early remastered works of the eighties made on 4tracks k7

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Beeing on the way to achieve the production of a remastered colletion of works made on a 4track cassette recorder (you may knew the Teac/Tascam portastudio 144 that AFAIK seems to be the very first of his generation) i'm then, of course, glad to submit to you a few samples of these for your own evaluation (4 of them, from a selection of 29 tracks, from about a hundred original recordings)

So they're made of a 4 tracks, many acoustic instruments, many experimental soundtakes related to a use of included effect (many delays among others) in real time, a few electronic instrument, a very few sequenced melodies

This stategy much helped me to compensate the lack of instrumental technique that may appear sometimes, in retrospect ( especially when soloing, therefore they're most of the time deeply immersed in the overall harmony )

________

www.anak-krakatoa.net/~downl/4tracks/15.mp3

this one comes from early 1982, based on repetitive theme played with a sanza (or kalimba, this technique was directly inspired by the use of step sequencer on the german Krautrock music of late seventies like tangerine dream, Edgar Froese in solo, or especially Klaus Schulze) , the only electric instrument was this kind simulated bass that roughly appears in the end part of the song, that and some of the infamous delayed effect of my voice at the beginning except, i'm quite proud of the final result and the overall mood of this one...

________

www.anak-krakatoa.net/~downl/4tracks/23.mp3

this one was base in a short sequenced on a korg poly-800 and as well, except the heavily delayed electric guitar single bass note, everything was acoustic-based

________

www.anak-krakatoa.net/~downl/4tracks/88.mp3

this one comes from a happy rythmic effect made with the layer of a tambourine sample (Roland S10) and a arpegiated FM synth note (Yamaha TX81Z) very impressive for me how the same sample change character on transpostion : the introducing riff come from the same layer at about 2 octaves shift and, you may imagine, is basing this entire, minimalistic and spontaneous composition/improvisation

________

www.anak-krakatoa.net/~downl/4tracks/68.mp3

this one came out after a few years of daily practice of all kind of soundtakes, and mixing experiences and pushes quite close the limits of what i could experiment of soundakes and tape effects...a lot of the "Random mod" in big size of the Early Reflection program of the old Yamaha SPX90 that i liked both for it arithmic ( and "horrific") character and the feeling of angles that shines in these echoes, also some drop out because it was the very end of the cassette i used

________

Actually the only mastering/restoring process was a stereo equilibration ( independant normalisation of both channels ) and then denoising hisses

If anyone would have some good suggestion on other mastering processes that would shine to their ears i'll be very glad to here !

Feedbacks are welcome anyway, as usual...

:wink:
Last edited by Krakatau on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

BTW

Here an early sample i've made of what should be, if i ever found a publisher, the front cover of the production

:?

Just checked track 1... very cool, I love that hypnotic style and this one sets a great mood. 8) The sound is not bad, I know it well as I've dumped a lot of work from cassette to HD.

As for your cover art concept, I think you need to take another look at the font and the font size... imo. :)

I'll check the others as I get a chance.
Image Image

bumpidoo...

You were way ahead of your time, Krakatau....
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

what do you mean ?

it's question of music, not customs

On the other hand, the technique, even obsoleted, has a certain feel you won't reproduce with actual arsenals

I disagree with your statement that seems here irrelevant to me , mate...

and honestly my personnal sense of diplomacy doesn't allow me to reduce easily my point of view to the two usual words for such circonstances,

...even though i may admit it would, but only at a certain degree, reflect what i mean ( it ...)

:wink:

"Feedbacks are welcome anyway, as usual..."

Sorry, i had a little wine in me and didn't finish my sentence..You were way ahead of your time...Sorry, i understand the misunderstanding now. My bad.

:lol:

well i may realise that its 9 AM here ( and a cold, pouring rainy day at Geneva ) and i assume your still awaken very late, left alone and lost in the dark nignt of your early morning ( i swear i can even here a wolf crying somewhere from the depth of the grand canyon !!!!!!!!!)

Very opposite mood...

____

Still hoping (perhaps) for some more relevant criticism though...anybody else ?

:cry:

______

@Jazzyspoon : well i still supposed that you may have change a previous sentence that you meant
If it's the case i would say you might be right to point that it is at many aspects old-fashioned styles of both music and technique, just the way it would have been said had no constructive values

bumpydee ...doobeedoobeedoo !!!!

Return to “Music Cafe”