A little sketch on a $150 classical guitar

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cross posted from RMS forum.....

My parents gave me some money for Christmas this year - I've had an itchy trigger finger for T3 as well as a cheap classical guitar.

Trigger pulled on the guitar. It's this one from Rondo Music:

Price was 150$ and 14$ shipping to Michigan.

Here's a clip I recorded tonight of a sketch I am working on. The guitar is tuned DADF#BE

Scott Lake - sketch

The hiss seems primarily in the mic channel - I recorded the sound of the guitar direct from it's built-in pickup on the left channel, and mic'ed it on the right channel.

UPDATE: I've re-recorded the sketch now that I figured out that I had the 20 dB pad enabled on my mic - making me turn up the pre-amp quite a bit so that the right channel had significant hiss.

Here's the new version:
rockstarNot - Valencia classical guitar with DADF#BE tuning, direct in left, mic on right

Near the end, there is a little snapping noise in the right channel - that's my ring finger knuckle cracking!

I'm very happy with my purchase. T3 will have to wait until another day.

-Scott
Last edited by rockstar_not on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wonderful piece and a nice tuning. :)
RogerPerrin

I'm up to my old hat tricks again.

Nice - both the sound and the music.
Would be good to develop this into something more

The pickup doesn't seem to be picking up the bottom strings very much.
I panned hard left and right to see what the mic'd and direct sounds were like separately.

Nice sound from the mic channel though

Rich

Bad english language

Hello, Scott,

Sweet year 2008 for you and your family.

I've listened your piece and I like the choice of a "live performance".
The sound is good, clear, "hearty".

You know what I think about your pieces and I say again I like your stuffs.
Your chords are peacefull.

Daniel Pompougnac

I realized this morning that I forgot to turn off the pad on my mic - so I had the mic pre-amp cranked too high.

Perhaps I had the bass dialed out of the pickup pre-amp too much. I'm still learning.

-Scott

rogerperrin wrote:Wonderful piece and a nice tuning. :)
Roger,

I found out about this tuning from looking into how Jose Gonzales tuned his guitar for the 'Veneer' album.

Someone has done an excellent job putting the entire album into tablature and also got the tunings nailed down.

With this tuning, you can do some beautiful chords very simply.

I'm sure I'll be playing with it more. Thanks for listening and commenting.

-Scott

Sounds very nice. I've played very little with alternate tunings (on electric), but I definitely like the results you've gotten here.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

I think classical guitars seem to be one of the few things you can skimp out on price and still get a nice instrument. Just my 2. Nice song btw.

I'm surprised at the intonation you get, would be interesting to hear something played on the higher frets.

Cool sketch mate.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

kovacs wrote:I'm surprised at the intonation you get, would be interesting to hear something played on the higher frets.

Cool sketch mate.
Yes, this was all open string stuff - but it seems to have decent intonation even higher. I just really like the open string meat that this little box has right now.

I'll be playing with this thing regularly and I'll make sure that I record some higher fret materials. I haven't detected intonation issues up to the 12th fret (Can't easily go higher - neck joins the body at 12th fret on this box).

-Scott

FiascoAndretti wrote:I think classical guitars seem to be one of the few things you can skimp out on price and still get a nice instrument. Just my 2. Nice song btw.
I bought my yamaha classical for $99 brand new..and the intonation is better than my seagull acoustic.
"You must not only aim aright, but draw the bow with all your might."

Sounds promising, both as an instrument and the piece itself. To me, the guitar had a nice intimacy in the way the recording turned out.

nice..... soundwise and songwise... funny how the tuning really reminds me of Josés stuff

multree wrote:nice..... soundwise and songwise... funny how the tuning really reminds me of Josés stuff
The tuning is used on several songs on his Veneer album

DADF#BE

I just realized that I mis-labeled the .mp3 file.

The tuning is definitely DADF#BE regardless of what the .mp3 file name says :oops:

-Scott

UPDATE: I've re-recorded the sketch now that I figured out that I had the 20 dB pad enabled on my mic - making me turn up the pre-amp quite a bit so that the right channel had significant hiss. Updated original post as well.

Here's the new version:
rockstarNot - Valencia classical guitar with DADF#BE tuning, direct in left, mic on right

Return to “Music Cafe”