Self Obliteration (Alternative/Experimental)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6205725

Figured out a new way to do vocals that I like OK. Before thought I just really didn't have it in me. CamelCrusher with the destroyer preset with a tiny bit of delay at 300ms and varying degrees of pretty fast spinning flanger. I actually have a new one I'm working on that I manage to sound just like David Bowie but without the clarity.

Self Obliteration and Don't You Know have the new vocals in them.

On Self Obliteration it's enough probably to listen to the first minute and last 90 seconds.

Listen or don't. Comment however.

Hey Jay,
This is truly bizarre. For that, I like it a lot. There are some clicks in the first minute that don't sound intentional emanating from the vocals (I think). You get bonus points from me for goth style. I did listen all the way through and it really does feel like it could go one more step before it's over, maybe adding big drums and a slow bassline (ala Bauhaus).

Jazzyspoon wrote:it really does feel like it could go one more step before it's over, maybe adding big drums and a slow bassline (ala Bauhaus).
Disagree. It's the mix of out of tune, obnoxious, repetitive, and otherwise unusually annoying sounds that make this track into something truly impressive. What you're doing to intensify the mood around 5:50 is perfect. More standard sounds (like a real bass or drums) would just dilute this.

This track is more an experience, period, than an aesthetic experience, but as experiences go it's quite something.

Multiple thumbs up.

Victor.

Yep! This piece had the salubrious effect of making me feel as if my head was melting slowly and inexorably. It sounds like a religious procession gone hideously wrong. Perfect!!!

I like the musical aspect of 'Self Obliteration' from an experimental point of view, but I don't dig the vocal aspect too much.

Now on 'Don't You Know' the vocals sound cool, and much better. The entire song is cool, just needs a bit of EQ IMO. The goth vibe on your stuff wins points with me as well. 8)
"a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption"

There is plenty in there to criticize but then I think there's an originality that makes up for it to some extent. Which isn't to say I've ever met anyone in the flesh who would actually want to listen to a song like this (other than me.) So thanks for listening. I agree with the comments.

It is supposed to sound annoying, repetitive, while also valiumlike, dreamy, ethereal; that this forgetting is nice in some ways but ultimately... really awful. Self obliteration is a hell of a thing.

I like it pretty much !
The voice are adding a feeling of insecurity...insanity I should say !

''for fans of: skinny puppy, wumpscut, leatherstrip, devo (for the ideas), Peter Murphy / Bauhaus, supposedly Coil who I've never heard. (Love's Secret Domain is 83 dollars?!) And supposedly Throbbing Gristle which I disagree with.''

You still never heard anything from Coil...;-) hep ! If you have to, try Scatology first!

Good work man...

"a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption"

Yes, thanks for that. :) I was going to do that obvious step eventually. Slowed by being miffed at the outrageous prices which probably aren't their fault. (Also I actually did search for them long ago on youtube now that I remember in relation to Skinny Puppy and they only had a couple songs up then that just weren't very good at all I'm afraid.)

Some of their songs are very good.

...:( Well crap. Rendering used to be very, very consistent for me. To the point that I quit listening closely to the rendered version.... Just listened to this and realized that the rendering really seemed to do bad things to it... And I posted that for everyone to listen to. :(

Oh well. I fixed it for what little it matters. (Wasn't some amazing song or anything.)

I like it- it does remind me a bit of Coil, in their better moments (they have great songs, also some terrible ones imo). I think the world needs more music like this (or at least I need to find more). Nice job.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Thanks. After a few days rest and listening to the correctly rendered version I really like it also... I think. Maybe could use something beyond the (purposely disjointed/falling apart) bells... something more to counter/protest the soma vocals.

Nice Mr.Sherman,

I like what your music man !

Mrstew

Return to “Music Cafe”