and now some BLAST and Hows the production!!!??

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok this is something I am working on right now. Its still in progress considering I havent gotten the bass or vocals back from the others, and havent really started the mix, but I did play and record all the drums and guitars. SO this is what it is at this point.. Its my favorite tune I wrote for this cd...

I'd be open to any critiques on drum sound, or guitars.. THis is the first time I have gone with no samples on the drums. Actually the bass drums are triggering a Sample, for consistancy, but even that is sampled from my own kit.. And as I said its not finished by any means but I have definitly tweaked the drums up to this point.. Im still working on it, though..

http://worldofsht.googlepages.com/Track4-2.mp3
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

My wife says :love:

She says that it reminds her of the Deicide album that came out last year ...or Goatwhore? Is that really the name of a band?

It may just be the MP3 but the kik needs to kik more, and the rest of the drums sound very distant. The guitar sound is very aggresive and tasty. The bass has been drowned out some where (if there is a bass track). The composition is awsome! The song has tons of potential but I know how tough it can be to mix this kind of thing. I did a demo for a band called Vostis or Vosis or something, sounded like newer Napalm Death; all I know is that it was a bitch to get everything balanced without making the mix sound like it was suffocating.

I don't listen to much metal so I will refrain from being to critical. I really enjoyed this and so did my wife, thanks.

3am

A woman likes it!!!!??? GREAT!!! my wife likes my stuff, but not too much... :hihi:

Thanks for the compliment on the song!

And I agree with your assessments about the drums,, they are still a little distant, although I think the TOMS sound good. I have been working with the snare trying to get the punch and body I need with it. Its getting closer..
I havent really done much with the kicks yet, since I know once I get the bass guitar, I'll have to really mess with the low-end of the kick and bass, so I havent done a whole lot with that yet.

And yeah no bass guitar yet...

Thanks for the guitar compliment, that I know how to do pretty good. Well at least I know how to get it where it makes me happy..

And Deicide's new one is good. The sucked for many years, but now are good again..

And yes Goatwhore is a band!! hehe Im not too much a fan of them, but they all right..

later
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

1) Start the song with the part you end the song with (also starts at 1:33 to about 1:47) then jump right to the beginning of the song as you have it now. Dynamite riff that would sound really cool at the beginning.

2) Double kick sounds programmed. I would fix it so it sounds more fluid (human feel).

3) The drumming from 00:15 to 00:29 and again from 00:44 to 00:57...(excuse my explanation as i speaketh not music terminology and theory)...I would start out with more of quarter note hits as opposed to..is it 16th triplet hits i am hearing??? Once the riff hits the last 2 bars, i would go with the 16th triplet (or whatever the timing is) hits.

-So 00:15 to 00:23 and 00:44 to 00:51 would be played fast but more in quarter note hits
-00:23-00:29 and 00:51 to 00:57 would be played as it is now (the really fast drumming).

Again sorry if i am explaining a bit rough here. I am an ear player and have no idea about music theory. I play drums as well but just "have at it" w/o any training in theory and the like.

Cool song! The bass will really round it out.

Yeah, my wife is all Cannibal Corpse, Death and Carcass. She calls what I like "pussy metal" (Tool and such). I'm more into experimental electronic stuff myself, but fast beats are fast beats to me.

@ S.HUSH- Hey thanks for listenin.. I understand where you are coming from, I often listen to songs and have many ideas of how I would do it as well. So I find it interesting to get other points of view..

Although these are pretty much done song arrangement wise.. These are the final recordings.. Not at all the final mixes, I havent really even gotten started with that yet, but the songs are ready for the other guys to put there shit down on em, And then I'll really work at forming the sound of it...

Its kind of funny about the double kick sounding programmed..!! I didnt do ANY editing on the drums on this song.. I was pretty f**king proud of my doubles on this one!! haha I did 6 songs total and on some other ones you'll definitly hear some double bass fluidness!! :hihi:

Although maybe you are speaking of the fact I have only used 1 sample throughout. So far I havent gotten my little kick drum sound sample set all done. So, in that regard, it is all 1 sample.. I will add some velocity changes to add some feel to it.. But the playing is entirely live...

Killvehicle wrote:
Its kind of funny about the double kick sounding programmed..!! I didnt do ANY editing on the drums on this song..

Although maybe you are speaking of the fact I have only used 1 sample throughout. So far I havent gotten my little kick drum sound sample set all done. So, in that regard, it is all 1 sample.. I will add some velocity changes to add some feel to it.. But the playing is entirely live...
Impressive! It is very stiff so yeah, some velocity adjustments should cover that. But the overall timing is spot on.
What kind of kit do you use and what pedals? I like Axis pedals although i just tried a DW 9000 i believe it is?...and it was really damn good (i normally don't care for DW hardware).

