groove challenge (request for help)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

please help a (somewhat) stuck fellow composer. :-)

challenge 1

here's the construction kit (all layers) for the 124 bpm 15/4 lurching groove around which stumble is based:

www.rachmiel.org/groove.zip

i like it, but am stuck on how to vary it convincingly, rather than just rote loop it.

i'd love to hear what you come up with: variations of the groove, all layers or a subset, in the original tempo or not, original meter or not. modifying (cutting up, rearranging, fx) the layers is fine, but please don't add any new material, because my goal is to create an interesting evolving groove line that uses only these five layers.

challenge 2

i've been really struggling to find 'melodic' foreground material for this groove (and similar lurchers). i usually come up with a wall of sound, but that's getting a bit old. i'd love to hear what you come up with, something that really fits the mood/character of the groove.

very appreciate you. :-)

When doing something like this,i found it of outmost importance to really listen to the original composers intents. To carefully craft the piece into it's real intent. Not add unnecsessary distractions and not take away the original spirit.
So here's my take on it.I think i did rather well if i might say so myself.
http://www.tekno.chalmers.se/~magolo/sy ... tarnce.mp3

There's always one in every crowd. :smack:

jupiter8, i take it you are not a fan of glitchy grooves?

Not sure what I've done here Rick, but thanks for putting the files up, 'twas a lot of fun:

Lurch of The Latter Days

128 bit .mp3
7 mb
7:37 mins

Used a little chunk of the bass loop to make the bass and lead parts. May try something else later...
Image Image

very nice, polyslax. :-) watery, which seems to be your element. like the anti-melody ... suggestion: try microtones, subtle non-diatonics.

i'd love for you to do more variations.

rachmiel wrote:jupiter8, i take it you are not a fan of glitchy grooves?
No not really now that you mention it. :D
I take it you did'nt appreciate my remix ? :lol:

I'm no big fan of tarnce either but i thought it was fitting in this context. It was meant as a joke.That's all.In that contect what better genre than tarnce ?
At least give me that you had a brief WTF? moment when you heard it. 8)

yes, it's well done. :-) and yes i got a laugh ...

it was just hard to tell whether you were having fun or making fun; the former is totally fine with me, the latter not so much.

thanks for the explanation.

rachmiel wrote:yes, it's well done. :-) and yes i got a laugh ...

it was just hard to tell whether you were having fun or making fun; the former is totally fine with me, the latter not so much.

thanks for the explanation.
No no no.I was'nt making fun of you and your music. That'd be just plain mean.I apologize if you took it that way.That was never my intention.

If anything i was making fun of myself (or at least so i thought). I mean a tarnce remix did'nt really fit in that context. :lol:
That was the joke.That's all.

Hey! This is fun!

The Roman Lurch

128 bit .mp3
5.7 mb
6:14 mins
Image Image

One more, and I swear I'll stop:

Lurch Back

128 bit .mp3
4.8 mb
5:14 mins