April Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mellotronaut wrote:'Tram' is one of my all time favs, but you know that already ... .

Your and sHushi's comments are interesting and they smell a bit funny too.
I think, things are a bit more complicate. In my case: i try to oscillate between functional and dysfunctional, i try to learn from others and i try to forget, what i've learned too. I wanna be eclectic and i wanna have my own style. Oddbod is Oddbod and mello is mello. Music is mostly a listening process, yes it is: listening to and analyzing others' stuff and listening to oneself (means: inside and outside). Then comes playing and/or tweaking.
Lyrics: we can learn to write lyrics up to a certain degree, but then we have to forget, what we've learned.
Most important: i only want to have one Oddbod in the contest and i wanna have a good one. I don't want to have 20 imitators. Let's be quirky and varied!

m
mello, I am only talking about when I'm trying to win - and it's clear that's what S.HUSH is referring to as well. I don't think the songs that I've won with are ape-ing Oddbod, or Barnadine, or whatnot - just trying to incorporate some of the factors that seem to help place their songs in the top spots on a regular basis.

I don't want to outright copy them. I tried to outright copy Beck when I did 'The Golden Age' for the masquerade month a couple years ago. I did a pretty good job and poured alot of effort into trying to copy as exactly I could the beatiful sonic soup of that song. I happened to win that month, but it was an empty win because it was a 'photorealistic' rendering of an existing photo.

Now, what I learned in the process was, however, very rich. There are production techniques that I had to use that month which I've used over and over since. It was the first time I ever did BGVs. Now I use BGVs all the time. I'm not copying Beck by doing BGVs (or oddbod for that matter - who uses them in almost every song - something else I failed to mention in my study of his winning tunes), but they are just another element that makes a song interesting if done well.

I write plenty of music that I would never enter into the contest because I'm writing it for a different purpose than trying to 'win'. Those songs go into the regular 'cafe', not the contest. Or onto a kid's CD which I'm currently, slowly working on.

The problem of trying to 'win' is that if you also have the goal of being quite quirky, then those two goals are nearly completely contradictory. Some can pull it off like Dr. Apostrophe X and Knockman (where were those guys this month?), but there is still a pop-element, pop meaning 'popular' in their winning tunes.

I know, what you mean.
Therefore i say to everybody (incl. myself): Never try to win! :hihi:

cheers

m
"It dreamed itself along"

Reviews :D
Kundara - Zaiabazoo
the funky groove, the instrumentation, and the melodies took me right off the bat, found it brilliant. definite keeper. only negative point is the fade out finish.

m_luhtala - sweet as it gets
excellent vocal, the rest of the stuff is pretty great too. another keeper.

daRem - Marking The Miles
funky jazzy thing, also liked this one right off the bat, would benefit from a bit of a shinier production, imo. despite that, yet another keeper. :D

Farlukar - Toejam and Earl
found it to be funky, just the melodies weren't really my style, would've preferred one of the minor scales, not sure how'd it work in minor though :p

nikp2000 - df
didn't appeal to me in particular, although i found nothing 'wrong' with it, and i did find it somewhat funky (as most of the tracks).

Max el Belga - Dark Funk
melodies and samples didn't appeal to me for the most part, nor did the groove to be honest. it sounded to me more like a demo track for a large sample pack than a song.

oddbod - gotta be yourself
this one grabbed me instantly, definite keeper.

beanpole - Lets Get The Funk Outta Here
the song hiding here is basically lovely, but i just didn't like... any of the instrumentation unfortunately. would've preferred the vocal to be on a single octave.

Liqih - White
like the groove, and the (synthesized?) percussions are great, but the melodies don't work for me. also get the feeling that something's missing in the mid-range through out most of the track here, not sure what that something would be though.

Zeoy feat. Dacaumodo - Of Wars and Winds
excellent stuff, another keeper.

rockstar_not - Funk in the Junk
well right off the bat the sample was a turn-off for me, other than that, both your voice and the main instruments sound strained, and i would've preferred otherwise. i like the song that's hiding behind these perceived faults though.

Zombie Queen & The Shaking Sheikhs - The Letter from Funkistan
not my cup of tea from a few aspects, but mostly melodically. also happens to be the first song in which i didn't feel any funk at all. sorry.

