Outbreak/Break-in/Inside

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really don't remember the first time I heard Le Sacre. Chances are pretty high that I'd heard things written in the avant-garde milieu quite more recent than that. For instance, Soundtrack to 200 Motels was my most listened-to album in 1971 (I was 15).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGe7zSJ23zA
Ruth Underwood on orchestral drum kit.
"What the f**k was THAT?!?!"

I had my father's records, including the self-consciously 'progressive jazz' Stan Kenton put out on his imprint which only fanatics knew about. City of Glass, the Bob Graettinger-penned record for instance. There was this one record I fetished, Inside Sauter-Finegan by the Sauter-Finegan Orchestra. Who had some major hits, an arranger-driven band that really went for novelty in arrangements. Avant-garde Pop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEU4jh3_GfY

I doubt I heard any 'classical' record before I was 18.

folderol wrote:I guess I'm just getting old^H^H^H middle-aged :lol:
Enjoy it while you can!
For me to be middle-aged technically I'd have to live to be like 124. :D

You kids get off my damn lawn!

experimental.crow wrote:found myself strangely unmoved by the indian/persian motifs ...
the bass and percussion interplay is to die for ...
excellent dynamics w/ tension/release/tension ...
Ok, then.

Thanks!

jancivil wrote:I really don't remember the first time I heard Le Sacre. Chances are pretty high that I'd heard things written in the avant-garde milieu quite more recent than that. For instance, Soundtrack to 200 Motels was my most listened-to album in 1971 (I was 15).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGe7zSJ23zA
Ruth Underwood on orchestral drum kit.
"What the f**k was THAT?!?!"

I had my father's records, including the self-consciously 'progressive jazz' Stan Kenton put out on his imprint which only fanatics knew about. City of Glass, the Bob Graettinger-penned record for instance. There was this one record I fetished, Inside Sauter-Finegan by the Sauter-Finegan Orchestra. Who had some major hits, an arranger-driven band that really went for novelty in arrangements. Avant-garde Pop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEU4jh3_GfY

I doubt I heard any 'classical' record before I was 18.

First Le Sacre...I remember it so well because my music teacher dragged 5 of us down to London to see the ballet live! I was 15 and whinged all the way down on the train...I was soooo wrong!:0) Found out my dad had it on vinyl when I asked about it back at home!

NOTE: That makes it 40 years ago! Not 35!

I'm the other way around: brought up on loads of jazz and bits of classical...didn't really listen to rock / pop / anything of that ilk until I bought 'Bat Out of Hell' at Uni (aged 18)...blew my mind at the time!

I didn't listen to pop, radio pop, at all except in the car in the early 70s. By the time I had my own car I had a boom box I set in the back. We would smoke pot and listen to orchestra music. 20th c. music exclusively actually.

A kid in the naborhood had "I Saw Her Standing Here" which I would practice drums to when I was 11, but I wasn't a fan of it. Nor hated it, but it was rock drums with a LOT of cymbal. I didn't really get the appeal of most of what was popular although Land of 1000 Dances, Cannibal and the Headhunters (that's right!) was kind of mysterious to me. I think AM radio there must have been kind of white-washed there at that time.

A girl I become close to from literally the wrong side of the tracks had Mothermania, the early MOI compilation. This was 1970, summer of 1970. That and Spirit Fresh Garbage, which she loved. I took and kept Mothermania. I never got whatever records I loaned her back. I remember calling her mother trying to but she was weird with 'You have to realize she's married now'. (She was 14, the 'age of consent' in North Carolina then.)

Actually I remember being taken to see the (concert version of) Nutcracker Suite performed by the local symphony early in primary school. Age 6 or 7. And being dragged back to my seat as I started moving towards the stage (for not the first time in my life). Daht dadada daht daht DAT da DAAAAH. Worked for me and subsequently when it came on the radio I would turn it up.

I remember I was listening to Holst The Planets in the living room on the console in there and daddy came over and his comment was 'that's some nice strings, there' which was a funny perspective to me at 19 or 20 after I had decided to become a classical musician.

Outbreak/Break-in/Inside is a mind blowing musical adventure. :o :tu:

Wow, thanks!

Return to “Music Cafe”