insider/outsider

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Do you:

work (write, play) pretty much fully within established genres
3%
work (write, play) pretty much fully outside of established genres
3%
work primarily within established genres but usually try to push their boundaries, expand them, change them
24%
work primarily outside but occasionally dip into established genres
10%
work without thinking about genres at all
59%

Total votes: 29

RELATED
PRODUCTS

another question is:

are you an insider (working within genres) or an outsider (working outside of genres)? or perhaps a no-sider who doesn't think about genres at all?

i instinctively distrust established groups, groups that are conscious of their group-ness. so before a genre becomes established, i might be interested in the area they're exploring. but as soon as it becomes SELF conscious, begins to celebrate itself and have secret handshakes ... i lose interest. that's me, but i have respect for all takes on this: fully insider, fully outsider, no-sider.

please leave the poll in the music cafe ... (i.e., don't move it to a different forum) ... i'm interested mainly in how songwriters respond to this. :-)

I'm an outsider that doesn't even think about genre's at all. Just doing what my mind and fingers bring forth

mystahr wrote:I'm an outsider that doesn't even think about genre's at all. Just doing what my mind and fingers bring forth
cool. i do think about genres (though i don't know them very well) ... mostly as areas to avoid (because of what i said in my first message).

rachmiel wrote:
mystahr wrote:I'm an outsider that doesn't even think about genre's at all. Just doing what my mind and fingers bring forth
cool. i do think about genres (though i don't know them very well) ... mostly as areas to avoid (because of what i said in my first message).
I answered that I push establish genre's boundaries (when I can), but also I am painfully aware of those genres I truly wish to avoid for various reasons. I would like to be an outsider, but I am probably more like a no sider with insider tendencies. For me, established genre's are there as either a tool of acceptance or a nemesis in cliche (consciously or unconsciously). This may place me in a couple of the answers depending on the current mood I'm in honestly.
Now I am suddenly confused by my own artistic dichotomy. I have no idea where I stand. Where's my coffee? It's too early for such thought provoking, Rach.
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachmiel wrote:
In my DJ years I was very much an insider in a single genre; stubbornheaded I rarely allowed myself to listen to anything else but funky housemusic. Having given up on melody, sequence and rhyhtmics all together was such a grand release and relief.
I don't care much for genres these days as I find most of em 'invented' for commercial purposes. Ok so its nice to know where to hang your coat and conform, I wouldn't be comfertable if I were pinpointed to a genre, I'd rebel and try and find a way out.

In the end its about music isn't it

mystahr wrote:In the end its about music isn't it
but we are all so conditioned by what we've heard (most of which is in established genres) that it's very difficult to be free of that conditioning, as listeners or songwriters.

It's clear that we all have influences...(genre, band, artists, etc...)
So we are reproducing what we like, what we listen. But the fun is to add our personnal touch, add a part of us in it !

There's an enormous difference between creating and copying.

I cannot say what genre of music I create and I don't care ! But I know what are my influence and i'm proud of that, because it's me..."Mrstew" ! :roll:

Nice poll by the way...i'm very...EMOTIVE !! :wink:

Mrstew

I work with whatever hair is up my ass at a given time. Sometimes it indicates something like genre, but I don't know what most of these genres are anymore, not at all, I'm so not modern. I started a minute ago with a tune from a lyric that is a 'rock' object, and it's gone in three different directions at once; I am NOT purist in any sense.

Right now I've half a dozen lyrics, which were lyrics in the first place, and I am interested in scansion, against some kind of 'regular' time with that.

Sometimes the words pop into my head nearly replete with a tune (like the one I will post Tonite ;) ;) ).

Song writing is not where I begin, btw, I am an instrumentalist and sound designer originally.

I am clearly not any kinda 'insider', but I don't buy into 'outsider' status, I am marginal enough to not exacerbate matters
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:I am NOT purist in any sense
that's like so pomo dude ... embrace the new pomo: mo! ;-)

Never give it a thought. Much like tempo, key, notes, or any other technical specifications. It's a personal journey of expression for me. A release. It must happen on an intuitive and emotional plane. It must involve something that feels magic to me. And when my eyes are closed and it flows out of me it is pure ecstasy. This is probably why I find straight ahead remixing such a difficult task.

None of this is to imply that I'm pushing or breaking boundaries... just that I don't think or care about it.
Image Image

rachmiel wrote:
I'm premodern. If not prehistoric.

jancivil wrote:
rachmiel wrote:
I'm premodern. If not prehistoric.
i'm popomo. sometimes: mo popomo.

Reminds me of that simpsons episode when moe tried to have a pomo bar

also, less is mo

jancivil wrote:Reminds me of that simpsons episode when moe tried to have a pomo bar

also, less is mo
moe pomo: ho ho ho!

Return to “Music Cafe”