Shirkant - MeNoFunk
reminds me of some oldschool 'electronic' music, or ambient-techno, hard to describe really. i don't feel the funk in this one either, but with better mixing, i probably would've given this a vote in a differently themed contest, most likely in a techno one (with techno utilizing a wide definition). some things that would've helped (though not for this contest in particular): riding the reverb's amount knobs, evolving the song more slowly, and a slower bpm.

EmeraldTablet - New Birth
somehow reminded me of reggea, not sure why. melodies didn't really appeal to me, and the drums sounded a bit weak. the only instrument that felt funky to me in this was the rhythm guitar type thing.

Urs - Excite Me
i was hoping for something more along the lines of Kundara's entry from you, but just as well that you didn't provide it, cause this song is wondeful too. i found myself wishing for more power on the drums though.

sevenoctaves - Feelin It
i liked the saxophone lick, but the high end percussions disturbed me. i think this saxophone lick would work great in a drum'n'bass remix, give it a shot ;)

core - on the beat
lovely stuff. could've used a leadline perhaps - maybe you should try sevenoctaves' saxophone lick, or a similar one, at any rate :D

Bill Messerschmidt - Afunkapella
just didn't do it for me, sorry.

Laura Michel Jarre - Can You Play A Ninth Chord?
fun stuff, just wasn't really my cup of tea. the repeats of the 'oh no' vocal kinda annoyed me, but i liked the rest of them.

Psy-T - Natures First
turned out funkier than i thought i could make it. sorry about the bitrate, just slipped my mind to turn off vbr. i asked to replace it with a 128kbps version but was declined :p

melT - defunkT (chocolate)
reminds me of Nasty Joanna a bit, just slightly dirtier with those moans :P very good song, and i'm not just saying that cause i had a part in it - my part in it was reduced to a repeated 'we got the funk' utterance for the most part anyway :D a more usual drumkit would've added to it, imo. didn't feel the funk here though.

lubi - right front differential seal & o-ring is leaking oil
didn't appeal to me at all, could've definitely used more in the way of drums. didn't feel the funk here either.

djsubject - Thats Cool
the good production/mixing/mastering is what got me with this song, a melodic instrument might've helped to raise it higher.

Laguna Rising feat. Mello - Petticoat Memories
the instrumentation and the mix didn't really work for me, but everything else did.

Autodafe - Funkube
loved this one, would've loved it even more if it weren't for the extreme distortion.

1-2-Many - You Got Funky
liked about 90% of this, not sure what's the remaining 10%, but what i am sure of is that the brass brought this one up a few notches for me.

Echo Voodoo - Dysfunktional
only the 'would you like to funk' hook actually did anything for me, but the rest sounded good despite not appealing to me really.

Prinzip Hoffnung - school's out forever
is the guitar jamming in the parts without vocals off-key or is it just my imagination? either way, it kinda ruined the song for me, as i liked everything else in it.

antoine.bertier - Julie had some funk
liked some of the melodies, and the vocal samples near the end, but despite feeling very funky, it also felt very sparse.

d'Mast - FunkGroove
good stuff, just missing a melody or hook, and the bassline could've been used during more of the song.

Thomekk - Ugly Dolly Shroop
nothing in particular grabbed me here, but i recognized the good production, kind of like with my opinion on djsubject & echo voodoo's songs.
https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/
Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.
Cecil B. DeMille (1881 - 1959)

Psy-T wrote: rockstar_not - Funk in the Junk
well right off the bat the sample was a turn-off for me, other than that, both your voice and the main instruments sound strained, and i would've preferred otherwise. i like the song that's hiding behind these perceived faults though.
I don't know what sample you are referring to - no samples were used in the creation of my track. If you are talking about the 'Hey, Hey, Hey, who want's to play?' - that was yours truly doing my best Fat Albert impression.

-Scott

Psy-T wrote: melT - defunkT (chocolate)
reminds me of Nasty Joanna a bit, just slightly dirtier with those moans :P very good song, and i'm not just saying that cause i had a part in it - my part in it was reduced to a repeated 'we got the funk' utterance for the most part anyway :D a more usual drumkit would've added to it, imo. didn't feel the funk here though.
Believe it or not: your files are entirely in it, some of them twice like the 303. :hihi: :wink: I wanted to use a drumkit originally, but then i preferred the spartane hihat (also yours).

