February Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy* but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness. This is obviously open to interpretation.
*Though this would be okay, too, my intention involves the sound more than the subject; if you can marry the two, all the better.

Please note: Time limit is back to three minutes this month.

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 (192kbps or lower if fixed rate ... average of 192kbps or lower if VBR) or .ogg format (quality level 6.00 or lower)

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - kovacs
2 - knockman
3 - scoops
4 - watto

In Addition...
Kara at www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (Central Time, US) Saturday, February 25th, 2012.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest.

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie "1202_artistname_tracktitle.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. I will be booting for improperly named comps (this will not be a DQ, just a little reminder that you didn't tag your comp correctly). Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - IF you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune(help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries).

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m. Thursday, March 1, 2012 - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to D.H. Miltz or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their
products this month (and later months until further notice).

Ugo at Ugo Audio has donated a copy of M-theory + Dualism bundle, Ironhead + Tunguska bundle, Metallurgy, or Disturbance, for this month (and later months until further notice).Thanks UGO

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with full license) of Photosounder for the September contest (and later months until further notice).

Dave Hoskins from QuikQuak has donated a copy of Fusion Field (full license) for December's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Dave Hoskins.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer a moderator.

As I said, somewhat hurried as I'm back to college this coming week... but, as I'm to blame for all the happiness that's about to come into the world, I felt some responsibility for at least trying to get a submission in.

It's a New World

Production details:
The drum track is me playing my AlternateMode TrapKAT to click, MIDI recording in Reaper, MIDI exported to MULAB, bpm upped a lot to 240 bpm (hey, three minutes!). More or less the same set up for ns_kit7/naturaldrums in both Reaper and MULAB (as best I could):
- Rock kit with a few tweaks
- Kjhaerhus Audio Compressor, -24db, 2:1, soft, 2.8msA/0.01sR, +8dB
- Kjhaerhus Audio Master Limiter, -6dB
- Kjhaerhus Audio Reverb, Small Hall with Mix down to 1.7:0.3
Track then mixed down, exported to Audacity, amp to -3dB peak, compressed ~-15dB knee at 3:1 on peaks, amped back to -3dB
Above used in place of MIDI in MULAB.
Then!
- MyRay72 mkII w/ phaser and tremolo just tweaked on, older sound
- Camel Crusher - Ultra Phat
- sends as below
- MuLab Giant Hall reverb
Sends:
(1) - Kjhaerhus Audio Auto-filter Mouth Harp
(1) - MuLab multiband Gater-Effects unit (I can't remember exactly what I tweaked..!)
(1) - MuLab Giant Hall reverb
- .. or
(2) - Camel Crusher - Dirty Rainbow
(2) - MuLab multiband Gater-Effects unit (different tweaks...)
(2) - MuLab Giant Hall reverb
And finally, as short snippet from this sample:
http://www.freesound.org/people/Robinho ... nds/58178/
And then back to Audacity for mastering, same process applied as for drum track above except knee at -10dB, plus top and tail trimming.

OK, I decided I'd have a go at 'happy' after all... :hihi:

Here's my submission:

Formation of a Diffuse Nebula

I used:

Ableton Live
FM8
Reaktor
Kontakt
Massive
Battery
Pro-53

All effects and processing from Ableton Live except for the reverb and harmonizer which is Reaktor.

Mastered in Audacity.

Written by me, played entirely by me and no loops or samples.

I started to do a happy country song called Happy Country Song but thought it was more of a challenge to try an instrumental. Beware - it gets into your head after listening 500 times!

Happiness

Alchemy, Sampletank, Sylenth, DR008, Serenity Free, UltraSwamp Free, MinimogueVA, Tracktion 3, Final Mix, Wavelab, midi drum pattern found on my computer called MK2 Demo?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

This was a the result of lucky few days when I came up with an upbeat groove to play guitar over.

Midi comped in FL Studio 10, audio recorded in Sonar X1 Expanded 64 bit.
Instruments: Zebra 2 64 bit, Albino 3 64 bit, Kontakt 3 64 bit, BFD 2 64 bit, Drumcore 3, Session Drummer. Effects: Cakewalk Prochannel, Ozone 5, Amplitube 3. Guitar: Ibanez Artist 80 (1988) through Mackie Onyx 1220. Mixed in Sonar X1 Expanded. Audio Rendered at 64 bit 88.2 KHz. Final Edit and Mp3 produced with Audition 3.

