Who says Vsti's can't do metal?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

its just missing that... that... tone.

pattonfreak1 wrote:its just missing that... that... tone.
+1

the low chords aren't too bad, but you can tell right away that its not a real guitar as soon as the higher chords come in.
"a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption"

i quite like it in its own way...reminds me of obituary...

actually it reminds me i should go and listen to the new obituary album right now :)

Tim's emo edit reminds me of some sounds from Nirvana for some reason.

People say that synth guitar doesn't sound real, but there's plenty of metal guitar out there that you'd swear was a synth, even though it really is just shred guitar.

Here is a song I made a while back that includes a "pseudo-metal" guitar track (it comes in at 18 seconds). I made the patch with Firebird. The bass and drums are from Wusikstation.

It doesn't really compare with TOTC's, but it's a testament to how powerful and easy-to-program Firebird is. It also happens to have an "edgy" sound that's very conducive to making distorted, acid-sounding leads.

I would still love to have some clue how you made that, Frank! Are we allowed to guess? :wink:

Uch

Uchdryd wrote:Here is a song I made a while back that includes a "pseudo-metal" guitar track (it comes in at 18 seconds). I made the patch with Firebird. The bass and drums are from Wusikstation.

It doesn't really compare with TOTC's, but it's a testament to how powerful and easy-to-program Firebird is. It also happens to have an "edgy" sound that's very conducive to making distorted, acid-sounding leads.

I would still love to have some clue how you made that, Frank! Are we allowed to guess? :wink:

Uch
Nice! Very "Doom"ish. Reminds me of that techno-guitar sound from the 90's.

Ok, I'll spit it out...lol, though I'm enjoying the praise, I just can't take that much credit for the actual sound, just the composing and production. :) So, vsti's and products used are as follows:

1. Kontak 2 loaded with Monzter Guitars II by Precision Sound (I actually made this set to demo it, not sure if they'll use it on the site, but was fun to make anyway :D ). I used 2 tracks each loaded with 1 MGII program (fifths and FX).

2. EZdrummer with the DFH add-on for the drums. I did make some adjustments in the mixer, if you'd like the preset, I'll post it when I get home on monday (out of town at the moment).

3. ManyBass for the bassline.

So, yeah...all that sound in only 4 tracks, 3 instruments :)

Effects used:

1. Nomad Factory Studio Channel on all tracks; custom settings.

2. Waves C4 and Linear EQ on the master buss.

3. Nomad Factory Liquid Bundle II Chorus and Delay on the guitar effects.

That's it. Pretty small setup, very easy on the CPU.

Now go buy Monzter Guitars II so you can all sound amazing!!! :D :D :D Hell, pick up the bundle and grab MGI too while you're at it.

Peace
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Ah, so it's not a synth after all.

I've got Monzter guitars 1 and it sounds really good if you need those seriously phat Nu-metal chords. But that's all it can do though.
I'm working on some heavy guitar using RealStrat atm. Sounding pretty good, and it's a lot more flexible than Monzter guitars....although I must admit I've only tried version 1.

TotcProductions wrote:Johnny2Johnny: Hey Nice Programming sir. :) You're definitely dedicated. :D

I ran your mp3 through a processing chain and came up with this: johnny2johnny Emo Riff

Still needs some work...but with the right fx, you can get most sounds with FireBird. :)

Stay away from that Emo though bud, next thing you know, you'll be wearing sweaters and wiping your nose off on them. :hihi: :P

Well, I can't let all that time you spent working on the FireBird presets go unrewarded, so head over to www.pro-sounds.net and pick 1 product (any one, no price limit or anything) and PM me with your choice and email address so I can send it over promptly. :)

Peace 8)

Thank you very cool... PM sent....
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Armadillo wrote:Ah, so it's not a synth after all.

I've got Monzter guitars 1 and it sounds really good if you need those seriously phat Nu-metal chords. But that's all it can do though.
I'm working on some heavy guitar using RealStrat atm. Sounding pretty good, and it's a lot more flexible than Monzter guitars....although I must admit I've only tried version 1.
mmhmm...RealStrat is next on my list. Dying to get my hands on it. :D

Anyway, yes, I agree...the MG series is not really useable in a context outside of the death, thrash, Nu, and other monster-metal genres. But, for any subgenre of that metal culture, it's gold as far as I'm concerned. :)

Peace 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Well, I guess its easy for me to say now, but, I am pretty sure I would have guessed Monzter Guitars. I have listened to the demos many times, thinking about picking them up (the price is definitely fair). But, the sound never did it for me.

I guess I collect sample electric guitar libraries more than most (Lyrical Distortion 1 & 2, LPC Clean and Distorted, I just picked up Horizon Overdrive while it is being blow out, Vintaudio Electrics, even Sonic Synth's electric guitars).

To me, the best bet is LPC clean and Dirty, and double tracking them. Lyrical Distortion (which will probably be sold for a great price in a group buy) is cool and has great scripting programming in Kontakt, but I don't love the sounds as much as LPC (though I am getting some better results running LD through Guitar Rig 2).

I think only on my most recent pieces have I gotten close to where I want to be with electric guitars. I will keep working on it. (check out Trick or Treat at www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness for my latest attempt).

jeffn1
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

You want a crazy guitar leead sound ? Try ziokiller's Milestone through distortion... I think master Tony Ostinato posted a demo of that once, killer.

Return to “Music Cafe”