some sort of electro glitch gypsy breakbeat

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

after getting two fines in the last week for a total of about 100 dollars, i am forced to postpone buying monitors for another month or so. also, having been working on this track since february or march, i could no longer stand hearing it and thought i'd try to finish it and put it here for people to offer some much needed feedback

this is all done on headphones, since the first beat, to the make-believe mixing, so i have no guarantees on sound quality.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/53091- ... -nomad.mp3
Last edited by iDumi on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow! I love this kind of feel with the Bedouin strings and the heavy drums, very cool track! The beats are great and you always do a good job with the details and those start/stop parts. I know next to nothing about dnb but is that like a very down tempo dnb beat? The bass has a dnb feel as well, no? Anyhow, I like the application as I'm more of a down tempo guy.

The mix is very drum-centric, which maybe you wanted, but personally I'd like to hear the strings get a little lift, both in level and perhaps eq as they tend to sound a little muffled to me. The only other thing I'd say is that the drums sound to be in a different space - not sure how you approached reverb for the piece, but that's the way it struck me.

What are you getting fined for btw, and what monitors are you looking at?
Image Image

hehe, thanks for you input. as i said, having done this on a pair of crappy speakers i am not even surprised it doesn't sound well. now to answer your questions.

this is a sort of breakbeat, which would be dnb's younger brother (still upbeat, broken-beat party music, just not as fast as dnb)

then, about reverb... i have a return track with live's native reverb fx, to which i send different tracks form the project. then i just used ozone and it's reverb section on the whole mix.

the fines i got were one for using public transportation without a ticket and the other one for drinking (beer)in public. crap.

and i'm looking at a pair of alesis m1 520 speakers which i won't be getting anytime soon, the way things are going.

wednesday bump.

cool track iDumi, love the strings...did you happen to have a small gyspy to hand?

Nice track iDumi. The mix sounds very nice on my ear buds. Loving all the little things going on, it really keeps the attention.

Thanks for sharing!
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

CypherOne wrote:did you happen to have a small gyspy to hand?
hehe, no. i just happen to sample bits (read steal) from a lot of obscure gypsy music.

Yes, the drums seem a little loud in the mix or maybe the 'gypsiness' isn't loud/stereo enough, imo. But an enjoyably erratic piece. Nice drum work and the squiggly rhythmic elements are choice.

Where can you get fined for drinking a beer out in public?

in romania. and to top it, it wasn't like i was drinking in town. we have this place, called "strand" that's a sort of big open place with lots of swimming pools and bars and clubs and nothing else, that's just over the river from the center of the town, on a sort of small island. it's not really in town but it's not really outside either.

there was me and some friends, saturday night around 1 am, going to have a spliff and we happened to take our beers along. cops saw us and they must've been extra zealous that night. damn!

thanks for your take on this jazzy. regarding the drums, i'll make a new, and proper mixdown when i do get my speakers. by then, i'll have hopefully made a sort of hook for this as well.

Liked the track very much. Your use of the gypsy samples was well done and I enjoyed the beats over the top. The mix worked for me, but probably because I took the samples as more of a "bed" element and not necessarily the main melodic focus.

Not a complaint, but one element I found missing was a bassline (or is it MY crappy computer speakers). Obviously this was on purpose. Did you think about experimenting with something there? It might end up being a strong melodic type element in the song, that could complement the violin sample.

C

it might your crappy speakers, as there is a rather booming bassline. but thanks for your feedback

Return to “Music Cafe”