Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fvwelsh
KVRist

157 posts since 31 Jan, 2005

Postby fvwelsh; Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:02 pm new track "Wildcat"

I'm finishing up this track and just want to get everyone's feedback.
It has some trance-like elements.
~4.5 min, 320K mp3, 12 Mb
http://www.synthesizer-cookbook.com/music/wildcat.mp3

You may have to be patient with the download as my server is a bit slow.
Jazzyspoon
KVRAF

4798 posts since 14 Jun, 2004, from Denver, CO

Postby Jazzyspoon; Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:31 am

hey fwelsh!
This is an interesting take on tarnce/electro. I like the melodic synths more so than some of the bass/arp style ones, but they all seem recorded really well.
My only constructive crit would be that the drums sound very muddy and distant. The hihat is drowning a lot of your precious key work out in the beginning half, too. I would wait til toward the end of the song to bring in that element. Your kick has disappeared to the nether regions of compression-dom... please resuscitate it. :) I like the rez keyline beginning at 2:30, but the dog barking before that is not a good fit for the mood I feel you are trying to elevate in this track.

I hope you actually wanted feedback, it just occurred to me you didn't ask for it. I hope I haven't come off as a big mouthed jerk here.

peace in pieces
Jazzyspoon
fvwelsh
KVRist

Postby fvwelsh; Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I did ask for it.

While the drum pieces do have some independent processing they ultimately go through the same reverb and compression which is probably responsible for the muddy and distant feel. In regards to the animal sounds I threw them in for the hell of it and figured I'd later revisit the decision to keep them or not. I may retool that whole section.

Thanks again! I've listened to this track to many times to make an honest judgement of its quality so I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Fred
Jazzyspoon
KVRAF

4798 posts since 14 Jun, 2004, from Denver, CO

Postby Jazzyspoon; Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:34 am

doh, you sure did ask. man, thats what i get for responding before coffee. let me know when/if you update it.
ouroboros
KVRAF

7894 posts since 16 Apr, 2003, from -on the outside looking in

Postby ouroboros; Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:08 pm

cool - very new order like to my ear, esp with the choir voice at the end.

I like the reverb wash, but there is a hole somewhere around 5-600Hz in which the second synthline introduced dissappears, as do a couple of other lines.
My preference would be, without out vocals to add another break in? hmm, maybe not.

well it's a fine piece, very fun :)
fvwelsh
KVRist

Postby fvwelsh; Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:11 pm

ouroboros wrote:there is a hole somewhere around 5-600Hz in which the second synthline introduced dissappears, as do a couple of other lines.
I'll look for it. Thanks for the observation.

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe