InstaJungle+dblueGlitch+Automation=BreakbeatHeaven

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you love Breaks?

I luuurve Breaks!!!
64%
Breaks are the spawn of SATAN!!!
18%
WTF is "Breaks"?
9%
WTF is "Breaks"?
9%
YouR TrAck sUckS!!!111 lololol
No votes

Total votes: 11

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Southern Wind

+ filtered drum loop
+ sequenced, layered drums samples from that drum loop
+ dblue Glitch set to global reshuffle on the hihats
+ multi-pass track muting/unmuting
+ Ilosynth and Odo's Unknown pads

I love breaks.

Nice! I love the way the growl bass relates to the chordy pad. Top drums, though I'd love to hear a 4/floor beat version...

Marco :D

Bonteburg wrote:though I'd love to hear a 4/floor beat version...
O.o

That's a joke right? . . . RIGHT!?!

napalmbob wrote:
Bonteburg wrote:though I'd love to hear a 4/floor beat version...
O.o

That's a joke right? . . . RIGHT!?!

LOL... :D you are definately are drummer. You program drums like a drummer. its fantastic. anyways, I am a little unhappy with the drum sound... Not the way they are programmed perse.... but what you are using..... IMHO is sub par.. now, the only reason I am mentioning this, is because, for a long time I wanted to synth my own drums... I am not in perfectly tuned room, and while trying to synth my own drums, I had a whole string of very muddy tracks, with sucky drums.

I gave up. I went ahead and I bought some amazing single shot drums..

However it is different for you. You can not just use any good dance kit. You are going to need some seriously personal stuff. I think your choices are, to learn to make your own drums, or go on a drum search. Because mate... The htz were dull, and flappy, the crash was to chime, the snr had no mid a sharp top, and a muddy bottom, the kik was week, and the ride was too thick.....

Just imagine you with fine tuned drum sounds... Wow... I would love your breaks. also... for really good break, you need a hard bass...

But, I like what your doing here a lot. I really do... and I am really nobody to be saying anything about other peoples stuff. you know just some guy I am. but come on mate, your going to program drums like this... well, than use some killer drums... please do not take offense to my comments... I hope they are recieved in a positive and helpful way,, and remember I could be very very wrong...

Edit= i voted for wtf is breaks :D
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

There is no end to my love of breaks. Your track is nicely mellow and subdued but I think that the drums sit between two schools of throught. You could have either thinned out the low end and used a 909 kik to replace the main driving beat or you could have layered the break with a second brighter one to give it a bigger sound.

The over all composition of the track is great, I mean if I hear a break beat, I'm gonna love it. That being said a reworking of the drums is in order IMO for the trac to reach it's full potential.

Thanks for the cool morning chill out.
3am

To both Johnny (did you get my track yet) and justin:

I knocked this up 45 minutes. I just grabbed a drumloop at random and dropped it in the fruity slicer and ripped out the sounds. I then recreated the original loop by layering the samples. The original loop got the filter treatment while I copy and pasted a shitload of the same pattern in the playlist.

I mapped mutes to my MIDI controller, hit record and played with my buttons (hehe, dirty mind). And I hit the buttons on the Instajungle every now and then too.

I went back over the drumtrack with the "bass" part (a shitty bassloop in the slicer and slightly rearranged) and the "wind" part (an alright sample I chopped to 16ths), muting/unmuting them. I then recorded me playing the Ilosynth, and copied that for the Unknown (my 2 favourite synths). I added Fruity Fast LP's to them and automated them in the playlist (ie: not by recording knobs, but by drawing envelopes).

Finally, I added a few subtle effects, like the dblue Glitch on the hats bus (there's no ride) and set it for some subtle shuffling. I cut out a few bars of drums in the middle to create a break/build formula and dropped compression on the drum bus and the master bus.

This was a test to see if I could knock up a track by "playing" the mute switches rather than sequencing everything. And besides the shitty choice of samples (and I did it thru cheap headphones), it is a success.

Plus, I wanted to have a poll. :D

EDIT: I grammar have bad, so I fixed that.
EDIT 2: Actually, more of a note: when you said synth drums, did you mean creating drum sounds from a normal VA softsynth? I use Drumatic for tuned drum sounds, but there are a few other drum synthesiserseses around you should explore first.

napalmbob wrote:EDIT 2: Actually, more of a note: when you said synth drums, did you mean creating drum sounds from a normal VA softsynth? I use Drumatic for tuned drum sounds, but there are a few other drum synthesiserseses around you should explore first.
DKS Pro

http://araldfx.com/dks/

well, I have gone out and been exploring drums, and why they sound they way they do in dance music over the last few weeks... bassically, and this is the information I have learned recently so it might not be right... but bassically the general idea is that samples are the best way to work with drums in dance music... The old 808s and 909s were sample bassed... apperently, in what I am trying to do at least... a kick drum contains 3 parts, a sine wave, a kick, and a ht... ( this is real basic,) and the whole thing is to layer these to create a powerful kik now a whiles back, I spent a hundred dollars on some pretty great sampled drums, that are played in a vst.. probably some of my best money spent yet. because the drums I think are fab... and yeah I was making drums on softsynths, and apparently there are other roads to take that might get a better result... Now I can totally understand why Justin is using dks pro, and I also understand why people use battery... they are sampled bass.

but you must know what your doing to get Dks pro, and battery to work well for you. and Justins drums.... spot on brother!!

for me though, its made a big huge difference to have pro produced drums to back up my tracks... I thought I would share the result I am having because I thought it was a positive note..... Perhas in the future when I have some more cash I am going to upgrade to stylus.. I have a very small shopping list at this point, but unfortunatlely it is an expensive shopping list, and its going to take me some time to achieve it... in the meantime. Drumatic is awesome... I think that is a very good synth to get proper dance drums with, but I dont like the htz in it. I dunno, did you hear the the Htz in my midnight skateboarder track? Listen to the c ht
the open hi hat is too too cool.

Ok, I hope I am not being arrogant... I dont want to say, he look at my drums they are awesome. cause they are basic. my drum programming is very very basic, and it might actually need a bit of work. but my drum sounds I think have gone lightyears ahead of what I was doing.....

No I dont have your track, wanna do "you send it? " I am playing a small party next sunday morning :-) I have some pretty wild wav's to mix it with if I can get it.... 8)
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Yeah, the hats suck. Thats why I have a sample library like everyone else.

johnny2johnny wrote:The old 808s and 909s were sample bassed...
TR 808 = 100% ANALOG goodness
TR 909 = Analog except for sampled cymbals

One of the coolest things about DKS Pro is it has constrained randomization. You can select random Bass Drum and it will randomly change parameters along the lines of a Kik drum. You can do the same thing for snares, cymbals and other percussive sounds. It is surprisingly easy to learn the concepts behind drum synthesis once you get into DKS. Once you have the concepts down you can use any VA synth to produce drum sounds. Some of the most useful things for synthesizing your own drums are a noise generator, a pitch envelope and a self oscillating filter.

3am

ok, when i am ready to try again with my own drums, I will demo it :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”