6 months since i started this. sorta glitchy. sorta nice.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this was started sometime in the summer/fall season of 2007 but never quite managed to see it through the end until today when it was all ridiculously clear.

this is a 5 minute and something, 78 bpm, bit glitchy, rather lush, downtempo piece.

download by clicking here

i will listen and badmouth your track if you do the same for mine.

Very nice. If I have to nit pick then it would be that the hi-hat seems (IMO of course)just a little off the beat at the start of the bar, and that kind of interferes with the groove a bit. But otherwise the production is v nice indeed.
I'd be interested in seeing a list of the gear you used.
Keep em coming.

gear. what gear? just live 6 and a bunch of samples. finishing touches and final arrangement done in live 7. various fx but nothing fancy. i'm a heavy user of live's own fx and the kjaerhus classic suite.

iDumi wrote:gear. what gear? just live 6 and a bunch of samples. finishing touches and final arrangement done in live 7. various fx but nothing fancy. i'm a heavy user of live's own fx and the kjaerhus classic suite.
Impressive..it sounded like you played the guitar and flute live (they were the instruments if I recall correctly).
Nice mixing... it sounded very clear and not boomy or anything.

Actually I had a feeling you might have been using Live as sometimes it tends to
play loops that can sound a bit odd (that don't quite "groove"), this may account for that hi hat. This is of course my opinion, others may not have the same criticism.

the hihat was intentionally left a bit offbeat. i had always hard quantized and fit everything to a 1/16 or 1/32 grid. then it all started to sound a bit robotic and i figured it could do with some irregularities.

a dude way smarter than me once said "beauty lies in imperfection"

I love it. It's saved.

Absolutely gorgeous! Very well balanced sonically. Delightfully strange in places, heart-felt in others. I don't hear an off beat hi-hat :shrug: Though I was looking forward to one. Great tune!

Thanks.
3am

Yeah; very nice!

thanks for the encouraging words. they're quite welcome after a 6 month walk down the uninspired lane.

Hi,

I listen to it twice, very nice, the mood is kind of ''insecure'' !

Good work

+ 1 against the hihat. imho it's beyond the line between imperfection and deliberateness. I had it on the headphones where pan-positioning, too, is a little odd. Made me tilt to the right ...
Other than that: great work. dl'ed for deliberate repetitveness. :D
Input: watching the world go by ...
Manifestors: AMD Athlon XP 2600 / Terratec DMX 6 Fire / Windows XP / Cubase SX ...
Output: McCartnoTRON

iDumi wrote:the hihat was intentionally left a bit offbeat. i had always hard quantized and fit everything to a 1/16 or 1/32 grid. then it all started to sound a bit robotic and i figured it could do with some irregularities.

a dude way smarter than me once said "beauty lies in imperfection"
I think the word you may be looking for is "swing". I think Ableton should have lots of features to help make your rhythm "swing" a bit more. Something to do with quantizing- that is if you're unhappy with what you've done before. As I mentioned earlier the hi hat is the only aspect of the mix that was a little shall we say "out of place", and that's the only thing I would change- but I'm not you. The only real opinion that counts (ultimately) is your own.

PS Iam nitpicking and as someone mentioned before he/she didn't notice it.
PPS General opinion is that it's a great track :hihi:

Very cool stuff.

Victor.

Effing awesome buddy! Nice dark mood with a hint of melancholy, like the low end as well, the grainy guitar makes me feel at home and the beat is super tasty. I might have funked up the pan flute-y stuff a bit, but that's a wee nit. Good to hear some new stuff from you! :)

Edit: Oh, anyone who's having trouble with the hihat needs to just flex their sense of time a bit, it's really not a problem if you move your head the right way!
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”