I think I hit a milestone!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think my production skills have "leveled up" (I know, I play to many games, watch too much anime, and are a computer geek, but I love it).

What do you think? I just released my new track "Stay A While". Please let me know waht you think of it. I'm fairly new!

http://www.myspace.com/brokenfridayband

Please comment on it here, thanks. :)

Push.

No offense, but your beats sound VERY bad. This is a reason why FL Studio gets a bad name. Lay off the built-in samples.

You should atleast put "YOU WA SHOCK" in your FX Master Channel. :wink:
http://youwashockvst.googlepages.com/home

Here you go check this site out also:
http://gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=4

I think its great! I've got a few tips to help you out to perfect your technique...

First off... We need a direction. The track Stay a while, is to complex for rap. To monotonous for rock, and not bright or edgy enough for Pop.

If your trying to make rap... First I would say, the tempo is around 82 to 96, with much more organic tones, and space in the beats...

Rock is so obviously a live band, with blazing guitars, at around 120 bpm... a drugged out singer, a sexy girlfriend, you know the deal.

Pop is gonna be shiny, using a variety of organic and electronic tones... Pop is clean, hooky, and fun.

I am guessing from what I am hearing, you have some desire to combine house like electronica with rap... and rock?

maybey I am wrong, but city lights sounds like it is house, with a techno lead, and a hip hop beat...

and now in midnight epic, you have indian flavor stuff and scales...

Ok, verdict, You wish to fuse... Indian scales... sitar's and yoga drums, with RAP, rocK, HousE Techno, and POP....

great idea!!!

Its completely unique....

Oh, ok... how on earth are you producing this?

on your computer in a sofware enviorment?

great...

tip number 1...

make sure your beats are not on the clock of the computer, move them ever so slightly to the left or right, but never have them exactly on one to three or 4.. but if you do move them.... move them SLIGHTLY!

tip number 2

Try to switch it up a bit more... Midnight epic is a Fantastic composition, but I just think you have the wrong sounds going on in hear...

a bit of bite on the sitar would have gone down nice...

the kick drum in city of light doesnt fit... its to techno, ump....

you would have done better with a dark trancer... and some disto and verb....

plus, I think you could do someting a little diferent with you bass.

everything sounds mixed pretty well.

I am just wondering what you are using for instruments...

I dunno, that sequence in stay a while, could use some more notes...... and thats all I am writing, I hope it helps...

I dont know what you are trying to do with you music. but if you are trying a fusion, a sort of Rap, rock, Pop, techno india vibe....

what the hell do you call it.... RaTerOpia?
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Wow... OK...

Firs off FL Studio samples are never used in my music, and in this song FL Studio wasn't used.

Wow, you even said they sound "VERY" bad. :shock: :-o :?:
BASSDRIVE wrote:No offense, but your beats sound VERY bad. This is a reason why FL Studio gets a bad name. Lay off the built-in samples.

You should atleast put "YOU WA SHOCK" in your FX Master Channel. :wink:

Here you go check this site out also:
http://gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=4

Thanks for your great reply johnny-chan. My goal is to break the barriers and contstraints to what we call "music". I usually produce for Hip Hop, but Rock, and Pop comes to mind and I'd make a song based of that genre. I love mixing genres together. Anime, Hip Hop, Techno, Dance, Classical, rock, etc...

Timbaland (producer) is my number one idol when it comes to producing. He has taught me to keep on in my own genric direction, even if thousands don't like my taste.

In Hip Hop, quantizing your notes is really good especially if you have a track that has a techno, dance, or any mechanical sound to it so listeners can groove and dance on the same beat as it falls.

City Lights is an RnB song for a female singer, that I composed earlier on before. With a hint of dance synths.

Midnight Epic, mostly everyone seems to like it. I was going for a true Hip Hop, ritualized Indian, dirty, eerie feeling, that tells a story with it's beat. That sitar isn't a lone sitar, it is accomponied by another instrument, and I can't think of the name...

Speaking of hardware, I got my E-Mu Xboard 49 Wednesday before last, but I returned it for the 61, which should be here sometime this week.

When I composed City Lights and Midnight Epic, all I had was my QWERTY keyboard.

The bass in City Lights is plain and simple, kind of boring because when I composed it, I didn't really research and realize the potential the bass brings to the track.

I use VSt's for my instruments like Nexus, Vanguard, Hypersonic, etc... like that. I can't wait for my Xboard to come back!

-*-***-*-***-*-*/*

BASSDRIVE wrote:You should atleast put "YOU WA SHOCK" in your FX Master Channel. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

"The knob will go up"

Thanks for the spam Ian. -_-

Hi Ichigo,
my first comment was not spam, but my thoughts relevant to your tracks. After initially posting what I think of your music, I decided to edit as I felt it better not to air too much negativity.
Let's just leave it at that, eh ?

:)

Negativity only makes me stronger, plus I can filter out hating through constructive criticism. From read your post, my filter is pretty backed up, want to leave it at that?

man, it is your post-titel:I think I hit a milestone!,that's what makes your demo "attackable",you know ,i can understand your motivated,but if you are really honest to yourself and compare it to your idols,i must say:your production is "miles" away!
everything sounds distorted and not mixed!
there are so many sites about mixing and mastering,so maybe you could find help there,besides that ,the idea,means the song is what counts ,and sorry to say that,maybe you should learn some harmonic knowledge,so you can play with your ideas!
but anyhow,it is much better to make music,than to rob an old lady!
go on,'cause what does not kill makes stronger!
greetings from vienna
b.
...the most nicest noise is to laugh...

Thanks. I think my mixing is good, I offered some users the original file of my songs, and they said mixing is good. I don't know what you mean by "disorted", that' is such an ugly word, especially when reffering to music.

I have harmonic knowledge, mayybe not that of my "idols" or any professionals, but I think it's great for me since I am really new.

When someone says they reached a milestone, doesn't make their opinion (feeling) "attackable" by any means. You should research what "milestone" means, and it's common usage. It doesn't mean to be introducing attacks, or smart assess. Though I know lots of these people exist.

I don't want to compare to my musical "idols" because I don't want to copy them. I never claimed that I was going platnium with my tracks right now this instant, nor did I say I was Kanye, Tim, etc...

I think I'm miles away from them, but did I ever claim that I was close? EExactly... please read my post carefully next time.

I can CLEARLY see this forum is not for Hip Hop tracks, I only see other stuff, and frankly... you, IAN, and BASSDRIVE don't show any welcome nor anything.

Remember, "I think I hit a milestone" doesn't translate to "go kill yourself, I'm better than you" in any language.

Hitman? is it you?

:D Who is Hitman?

Return to “Music Cafe”