Virtual Vintage Dreams

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all!

I thought I'd share my new project with you guys here. It's called Virtual Vintage Dreams and will feature the most sought after synths as VST emulations as far as they can reproduce the warm analog sound from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's inspired by retrosound72 (YouTube user). Just see his channel, it's awesome! My project is like for comparisons between real synths and VST emulation softsynths.

Here are my two videos, I will keep this thread updated if you guys are interested.

The melodies I composed are not to be meant as professional compositions, they should just demonstrate the capabilities of the synths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEi9Rd-cff4

Here my very first combination for the launch of VVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3lDUcPRBG8

Please leave your feedback. Thanks a lot. :)

More info can be found on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Virtual- ... 7137043925

Right now one fan only... :(
My newest project: Synthiox

Yamaha MM6, Novation Ultranova, Behringer FCB1010

No comments? :(

My second combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawuRMAoiqc

Gotta be honest with you Matt and say I'm not sure based on these posts what exactly you're up to. I think you're coding VST plugins emulating classic synths, but it's not super clear.

Again, just trying to be honest with you... these demos do not help make your point. I know you state that they aren't professional compositions, but I think you really should consider hiring a composer to do proper demos... I'm sure this will help put your work in the best light possible.

Hope this helps! :)

p.s. This should probably not be posted in the Music Cafe.
Image Image

polyslax wrote:I think you're coding VST plugins emulating classic synths, but it's not super clear.
I'm just using the VSTs already available I'm not doing any myself.
polyslax wrote:Again, just trying to be honest with you... these demos do not help make your point. I know you state that they aren't professional compositions, but I think you really should consider hiring a composer to do proper demos... I'm sure this will help put your work in the best light possible.
Thanks for the critics, this really helps me. :) I know these aren't real compositions but it's the best I can do at the moment. I'm practising myself with that so these might not sound well. But as I said, these are only demos for the VST sounds which they're capable of. Take a look at the YouTube user retrosound72. Does he compose good music in your opinion? He demonstrates his vintage synths by combining 2 or 3 of them (maybe with a drum machine) and composes a little melody. That's what my idea was. To do the same but with virtual instruments. :)

Call me crazy but i still does not understand what do you mean but if i understood it correctly you want to make that people think how retrosound72 work is possible with your VST instrument collection or what?

I am not trying to be a di** or something but i think you lack skills in music and sound programming. Something which retrosound have.

These two missing points are enough alone to make you not valid person to do this. Add to that that retrosound is using sought after legendary cult machines (some of them) and you are using Arturia emulations which are known to be good but certainly not quite there.

IMHO your intention could mislead people in various ways(i stil ldoes not understand it). Overall i think your idea is kind and good but you should make it more clear and less pretentious.

But then if you make it more clear you'll show up like the rest of us 100 0000 000 people which make music with virtual synths and and call it what it is..Music..

