Jazzyspoon remixes 3AM Obstacles

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
First let me start by saying this remix has been a little bit of a frustrating adventure. Justin's songs are already pretty "out there" and remixing them only seems to result in a accidental attempt to tame his wildly original programming and intense sound design. But its just so tasty, I have had to try.
When listening to his tracks to do remixes of them (I have done 2 now), I realized that his music really is hard to take even the smallest parts away from. And sorting out what I want and don't want to use is just upsetting because there is so much I don't want to let go of. A real testament to his sound design skills.
So, my remixes of 3am tracks are always too busy and chock full of serious mixing hazards, even for my past record of regularly committing both.
Herein lies the frustration. This remix is a messy sty of his great song.

Anyways...BIG Thanks to Justin for at least letting me try. I may revisit this mix soon, but I'll roll it around in the KVR mud and see what feedback or advice I receive from you guys.

The original track and posting.....

and my current attempt..
OBSTACLES DEAR TO MY HEART (Jazzyspoon's bELATED remix) - 3AM
256 kbps 9.48mb 5:10

enjoy if you can.
peace.

Absolutely class "A"! I think you did a great job of giving it a dirtier more raw feeling but still coming up with a very clear mix. I love what you've don to the snare hits and the squelchy bass drum sounds. This one goes up on the refrigerator with an "A+"

Thanks-several-million!

cool remix, very energic!
well done man!

what trasher is used on the drums?

awesome piece

actually it wasn't difficult at all to enjoy this glitchy mayhem. I listened to it three times in a row and revisited the original production, too. 20 Minutes well spend.

The new edit, of course, is very skillfully designed, arranged and produced. It'll be great to read what you used to accomplish that energetic clarity. My favorite part is where the brassy sounds come in at about two thirds through the tune.

My impression is that it is very difficult to associate the 3 am version and the edit with the two categories "original" and "remix". A remix would suggest that a theme or its accompaniment are varied. But what do you get when you vary something that in some parts first and foremost is just this: glitch? I suppose a variation of glitch is still glitch, only its intensity and energy can be altered. And this is how I would describe what has been done here: you've injected a whole lot of adrenaline into this piece.

I'll definitely keep it and test it as a soundtrack for a training run tomorrow.
Input: watching the world go by ...
Manifestors: AMD Athlon XP 2600 / Terratec DMX 6 Fire / Windows XP / Cubase SX ...
Output: McCartnoTRON

Thanks, guys. Maybe my ears are just dead to the freqs of this mix because i have heard too many times and I'm being overly hard on myself, maybe not. But glad you guys enjoyed it. Especially you, Justin.

ET, the original break drums are Justins beautiful drumayhem. I just reorganized and edited them to fit the intensity of the track and threw them through Reaktor's Flatblaster (kinda modified) for color and De La Mancha's Fuxxord for dimension. The drums I added are from Microtonic, a couple Reaktor ensembles, and some various Battery drums.
All the keyboards are Justin's original work - even that brassy horn sounding one towards the end. (that is actually a sort of tb303ish sounding wav originally, I just placed it carefully into certain spots, added some warmth via Powercore, and ran it through Audio Damages Dubstation letting it peak a little) I did put one Absynth patch in the background for some reinforcement of Justin's plucked stuff.
Hope this answered some of your inquiries.
Seriously, thanks for listening.

and so elaborate
must have been some work

it does answer my question :)
busy on the track myself now :)

Good. And I can't wait to hear everyone else's remix of Obstacles, too.

I just noticed my A+. It has been a very long never since I got one of those. Thanks, Justin.

1:30 min

done

uploading now

Very very skillfully done! A tough assignment for sure, but you've pulled off a really interesting shift on the original.
Image Image

great stuff, full of drive and power.

will have to have a listen to the original but i enjoyed this a lot.

very full mixwise as you say but hangs together nicely and sounds "heavy" rather than cluttered.

rosllow.

Thanks, Rosllow. Hearing that it could be considered heavy makes me believe it is my ears that need a break from this mix. When making more aggressive tracks like this, I tend to want to listen at slightly louder (but still safe) volumes when mixing. So, my ears and brain tire much quicker.

Poly, thanks, man - this was tough. The original was just too crazy good. But thats what remixes are about - promoting the awesome original. When will we get to remix one of your tracks? ;)

Last bump for the weekend crowd. :)

I like this alot, especially bc/ you focused on the bass and percussion more than the original.
+
New CD Release : 17 Cures For Migraine
Available for < free > or < pay what you want >
http://nerdhappy.com

Return to “Music Cafe”