"Sun pale and shy" - Trip hop-ish with female vocals

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Man, I haven't posted any tunes here for ages. Shame on me.

Tried to do something a bit different (for me).
It's damn hard making something sound old with all these hifi plugins. Grrr..... :lol:

Musically it's rather repetative but in my defence it was done more or less in 2 evenings.

I'd love some feedback though :)

Click here

cool.
some feedback:
bass is a little soft for me here- may be my speakers though as I am at work. There is a nice, slow rolling groove that they could fill out. Same with that very hi twinkle sound - a bit soft; maybe some compression?
I like the vocals, but I'm undecided about their treatment: are they old-telephone sounding or not? Has a ballroom feel to it, now. I like the humming she does, and you could throw that in over a break if you want to add more variation.

well neat piece, glad you shared :)
..what goes around comes around..

Compression. You could be right. I must admit it was very quick and dirty mastering; a couple of dB on the limiter on the stereo bus.

The vocals has indeed that "phone" effect. I struggled getting the full voice to sit properly in the mix and thought it would be could to make the vocal more lofi as well so I went for a 1930's vocal. Perhaps not the best choice. I'm not sure.
Thanks for the feedback though. I'll keep it in mind.

i like the phone effect. very vaudeville. i am just not feeling the soundscape around it, it is very nicely done, just doesn't feel at home with the vocalist. isolate either element and it is superb, put them together and it aint working as well, for me. so my two pennies. very cool tho, the overall concept and sounds used.

This is tight. I really enjoyed this. In the break at around 2:20, the organ sound you use might be kinda heavy in the low mids, but it could be my monitors. Everything else in the mix sounds quite professional. A Keeper.
Her voice is calm and professional. She knows what shes doing, don't lose her.
Keep the effect...its very effective. (doh.)
peace
jazzyspoon

p.s. yes, shame on you, Stin-G. :D

G'day mate,

Really enjoyed this :) If it was me, I'd have some phone effect and some full voice (maybe even mid-phrase changes), and I'll also mess with the voice a bit (chopping, repeating phrases etc) to make it sit better with the rest. I guess that depends on whether you have the freedom to do it, or whether this lady is a client :hihi:

It's got some great sounds in there, but some more variation would be nice - really dig the ending, so maybe you should have a similar breakdown elsewhere.

You should pm Eric Persing, as Stylus gets a good showing here :D
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

Jazzyspoon, you might be right about the organ - I did EQ it a bit, but as mentioned it was a quick track so....

Watto: Damn, is Stylus that obvious? I did put it through several lo-fi effects such as Sonitex and Vinyl. I don't think I want to do any chopping; I wanted to keep that old-ish lofi vibe. Besides, it's too much hard work :P

Sloworm: Don't really want to seperate music and vocal but thanks for the feedback.

Hmmm..... different opinions regarding the phone effect. :?

Hehe - no probs, mate! Go with your instincts - I did say I really enjoyed it, remember ;-)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

Watto: Sorry, yes everybody seemed to like the track so I just referred to all the critique. More variation, "some full voice" is certainly something I'd consider. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”