kmonkey wrote:Call me crazy but i still does not understand what do you mean but if i understood it correctly you want to make that people think how retrosound72 work is possible with your VST instrument collection or what?
Well, actually not, I know, it's hard to understand. I don't know how I shall explain it to you. I just make music demos with vintage synth emulations only and not with plug-ins like Zebra or others.
kmonkey wrote:I am not trying to be a di** or something but i think you lack skills in music and sound programming. Something which retrosound have.
Don't worry, I gladly appreciate feedback. Yes, I know I have a lack in music knowledge but I'm getting better. I started playing on a keyboard 2 years ago, so I don't have much experience. I started programming sounds on my first VSTs later after I got my second hardware synth and that's about half a year ago maybe. So surely I don't have much experience in both cases.
kmonkey wrote:These two missing points are enough alone to make you not valid person to do this. Add to that that retrosound is using sought after legendary cult machines (some of them) and you are using Arturia emulations which are known to be good but certainly not quite there.
Yes, he uses these legendary machines which makes him automatically more special than me and surely everybody can use VSTs etc. I know people don't like the Arturia emulations, but they aren't marketing crap as everybody says. Many people like them, many people don't. So I'll need to see which statements convince me and which don't so I come up with a conclusion saying "yes, I'll buy it" or "no, better don't". And I also don't use Arturia's products only. I use GForce, SonicProjects, Korg, SuperWave and many others. Maybe Arturia's ones are not very accurate but they are still good enough to be used which also produce at least 50-60% of the real hardware sound. I never had an oppurtunity to at least try out a vintage synth, not talking about owning one, so I'm expecting the emulations to be good. I also don't use any extra features on Arturia's products, like their built in Delay, Chorus, Arpeggiator etc. because all of the real hardware synths didn't feature that (with some exceptions). Also, e.g. I don't turn on the polyphonic mode on the Minimoog V so that I get an emulation of a vintage synth without any extra features. But we better don't go off-topic here.
kmonkey wrote:IMHO your intention could mislead people in various ways(i stil ldoes not understand it). Overall i think your idea is kind and good but you should make it more clear and less pretentious.
That's what I'm still trying to do, I don't want to confuse people with my project. I didn't think it would be so difficult to understand what I'm aiming at with my project.
kmonkey wrote:But then if you make it more clear you'll show up like the rest of us 100 0000 000 people which make music with virtual synths and and call it what it is..Music..
Yeah, but everybody uses different plug-ins and has some different character in his music. So even if we are a million or more here, everybody has his own style of music. My point is that I heavily focus on vintage synth emulations because that's my only way to get the sound of the 70's, 80's and 90's and not the modern dance etc. sound which many people are into. I wasn't so lucky to own old instruments so I'm trying to get the most out of their virtual recreations.

So, hoping everyone understood the point of my project, here's my next combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfahT76vy-Y

The next one, featuring the Polymoog plugin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vs0CjkraPk

After long waiting time a new combo is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I6aibKgVvs

Hey matt, I think this is a really great idea. Unlike some of the other comments here, I think your compositions are top notch. They are very well done and really capture the spirit of the old gear. These are fantastic demos that show what vst emulations are really capable of. Very cool.

One criticism: Since you are demoing all of these great vst instruments, it would make sense to indicate in the videos exactly what vsts you are using. Simply saying "Minimoog (vst)" isn't very useful, since there are half-a-dozen minimoog vsts out there. You should probably say things like "Arturia Minimoog-V" and "Sonic Projects OPX pro" rather than just listing the hardware synths they copy. As it stands, the videos come across as hardware demos becasue you focus on the names of the hardware while ignoring the names of the vst instruments. I think fixing this would remove a lot of the confusion and ambiguity from the vidoes that people are complaining about. It would even be okay just to put that info in the text box below the video. Even better would be to provide links to the developers websites. I didn't even know that there was a vst Polymoog or vst Juno-106 available. I'm sure many others didn't either.

Nice stuff. Keep up the good work.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

Thank you for your positive comment, finally someone who appreciates my work. :) Okay, I think you're right, I'll add the names of the VSTs I'm using, that would prevent some confusion.

So after a long break I took from my project because of school exams etc. I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and may all your wishes come true! Here's my latest composition for everyone. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8eHmn8fEk

Happy New Year, everybody and enjoy my latest production! :D May all your wishes come true and all the best for 2012!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtJQaJTsK0

Just commenting on one I heard one Soundcloud-- Italo Disco is gorgeous. :D

Thank you. ;)

As I said on Facebook, not all of my combinations will be available on YouTube. They'll be on SoundCloud only. Here are the two little ones:

VVD - Korg DW-8000 + Roland TR-808 "Weekend Jam"

VVD - Roland D-70 + JP-8080 "Stop SOPA!"

And my newest combination is also here, featuring three Rolands! Enjoy! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDk_LUPanc

Return to “Music Cafe”