Mix the Monkey - re-shocked

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/8/6 ... 225_v2.mp3

Frohe Weihnacht to all of you guys.

Peter Gabriel has released his multitracks of "Shock the monkey" for a remix frenzy to the public domain. I've grabbed my set of samples and come up with this version.

Besides the Peter Gabriels vocals there's not much left aside a chunk of clangy percussion faded in at around 2:30 and the multitude of fairlight marimbas.

As for the rest: uhe's triple cheese for the reggaelectric off-beats and a grainy pad (I owe you , urs, so today i decided to purchase mfm2 to compensate!), Karnage and Triangle II for basses, Organized Trio, a little git of Ultra Sonic in the break. Lots of Ohmforce- LFO-Delay on the sends and yeah: a little extra tricki on the drums. Apart from the little bit of original percussion i've used nothing but Easy Drums X 8 (Beta 3). I routed it through dblue Glitch and ugo's Metallurgy, though.

I've had an extraordinary supply of vino nobile di montepulciano (non-vst stand alone version) to go with the production. that might explain for the excessive use of FX here.

Comments welcome
and the go take your kids and sing some for ole sante and dance around your christmas trees.

cheers, tai
Input: watching the world go by ...
Manifestors: AMD Athlon XP 2600 / Terratec DMX 6 Fire / Windows XP / Cubase SX ...
Output: McCartnoTRON

Cool stuff. I dig this.

Original Peter Gabriel has always been boring to me.
Your version isn't no way.
Great!

No_Use wrote:Original Peter Gabriel has always been boring to me.
BLASPHEMER!

Very nicely done. This is the kind of thing I hoped we'd hear when they offered those tracks for remixing. You nailed it!
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

I thought this competition was over and done back in the Summer?

I entered the competition and supposedly came in the top 50.

Here's my mashup...
http://www.realworldremixed.com/remix.p ... Xq9NU5OSYP

Greg
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Really well done! I can't fault it for anything. Thanks for posting this.

3am

siriusbliss wrote:I thought this competition was over and done back in the Summer?

Greg
Boy oh boy, how time's running!
You're right, Greg. Competition has ended long before I even found it. But the download pack is still available so I thought I'd jump on the chance to give the song the laid back kind of rolling groove I would have liked to push it ahead when it was recorded in the first place.

Naar, just kidding. Sure enough, in 1981/82 Gabriel and his fellow musicians weren't exactly what I'd call groovy. But then again he'd just emerged from Genesis and hat this new wave and punk thing going on all around him. And although I didn't check that, I doubt the Fairlight CMI allowed to set a swing rate by percentage. But not only Gabriel's arsenal of synth has changed since then, but so has part of his rhythm section. Namely from Linn Drum to Manu Katché seems a giant leap to me.

Anyways: Checked out your version, enjoyed listening an reading your listeners comments on the competition's site. Well done, Greg.

Thank's everyone for kind and encouraging feedback.
tai

:)
Input: watching the world go by ...
Manifestors: AMD Athlon XP 2600 / Terratec DMX 6 Fire / Windows XP / Cubase SX ...
Output: McCartnoTRON

Return to “Music Cafe”