First Real Drumkit Recording - Feedback please?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, I was very excited today to finish my first real drumkit recording in my home studio. Using the recorderman setup with a kick and snare top mic, this is the first recording that came out.

I would REALLY love to hear what you guys think of the sound of these drums and how you think they can be improved. I would love to hear everything from the harshest critique to any compliments you might want to give. I'm open to it all, so no need to hold back I'm ready to learn!

This song is very short so it shouldn't steal too much of your time!

Reflekshun - Contemplation drum test (2.3MB)

Thanks so much anyone who listens and also whoever is able to give any guidance on the sound or anything else.
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Hi there!

Nice crisp sound, suits the instrumentation. I would have mixed it a little differently - snare brighter and more forward, and the hats and ride further back, but that's just my style.

The drum bus compression sounds a bit odd though at places - the hats and ride are popping out a bit sometimes between the kick and snare. Perhaps the release is too long? The sounds are all very short and crisp, it depends on what kind of sound you're going for with bus processing. You might want to try a very quick release (and even quicker attack) to keep the levels more consistent. Then maybe mult the drum bus and throw on your best room reverb, and compress that more heavily for some meat.

Then again, my taste is a little different to yours. ;)

-Kim.

Hey Kim! Thanks for listening :)

Just about everything you've said hits home with me, I think the snare issue was a combination of the snare used (rather large and deep sounding) and not using the bottom snare mic where all the shiny high end lies. Any mid-high eq on the snare or Overhead tracks tended to worsen the problem of the hats and ride coming out a bit to forward in the mix. If anyone has any tips on mic positioning that diminishes the sound of hihats, please let me know!

Interesting tips on the compression I'm definitely gonna go back and play with your suggestions there. Also worth having a listen to the hats/ride jumping in and out. Lots to learn!! Thanks a bunch for all the feedback :)
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Return to “Music Cafe”