:hug:

Psy-T wrote: Laguna Rising feat. Mello - Petticoat Memories
the instrumentation and the mix didn't really work for me, but everything else did.
:hug:

thanks a lovely hat!

Chris :D

Psy-T wrote:Reviews :D
Shirkant - MeNoFunk
reminds me of some oldschool 'electronic' music, or ambient-techno, hard to describe really. i don't feel the funk in this one either, but with better mixing, i probably would've given this a vote in a differently themed contest, most likely in a techno one (with techno utilizing a wide definition). some things that would've helped (though not for this contest in particular): riding the reverb's amount knobs, evolving the song more slowly, and a slower bpm.
Thanks for the review.:D

shrikant

Max el Belga wrote:Scoops,
It seems you've got the worst behind you, good luck and tx a lot ! :D
Max... .. . :P
Yeah,

Seemed to have forgot, one of the items on the "shit list" was quit smoking.

Yes, the hardest part could possibly be in the past

-Scps
Bunch O Stuff

mellotronaut wrote:
Hovmod wrote:oh, what's the point..? :shrug:
the point is: can we improve the voting-system?

ad darem: two possible changes (alternatively)
01 we could set the max. points to 5. This would solve the outcome-problem, but it would limit the flexibility too.
02 we could set the maximum of points to be given to
number of submissions x 2 and keep the max. points per entry 10 points. Then the traditional top 10 would be possible too.

Any thoughts?
I'd prefer 01 - that seems simple and efficient.
daRem - PinkLime Studios

darem wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
Hovmod wrote:oh, what's the point..? :shrug:
the point is: can we improve the voting-system?

01 we could set the max. points to 5. This would solve the outcome-problem, but it would limit the flexibility too.
number of submissions x 2 and keep the max. points per entry 10 points. Then the traditional top 10 would be possible too.

Any thoughts?
I'd prefer 01 - that seems simple and efficient.
dankschoen und scheena Gruass! :)

da Bazi :wink:

a funky thanks to Zeoy, 12muchos and Urs for da votes (melT and/or Lagunaconmello)!

and a :clap: :tu: to Markleford for having voted!

m :D

mellotronaut wrote:

Any thoughts?
My 2 cents: leave it as is. No changes except maybe for one small thing:
-if a song gets voted it has to be at least 1 point with a max of 10. The possibility to vote for a song at "zero points" is ridiculous. If you have no points to offer a song, don't vote for it.
rockstar_not wrote: The fact exists that 'best' is different for different people. Can't get around that. Hopefully, most people try to improve their 'best' over time.
Right. What I mean is, for those who desire to win, sometimes i wonder why they submit at all in the midst of challenging submissions. It comes across no effort was put into their submission. Those who join the contest for fun or what have you, that's a different story.
I was quite disappointed you didn't submit something this month.
I was in no mood to funk w/o a wah pedal and some horns. I do enough funk-ish stuff w/o em.

S.HUSH wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:

Any thoughts?
My 2 cents: leave it as is. No changes except maybe for one small thing:
-if a song gets voted it has to be at least 1 point with a max of 10. The possibility to vote for a song at "zero points" is ridiculous. If you have no points to offer a song, don't vote for it.
i agree completely. Votes should be from 1 to 10 points, no 0 points votes. If it is necessary to mention it in the rules, no probs.

m :)

i vote mello for new mod... :wink:

or maybe s.hush... :hihi:

mmichalski59 wrote:antoine.bertier - Has a funk feel, but there just isn't enough here for me. Just a groove, a nice groove, but not a complete thang for me to latch on. Would oove to hear what could be done with this with more time.
Psy-T wrote:Reviews :D

antoine.bertier - Julie had some funk
liked some of the melodies, and the vocal samples near the end, but despite feeling very funky, it also felt very sparse.

I know, I really struggled this month to find the funk, and after to keep it as I built up the song. Everything I tried seemed to finish in a dead end with no funk at all. This was my last try, a couple of hours before the deadline, so I did not have enough time to completely ruin the funk ;-), but neither to give it a lot of substance :-(

Nevertheless, thanks to you both for the fair review.

I don't remember if I already said it but I like the new voting system.
Thanx to all reviewers and voters too. I really appreciate it guys :wink:
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

Return to “Music Cafe”