I really like the rain....

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eh, sometimes I can be so hard on myself. I have edited my original post...

shucks, here is a flowing waterfall of frequency....

http://stuff.johnnyadler.com/listen/Rain.mp3

^--- triPpY SounD deSigN
:)

The limits of my sanity, and something
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Wow. Difficult to listen to, particularly the intro. The drums tend to ground it when they come in, turning it into a more structured sound. I'm not sure of the "when" of listening to it: it's certainly not background music, but it's hard to actively listen to.
Kurt Schulenburg

I like this comment. Yeah, its a little abstract... :oops:
I used to think the internet was going to unite mankind. Now I realize the internet is perhaps mankinds greatest wasteland of bickering, greed, and narrow minds. " And we all shine on, " Imagine that.

Nice, johnny. I have a couple suggestions. The lead or 'ever present arp' needs to be more of a droning sound, IMO. Try bathing it in some deep delay and slightly trimming some of the hi-mids (or even putting a very very slow modulation filter on it). It just tends to go on a little long without change and it gives it a static feel.
You've got a good start here. There some nice arps, tarnce drums, and J2J style, but its hard to get past the 'static' lead arp to comment on the mix overall.
Let me know if this develops further. It will go good places if you keep on it.
I hope this was the kind of feedback you were looking for.
peace

Thanks Jazzy, yeah I was hoping for some really cool feedback even though i have been very busy and unable to comment in the cafe as much as I would like.

I am going to take you advice and do some reworking tonight. I'm still searching for that thing. I can't describe it, but I know what it is. And it can't be seen or heard, it just has to be felt...

Thanks for the feedback, its to the drawing board tonight, with a few more filters, chords, and delay

:) :)

johnny2johnny wrote:I like this comment. Yeah, its a little abstract... :oops:
what is it that makes this 'abstract' , in your opinion ?...

normal wrote:

How about the fact that its music? Music by defination is one of the most abstract forms of art. Therefore any piece of music is abstract by default.

...... Hows that for an opinion?

i like the start, although i'd like to have heard more movement as it progresses, it's very static.

the 4/4 kills it for me tho.

if it was me, i'd mess with the arp (realtime or automated, i'd go with real time in this case cos you'll get more "happy accidents") to introduce some life and play with the pattern some, make it drop in and out of time a bit.

ditch the rest tho, too formulaic imo (but i hate kick clap hat patterns) if you want to add percussion, take a more glitchy route, pops and clicks (especially at very high res) would add to the water feel rather than smother it.

edit: i do quite like the initial sound though.

cheers,

steve.

the sound grows on me...it speaks deeply to the weirdness inside. 8)

i like how it's just this barrage of sound. successful in my opinion. i'd throw some piano in there when the clap beat kicks in. but then that may make it too chill...hmmm...

joshhunsaker wrote:the sound grows on me...it speaks deeply to the weirdness inside. 8)

i like how it's just this barrage of sound. successful in my opinion. i'd throw some piano in there when the clap beat kicks in. but then that may make it too chill...hmmm...

Thanks Josh, I have a 3:00 pm meeting, but when its over, I will listen to your music, however that might not be till 7 or 8 est..

Thanks... 8)

blaster78 wrote:i like the start, although i'd like to have heard more movement as it progresses, it's very static.

the 4/4 kills it for me tho.

if it was me, i'd mess with the arp (realtime or automated, i'd go with real time in this case cos you'll get more "happy accidents") to introduce some life and play with the pattern some, make it drop in and out of time a bit.

ditch the rest tho, too formulaic imo (but i hate kick clap hat patterns) if you want to add percussion, take a more glitchy route, pops and clicks (especially at very high res) would add to the water feel rather than smother it.

edit: i do quite like the initial sound though.

cheers,

steve.

Very helpful mate. I think your right, that when I remix this with Jazzy's suggestions I am going to try and add some more tribal and percussive sounds.

This was helpful... Cheers

it seems to take a long time for the music to progress. for example, the first minute has very little change, as well as the second minute. it's as if after every minute (for the first couple), the song will jump suddenly up to the next "section".

i look forward to hearing the next rendition of this

johnny2johnny wrote:
normal wrote:

How about the fact that its music? Music by defination is one of the most abstract forms of art. Therefore any piece of music is abstract by default.

...... Hows that for an opinion?
i've checked ...
yes ...

that's definately an opinion you've got there ...

CorradoCoia wrote:it seems to take a long time for the music to progress. for example, the first minute has very little change, as well as the second minute. it's as if after every minute (for the first couple), the song will jump suddenly up to the next "section".

i look forward to hearing the next rendition of this

This is not like my other tracks. This time I was really going for something a bit different. I wanted to focus a little more on frequency and sound design. Its also the first track I made in ableton live, so its bound to have a little learning curve fer me. Anyways for the next rendition I will be adding some percussion, and trying to get more modulation in the synths, possibly adding some more sounds... we shall see.

Thanks.

what were you using before Live?

Return to “Music Cafe”