Preferred mp3 format for d/load album

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Y'all

I'm about to put up my latest album as a paid download and wondering what is the preferred for format.

I am assuming mp3 for compatiability so the debate is over bitrate

128 - small but harsh
192 - better
256 - just a like a bought one only a bit large

Whole album at 256 weighs in a 104 MB is this ok?

Thanks
Last edited by Benedict on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benedict wrote:Hi Y'all

I'm about to put up my latest album as a paid download and wondering what is the preferred for format.

I am assuming mp3 for compatiability so the debate is over bitrate

128 - small but harsh
192 - better
256 - just a like a bought one only a bit large

Whole album at 256 weighs in a 104 MB is this ok?

Thanks
If you are selling it, I would recommend 320kbps or make it very, very cheap. Anything below 192 is for demo tracks and myspace, imo. But I might be spoiled in my opinion.

Thanks Mr Spoon

What would you define as very cheap? Matter of fact what does an unsigned digital album sell for these days?

:)

Benedict wrote:Thanks Mr Spoon

What would you define as very cheap? Matter of fact what does an unsigned digital album sell for these days?

Selling music is a category where I have limited experience, but there are folks on here that can answer that more fairly. I like the 7-8 dollar range for a full length album at most, but thats me.

I prefer FLAC, I wouldn't pay for a lossy format.
320 mp3 for $5 might sell, anything below 192 had better be free.

people like options.
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

FLAC looks interesting but like Ogg it is not so well supported yet (if ever) plus the files are noticably larger - about 4 times so that has to be unattractive to the average consumer.

I was thinking: 256k album for $5 as my reding seems to suggest that at that rate there in no appreciable difference to the wave.

If you're worried about size just go with MP3 VBR V0. Should be better quality than 256k cbr and not take up as much space.

Return to “Music Cafe”