I'll second the AXIS pedals, I only first tried them about a month ago, and man I could FLY@!!!! And very smooth and steady.. The fact is I have played drums for 5 years only out of necessity, I can play fast but thats about it!haha I have only played in grind and death metal bands, so thats what I know.. I'm a geetar player first and foremost...

I use Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive pedals. I orignally bought those, becasue at the time I was using a double pedal and these can operate as 2 seperate pedals if desired. After awhile I realized I was really compromising with my left foot. When I was playing it was always behind. It is sort of ineveitable that a double pedal would be slightly off.. They arent equal.. So basically I ended up being faster on the left to compensate, so when I played shows with other peoples pedals and drums, My doubles were off..

SO I ended up getting a second kick and using the Yamaha as 2 singles and since then my doubles have been much smoother and more consistant.. Although there isnt a whole lot of double bass in this song, besides in the middle part.. And I dont recall the speed but its pretty manageable B.P.M wise... Especially when you take 5-6 takes to get it right.. :D

Killvehicle wrote:I'll second the AXIS pedals, I only first tried them about a month ago, and man I could FLY@!!!! And very smooth and steady.. The fact is I have played drums for 5 years only out of necessity, I can play fast but thats about it!haha I have only played in grind and death metal bands, so thats what I know.. I'm a geetar player first and foremost...
Wow, i am just about in the same boat! Started out with guitar but had to get into drumming because i had gone through about a gazillion drummers who didn't "get it". They played fast just to play fast or they were too busy when they should have been in the pocket and blah blah blah......
When i got my kit, i just automatically started playing really really fast. It was a great workout for me so i decided on getting a double kick and get some serious cardio going :lol: No joke!
I haven't drummed in years but if i am behind a kit....I prefer hardcore satanic blood in your face vampire clit bashing death speed kill your sea monkey styled music (with a touch of Michael Bolton of course) :D

Sounds pretty good to me. The snare sounds pretty good, I'm not sure how good the decay on it sounds though. It sounds a bit tinnish... Maybe your boosting around 800hz to 1khz or something like that...

Toms sound a bit boomy and the decay would probably be better tightened up if you are using a reverb.

I like the guitar sound, what is it?

S.HUSH wrote:
Killvehicle wrote:I'll second the AXIS pedals, I only first tried them about a month ago, and man I could FLY@!!!! And very smooth and steady.. The fact is I have played drums for 5 years only out of necessity, I can play fast but thats about it!haha I have only played in grind and death metal bands, so thats what I know.. I'm a geetar player first and foremost...
Wow, i am just about in the same boat! Started out with guitar but had to get into drumming because i had gone through about a gazillion drummers who didn't "get it". They played fast just to play fast or they were too busy when they should have been in the pocket and blah blah blah......
When i got my kit, i just automatically started playing really really fast. It was a great workout for me so i decided on getting a double kick and get some serious cardio going :lol: No joke!
I haven't drummed in years but if i am behind a kit....I prefer hardcore satanic blood in your face vampire clit bashing death speed kill your sea monkey styled music (with a touch of Michael Bolton of course) :D
Werd, BROTHA!!! The cardio is definitly something I consider a positive!!

monkeymanx wrote:Sounds pretty good to me. The snare sounds pretty good, I'm not sure how good the decay on it sounds though. It sounds a bit tinnish... Maybe your boosting around 800hz to 1khz or something like that...

Toms sound a bit boomy and the decay would probably be better tightened up if you are using a reverb.

I like the guitar sound, what is it?
I'll try your advice on the Toms.. Actually I dont think I did anything on them at this point except gate them.. They are raw in this mix..

I think on the snare I was cuttin around 500 on them, which may in turn accentuate the frequencies you mentioned..

The guitars are a Peavey 5150 combo, but I am running it thru a 4x12 cab mixed with Celestion Vintage 30's and Eminence Legend V12's........ I mic'ed the Vintage 30's though..

Wow, that 5150 sounds nice... Is it newer or older? I've read that with some of the Mesa amps, the new ones aren't nearly as good as the older ones. Don't know if this applies with Peavey though.

I used to have a Digitech 2101 dual S-Disc running into a Marshall 9200 Poweramp then into a 1960a cab... It sounded pretty damn good. Thats when I played guitar for a progressive death metal band... Fun stuff.

Older.. I bought it in 95, the first year the combo version came out(60 watts).. I also have access to the 5150 head as well and to me the combo always sounded better. They are similar but very different amps in sound...

When I bought it, I was dead set on the head, but I kept A/B'ing with the combo and the combo just sounds better, IMO,, Not as much bass, but.. SOund is sound,, and I like it better..

Return to “Music Cafe”