Is there a genre to describe this?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

some 160 bpm noodling

I normally play acoustic guitar, so this is a stretch for me. I used superwave P8 for the bass line and for the trance arpeggio stuff. Mr. Ray's 2.0 for the EP and Charsiesis for the chorus on the EP. The beat is me trying to be KVRian 'core' and not having too much success. supatrigga helped where I had no clue.

I am looking for constructive criticism here. I do want to learn more about this kind of music.

-Scott

rockstar_not wrote:some 160 bpm noodling

I normally play acoustic guitar, so this is a stretch for me. I used superwave P8 for the bass line and for the trance arpeggio stuff. Mr. Ray's 2.0 for the EP and Charsiesis for the chorus on the EP. The beat is me trying to be KVRian 'core' and not having too much success. supatrigga helped where I had no clue.

I am looking for constructive criticism here. I do want to learn more about this kind of music.

-Scott
Hi Scott,

Nice piece, I like it. Nice clean comp and it holds onto my ear well..

Did you ever consider weaving an acoustic guitar track into this?? Not too weird to try.

Wyatt

Wyatt wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:some 160 bpm noodling

-Scott
Hi Scott,

Did you ever consider weaving an acoustic guitar track into this?? Not too weird to try.

Wyatt
Wyatt, I didn't consider that. I just knocked this out last night in a couple hours - which also involved sampling the kick, snare, hats and perc stuff from an existing loop which I then programmed. So, I didn't do any actual signal recording last night. I could try adding in some acoustic guitar for more variety. It's a bit boring right now with just the trance arppegio and the EP as the only chordal instruments. Maybe the lead line needs to be an acoustic guitar.

-Scott

rockstar_not wrote:
Wyatt wrote:
Hi Scott,

Wyatt
Wyatt, I didn't consider that. I just knocked this out last night in a couple hours - which also involved sampling the kick, snare, hats and perc stuff from an existing loop which I then programmed. So, I didn't do any actual signal recording last night. I could try adding in some acoustic guitar for more variety. It's a bit boring right now with just the trance arppegio and the EP as the only chordal instruments. Maybe the lead line needs to be an acoustic guitar.

-Scott
I wouldn't say boring..it holds it's own, and is clean enough and pretty enough to get by with it.

I think musicians have a lot of imagination and probably get bored easily. :)

I just went and listened to some more of your songs and I can hear a nice acoustic rhythm track on this, backing even an electric lead..and then, maybe I have too much imagination. :)

Seriously, it is a nice clean composition, and it is tempting to hear what you might do with it.

Wyatt

Wyatt,

Thanks for the kind words. I will have to give your suggestion a try. I was also working out some controller mapping on my M-Audio Oxygen 49 also at the time.

I'll have to return to this little experiment soon and see what can be added/subtracted to make it groove better.

-Scott

Not what I'd expect from you, which is cool - I like when people stretch their artistic wings. I have no idea of constructive criticism by genre per se, but it was enjoyable. Slightly, slightly repetitive. Could use one more part at least, perhaps even a vocal, to mix it up, IMO. I'm hearing female vocal, fairly reverbed, not too prominent in the mix.

Don't fade the drums or the gated/arpeggiated key/strings in, I'd say have both come in simultaneously after a few measures. I'd tighten the range of the volume automation or LFO or whatever is driving the fade in/out of the gated/arpeggiated key/strings so they don't fade quite so quiet at the low end of the scale.

Just needs something to tie it all together and fill in a few of the too quiet gaps.
Regards, Mike

mn wrote:Not what I'd expect from you, which is cool - I like when people stretch their artistic wings. I have no idea of constructive criticism by genre per se, but it was enjoyable. Slightly, slightly repetitive. Could use one more part at least, perhaps even a vocal, to mix it up, IMO. I'm hearing female vocal, fairly reverbed, not too prominent in the mix.

Don't fade the drums or the gated/arpeggiated key/strings in, I'd say have both come in simultaneously after a few measures. I'd tighten the range of the volume automation or LFO or whatever is driving the fade in/out of the gated/arpeggiated key/strings so they don't fade quite so quiet at the low end of the scale.

Just needs something to tie it all together and fill in a few of the too quiet gaps.
Thanks for listening and for the tips.

-Scott

rockstar_not wrote:some 160 bpm noodlingThe beat is me trying to be KVRian 'core' and not having too much success.
The beat's fairly solid. Make it twice as complex and use a lot of rolls+filter sweeps and you'll be Richard D. James. :P Do you have an example of what you're going for here? I'm saving your track for reference + later analysis.

dark.nowhere wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:some 160 bpm noodlingThe beat is me trying to be KVRian 'core' and not having too much success.
The beat's fairly solid. Make it twice as complex and use a lot of rolls+filter sweeps and you'll be Richard D. James. :P Do you have an example of what you're going for here? I'm saving your track for reference + later analysis.
Hmm, make it twice as complex. Richard D. James (googling now) aha - Aphex Twin. Heard of him, haven't actually heard him. I think my local library has an Aphex Twin CD I'll have to check out.

Filter sweeps on the beats or on everything else or both? I don't know how to program rolls so I'll have to find some to sample. Or do you just do a machine gun light volume programming of the snare (1/64th beats or something like that?)

-Scott

listened to this last night, great groove and sound happening here man.
should be a very cool finished product

rockstar_not wrote:Filter sweeps on the beats or on everything else or both? I don't know how to program rolls so I'll have to find some to sample. Or do you just do a machine gun light volume programming of the snare (1/64th beats or something like that?)
Yeah, I was talking mostly about beats. He doesn't go crazy with filter sweeps in this, but it's a really neat vid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZGIrNf71Q

The Richard D. James album has some variety in it if you can find that.

Hi Scott!

I really enjoyed this I have to say! Very clean production and nice and tight bass line and drums!

Im not mad about the synth sounds - so I'd be interested to hear some guitar on this too! Perhaps thru dblues Glitch...

I think this is very impressive - I'd love to get my stuff as tight and clean as you have here!

:tu:

Dave

Had a little more time to work on this one tonight. Here's a new edit with some of your suggestions:

king 160 edit 2

More suggestions?

-Scott

think you came up with both the name and genre in the first post:

genre: noodling

title: 160bpm noodling

Return to “Music Cafe”