going to re-create my old band's rock song, need advice

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Important Seizures Of Vienna - virgin marionette

This here song was recorded by my old band, and then I got sent the tracks and added the vocals with a ridiculous deadline (about to hop on a plane in 3 days, and needed to do all parts for 7 songs).

There's guitar, drums, me singing plus comb-filtered/Dopplered vocals and then the thing I'd like to replicate: the Casio CZ lead with dub delay on it at the beginning.

Anyone have any idea what I can use that's freeware to re-create that sound?

Bloody hell!! Beefheart meets The Residents!! .... Brilliant :) ...!

I'll have another listen and see if I can suggest something.

OK, pardon me for punting my own, but they are what I am most familiar with these days .... Click my sig below, find the vst synths folder, download 'Wingy Stingy' .... go to preset 4, soften the attack on the filter envelope, fart around with the eq, and if thats not close enough to take somewhere, then hey, no worries, you got a new synth for free that will come in handy for something some other time :)

Weird. Very weird - I was just literally stepping out of my friend's car and said, "I have the word tattiemannie stuck in my head. Is that a word?"

Now I hit refresh and remember... thanks, I appreaciate it :) I'll try it out. Weird with all the synths I have and all the presets I've made I don't have anything "plasticene" sounding like a CZ.

Raw, psychedelic and beguiling. Nice Hendrix vibe to me. No idea how to get that sound but thanks for putting this out! Probably my favourite band name ever!
Image Image

@tattiemannie - just so you know, your file sharing site doesn't seem to work with Opera.
polyslax wrote:Raw, psychedelic and beguiling. Nice Hendrix vibe to me. No idea how to get that sound but thanks for putting this out! Probably my favourite band name ever!
The band-naming session took 3 days of psychotic word combinations, as all three of us love words, and the litmus test is was the drummer, David, falling on the ground and laughing for about 25 minutes mumbling, "The implications..."

Oddly, he married his little sister's 6'3" Austrian au pair many years after the fact, changed his last name because the original meant "erection" in German, and moved to Austria with her.

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun for a hardware Casio CZ. Wish I'd known about this kind of craziness at the time:

http://www.kasploosh.com/11801/window/1 ... combo.html

[quote="kasploosh.com]Findings
From the front panel you can only choose the standard ring modulation or the standard noise modulation.
Using sysex, you can select TWO additional types of ring modulation, both of which are more severe.
Using sysex, you can select ONE additional type of noise modulation, which is milder.
Using sysex to change the mysterious fourth bit, you can mute Line 1 when using modulation, which is not otherwise possible.[/quote]

Fun stuff. The resulting images that the quote demonstrates shows nice pictures of things very much like I'm always attempting in SE and with 3rd party VSTs. I guess I should be more visual; I always do this sort of thing by ear.

I wonder if T-con ever finished CZYNTHIA VST?\

I'm already familiar with (and have used in songs) all the CZ-like free VSTs listed on Gersic:
http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php ... t&action=1

I tried your WingyStingy, tattiemannie, and quite like preset 4 (and will most likely use it) though it doesn't sound like phase distortion. Really it's the crappy plasticene filters I'm after in this particular instance.

Runagate wrote
@tattiemannie - just so you know, your file sharing site doesn't seem to work with Opera.
... Hmm ... cheers for that Runagate, I dont know what I can do about it though .. :(

I have the stuff on another hosting site ... dont want to hijack this running thread though by posting a link which is potentially just as useless to Opera users... could you do me a favour and PM me? I could give you a link and you could tell me whether you can access that ... if that works, then I can think about making it available somehow ... no pressure, but would be cool if you could help :)

Glad you like Wingy Stingy, and best of luck recreating your track .... be sure and give us a listen when you're done :)

Don't you have Benedict's Synth Studio Pack I? It has a CZ-1000 emulation if that would work.

Now the song's bloody mental and I love it. Definitely needs a re-do on the mix at least. I can't understand the lyrics...got a lyric sheet for this?

@tattiemannie: I just used IE instead, but I PMed you :)

You know you can make your sig link much smaller by embedding it in words you want it to appear as here?

emdot: Yeah, I've got all three SSPs. They don't sound like garbage coming through a cellophane speaker, though. All the PhaseMod synths I have sound superb... the problem is I had no idea wtf I was doing back then, so it's hard to replicate the synth, and the dub delay for that matter.

As to the song itself I'm re-doing it without the drums or guitar as they are now as I didn't write those parts. I have permission to use them as-is, but since I have neither drums nor a guitar it seems silly to do so. I like electric basses better, anyways ;) It was actually really well recorded, but unfortunately the only mixdown (off 1/4" 8-track) they sent me in the wilds of Alaska, or even ever got around to doing, was a 4-minute "set the levels and hit record" mix off all drum mics and guitar which sort of defeats the purpose of recording it well in the first place. And recording only one take. Lazy bastards. At least my "one take only" was due to extreme time constraints, and I'd never even sung it before. 1 Ghz PIII, too, so you can imagine how fun that was to knock out fast.

The lyrics are embedded in the song, and even synchronized. Doesn't your media player show lyrics? I just use WMP myself, as I don't own the bajillion albums most people seem to clutter up their hard drives with.

Let's see if I can remember them off the top of my head..

• virgin marionette

Gropin' around on the floorboards for you
    Talismanic paw of an ungulate-lagomorph hybrid
    A jackelope cuz you can't develope a felicitous coherence
    From the blue ox babe mythology of the silly Babbit Yanquis

Utilize a glow in the dark Freedom Tickler like an anglerfish
    Searchin' the floor mats for your hat of aluminium
    Headgear to shild your thoughts of simian hijinks from the Magdalene
    High above, suction cupped to your dashboard
    But she's got a trick or two

A virgin marionette in jalopies jeepers-creepin', queerly juxtaposed
    Lookin' over your shoulder for the roll-up of some five-o Gepetto
    Your wooden mien never to be granted freedom from ventriloquism
    I understand - I'd be pretty uptight with Jim Henson's fist up my ass, too

A mupper-paster, this puppet master in the back of your mind
    A dapper pall on the paper dolls with X-ed out eyes
    Hangman's gibbet in the hanging gardens of ganging hard-ons
    This Punch n Judy show whose ancient wonder grows
    With every retelling of their lies

LOL. I'd forgotten how many Spoonerisms are in the last stanza.

runagate wrote:...The lyrics are embedded in the song, and even synchronized. Doesn't your media player show lyrics?
No, for some reason IE here at work opens all direct link mp3s in a new window and plays them with QuickTime (which I hate). So no info at all. If I had downloaded it and played it in WMP I would have noticed.

:lol: Good stuff. I used to work in a collaboration (The Spot Reducers) that did such nonsense.

Can't help you recreate the sounds you desire, but I'm glad you're doing something with this runny. As i've told you before, this is a cool tune. :clap: :)

Indeed, you were the on that kept it in the back of my mind.
An instance of you inspiring a man above the waist!

Ok, now stop bumping this. I've got work to do.

Return to “Music Cafe”