"Joker", Gotham Menace (Orchestral)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kaiyoti wrote:I like to think that the use of synth over sample is to prove that samples doesn't mean everything...

I was once picked on at the NorthernSounds forum because I simply said the library for the Ableton 7 Orchestra sound was pretty good where everyone agreed it was terrible. To support my statement, I said that people simply need to listen past the lousy demo tracks with poor midi orchestration that Ableton gave and listen down to the samples. Then somehow that statement was translated into me intentionally insulting their midi skills. They claimed that I was ignorant to realize that most people on that forum are professionals who already use superior products like EWQL and VSL. Yah... superior in price for all I care. That's when I started going heavy on making my custom sounds... especially with free soft synth.

These days, people seem to be blinded by these dominating commercial samples and not realize that computer music can be more fun and creative than just pre-made samples... My two cents.
You're a master of your craft.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Most of the time, these are people who have lots of chops, but very little talent and imagination. They're just sheep. Use anything you want to get the job done, no matter how unpopular it may be with the "Elite". I'm tired of trolls who define composers by the libraries they use. Most of the time, they wouldn't even feel bold enough to change the ADSR on a string patch to make it their own.

Whether you use VSL, EW, GPO, an old E-Mu library, or synthesized instruments, it's the results that matter.

Guys like Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard are all about blending sounds from various sources. That's why the Dark Knight score is so good.

Keep up the good work!

Wow those instruments do sound incredible. I do use EastWest stuff (not dogmatic about it though) but there's no f**king way I could make samples like yours. :shock: More power to ya man.

dkristian, you're everywhere :lol: thanks for that feedback. I guess that would make me too. :P

and thanks for the comment Arglebargle
Last edited by kaiyoti on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiyoti wrote:Thanks everyone.
Lotuzia wrote::tu:

I'd say SD2 for the drums and East West for orchestra

Great :)

LtZ
Don't be too sure... I don't ever use East West Quantum Leap material. Not a fan.

I'm a heavy Virtual Analog synth user and one of my common usage is to fake orchestral sounds. The strings are a blend of Peter Siedlaczek and synthesizer. Brass are virtual analog patches I built layered on top of Roland. Percussion are my own synths and custom recorded sounds. I'm not too big on using commercial samples.
bravo. :clap:
Sorry for assuming it was a rompler or something like it, so many people around here are using those when composing this kind of music. Not that there is anything wrong with those, but after re-listening to it and now knowing it was a home grown soundset on a VA -I am totally impressed by your sound design. Great work.

Nothing to worry about Jazzyspoon, it's pretty common for everyone to make these assumptions. Just that the idea of people being able to breakdown my sounds and recognize what libraries I'm using isn't an appealing thought for me.

Agreed: AWESOME!

w00t, OMFG and WTF !!!

... and o.O

Ok, please tell us, that you're doing a big fat joke with us ... otherwise I have to feel really nooby now.

Those are no samples for the brass? Those are SYNTH-SOUNDS ?!?
Only that I get it right: Synth-Sounds from common VA-Synths?

Can you maybe tell us which synths you've used and maybe reveal, who you are (means: a professional sound-designer I guess .. or something like that)?

kaiyoti wrote:I was once picked on at the NorthernSounds forum because I simply said the library for the Ableton 7 Orchestra sound was pretty good where everyone agreed it was terrible. To support my statement, I said that people simply need to listen past the lousy demo tracks with poor midi orchestration that Ableton gave and listen down to the samples. Then somehow that statement was translated into me intentionally insulting their midi skills. They claimed that I was ignorant to realize that most people on that forum are professionals who already use superior products like EWQL and VSL.
Yeah, it's somehow funny, but I noticed some of those pro-guys are just like big stupid kids searching for virtual fights on the internet.

Nokenoku, no jokes here, don't get too excited. :lol:

The joker track contains only french horns and trombones for brass section. The french horns are blended with samples because while synth can make some wicked ripping sounds, it's still pretty hard to achieve that warm french horn timbre. But I believe it's possible, I just haven't gotten the right feel yet. The trombones are entirely synthed.

The infinity fantasia track is complete brass synthesis.

Most of the brass synthesis came from synth1 patches I created over the past few months. I had a topic few weeks ago here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ght=synth1
Which has a demo I created with earlier versions of the brass patches. I'm also building other instruments, particularly growing my drum sounds.

Another earlier example of complete synthesis for ALL the instruments, this one is a little more generic, nothing too special about the sounds.
http://www.kaiyoti.com/music/synthesis/ ... hestra.mp3

Reveal myself? Well in that case... I'm the Batman, take me into custody.

kaiyoti wrote: While we're talking about synth sounds, I guess I'll also share my other track that emphasizes more on the brass emulation:
http://www.kaiyoti.com/infinity/Infinit ... ntasia.mp3

That one doesn't have any brass samples at all, just synth.

:o :o

Holy crap, this rocks! All synthesis you say? :love: :o Bravo!

TristezaOrange wrote:
kaiyoti wrote: While we're talking about synth sounds, I guess I'll also share my other track that emphasizes more on the brass emulation:
http://www.kaiyoti.com/infinity/Infinit ... ntasia.mp3

That one doesn't have any brass samples at all, just synth.

:o :o

Holy crap, this rocks! All synthesis you say? :love: :o Bravo!
Thanks, all synthesis just for the brass to avoid any confusion.

Pretty much shows how all that matters is HOW you use certain things, not so much WHICH things they are (given a certain basic quality, that is).

Having said that, I'm impressed. Very impressed.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Return to “Music Cafe”