isn't the player. I don't even recall the pic. I'll have to consciously check it out. I know I am a rarety in that, though. That's why my myspace page is essentially impossible to navigate and complete nonsense: I care only for the java applet music players.

Then again I love the musicfreedom site, too. I changed my 1st song to see how many people would listen to Shuddering Dewdroplet in one day: 27! rofl! Those poor people.

Runagate...I hear ya. I looked to the myspace page as being a way to lead people to the mothership... the hislefthand.com site. Unfortunately, I'm congenitally unable to either pimp my pages or my music...so I could probably go about it in a different way...but beats me as to what it is. I for sure want folks to buy buy, buy the better/complete versions but not at the cost of not giving folks an opportunity to have a good listen to the pieces. Since I'm not doing pop songs, I wasn't in favor of just posting 30 second snippets...particularly because most of my pieces change so much. So it seemed like the most honorable balance to be struck.

I'm still not quite so sure as to how to post my own songs in the hislefthand.com player...much less in the "store" section...so the myspace page is easier for guerilla postings of songs. As to the cleverly (buy) placed subliminal (buy my music) messages (buy buy buy)...I can't (please buy) help you very much.

I'd feel pretty bad if someone actually bought one of my songs but I'll take a look at your myspace and see what I can make of the html. This is all I've ever needed for making my myspace crap garish:

http://www.mygen.co.uk/index.php?page=t ... =basichtml

In particular knowing the end carriage (wtf you call it on PCs, I guess that's an old typewriter term) and how to embed pics that are links to sites is nice.

If you look on the right column of my BriarmonSmetrach5 myspace site there's a little applet that comes from the musicfreedom.com site that it just generates code for, you paste it in somewhere. It's nice cuz it updates itself when you change around stuff on your musicfreedom site. The other one I made somewhere on the site of that first link I posted but it doesn't update, you have to make a new one, and the mp3s already have to exist somewhere, and there's no buy option. Oddly, I still like that one better. I'm not much one for making money or knowing about it but making internet bullshit easier without knowing wtf you're doing is definitely something I strive for. :)

I hear what you're saying about 30 second snippets with us crazies 8)

Grabbing an earful now....
Not to keen on the Midnight Train tack, but I love Inelucible :love:.
Really reminds me of Tetsu Inoue :tu:

runagate...thanks...I'll check out yr suggestions.

Hey Ian SDZH...thanks for the comments. Can you recommend anything by Tetsu Inoue? I'd like to check him out. Thanks. Feel free to check out the player on the hislefthand.com site...there's a whole bunch of pieces over there.

Return to “Music Cafe”