KVR Electronic Jazz Collab

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i could contribute an acid line if you guys want one :D
https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/
Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.
Cecil B. DeMille (1881 - 1959)

I'm surprised nobody tried to kill me after this... :hihi:

Really, the delay lama playing this song was kind of a joke. Here is just the chords:

http://jakob.magiera.net/sound/kvr_one_ ... 100bpm.mp3

Chords in Bb:

That sheet music (Old Real Book 1 volume 5 right?) looks a little suspicious... The version I play has another [A] after the section, with a tricky little rhythmic turnaround at the end. Old Real Book 1 vol 6 corrected this.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

hm... while I'm always a bit tentative to speak about "correctness" when it comes to music, I invite you to post the "correct" version :D

I can make a chart for you when I get time... but listen to the Tom Jobim link posted here earlier on to hear the form.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Oh, the tracks are just flooding in, aren't they? :roll: :hihi:

you can upload your track here:

http://jakob.magiera.net/upload.html

hey, i offered to play along, was just waiting for something to say 'go ahead' or something to that effect :p

it's just that acid might be a bit too much for what you have in mind ;)
https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/
Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.
Cecil B. DeMille (1881 - 1959)

Yeah, sorry mate, I thought we were waiting on Greg. The form in that chart IS essentially ABA, but I can't recall the rhythmic turnaround he's talking about :)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

I'm going to start working on the percussion track right now. I'll post here later tonight when it's ready. I'm going to follow the original Jobim form and leave room for 3 solos (A-B x3). Sound good? :)
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

Indeed! :)

Sorry it doesn't look like I'll get to the scanner in time (sounds like people have already started)... but listen to the YouTube link posted before. The rhythm turnaround doesn't stick out a lot, it's just more like an [A] prime, not an exact repeat of [A], because the melody (and most importantly the rhythm of the melody) is different in the last 4 bars or so.

It sounds like pretty much what's in the chart above, besides some extra changes which aren't necessary :?

You are reading the coda in the above chart, right? I read that chart as a clumsily written ABA (there was no need to make a coda out of it, except that it save the writer two lines).

Well, I abandoned my instruments and decided to go with a very simple clave and hi-hat beat. Until the song takes on more form, I see no need in embellishing the beats (ie adding offbeats, build-ups, syncopation, etc...). So after lots of trial and error, I ended up with the basics of KISS (keep it simple stupid).

I used a BPM of 145 as this was very close to the original recording I listened to. The pauses in the hi-hat part denote a change from A -> B and B -> A. I left room in the middle for three solos, so the form is as follows:
ABA
AB
AB
AB
ABA

I can add some pizazz once the chords and melody are laid down. I also think that a live pandeiro would sound excellent with this song, but I'll have to practice up quite a bit to get a good rhythm on it live. :) It's too bad we can't all sit in the same room and jam this out properly, but the online approach to jazz is very interesting nonetheless.

Who's next?

Samba de uma nota só

Hey freeztar,

Sounds great, but did you miss Jakob's above email where he posted a starting mp3 at 100bpm? One of you will have to re-submit to match the other's tempo :)

Return to “Music Cafe”