BossaHappy
Last edited by Beardedone on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10032304/1202_e ... onWine.mp3

evo2slo - Dandelion Wine

Instruments:
:D :D :D Used my new Camel Audio Alchemy for everything! :D :D :D
(except: Agile Telecaster guitar, tambourine, hand claps, vocals, and some loops de la creme kick, snare, cymbal, and hand clap samples)

Happy Valentines! :)

Freaky-tune Happiness

Introduction with various layers of my voice trying to sing the 1st verse of the popular Hymn "Joy to the World" while trying to tune in that same song on the radio.
All words are by English hymn writer Isaac Watts, based on Psalm 98 in the Bible
Link

Verse 1
Joy to the world! the Lord is come;
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare him room,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven, and heaven, and nature sing.

My composition follows

HW: Vantage bass, Charvel guitar, Fender Strato, Mega-Amp, Line6 PodX3, Rocktron Chameleon, george dennis wah pedal, Shure SM58, Behringer preamp, Alesis comprssor, Alesis Microverb
SW: DSK Elektrik Keyz, PI-Elektro Piano, MDA Piano, MinimogueVA, NI Battery, Glaceverb, TAL-Reverb, keFIR, LFX-1310, Kjaerhus Classic bundle, AradazMaximizer, CamelSpace, Crayon Filter

:roll: Not known for being musically 'happy'. I enjoy the minor chords too much ... anyway ... 8)

Strange … on the day that the theme was announced I was in a store where they were playing background music. As I was browsing they played a couple of old country songs from the Carter Family and I observed that everyone in the store had a change in attitude. There seemed to be an instant uplift. Amazed at how it cheered everyone I realised that this should be my style for this theme.

ThingThatMakesYouHappy

You ask me what it takes to make me happy
After all the years that I done done
Well, I can tell you what's just happened to my great surprise
I been given me my first grandson.

When life is slipping by
And it makes you want to cry
The thing that makes you happy
Is your kin.

The older that I get, and the wiser,
Has made me realise certain things
Those lonely people out there should try to understand
The happiness that family brings

When life is slipping by
Is your kin.

I used to be a guy who was a loner
Spending plenty of my youth on the skids
But thankfully I've learned some things just going through this life
Now I'm gonna have some fun with my grandkids

When life is slipping by
Is your kin.

Playing:
50's archtop acoustic guitar,
fretless acoustic bass,
Vintage VFM200 mandolin,
Johnson resonator guitar,
15 bar autoharp.

ReaFir, ReaEq, Classic Compressor, BackStageEQone, GlaceVerb, Overtone GEQ, Q796.
Reaper 4.15
(I'm hoping to have a littler video of this within a few days, just for fun)
:wink:
James
---------------------------------------------
New Updated music site at - http://www.fraserology.com/music/

It's difficult to make something sound happy, when having an unhappy mood...

but anyway, here's my entry (no time for something more elaborate, soundwise :roll:):

Happy Melodies

Happy Melodies - Download

Hope some of you folks like it.

Used:
- TruePianos
- Miroslav Philarmonik
- ZynAddSubFX (used also for its reverb, EQ, and delays on most instruments)
- Audacity

All recorded live inside EnergyXT 1.4
- changed instruments on the fly via midi
- used internal arp in eXT for left hand piano
- no midi editing
- no samples, loops or anything else used

Composed, arranged and performed by me.
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Here's mine, a Celtic-style offering...

Beltane Dance

Instruments:
Magix Beatbox2
Magix Vita Violin,Studio Electric Bass, Power Chords, Piccolo
Redtron400

Effects:
Magix built-in EQ
Melda MEqualizer, MAutopan
Camel CMFuzz
Kjaerhus Classic Chorus, Autofilter, Delay, Phaser
Nubi Spinner LE
QuikQuak Fusion Field :)

this track is far from perfection, but I won't have time to polish it before the deadline. So here we go!

Ode and die Freude

Instruments:
Drums - BFD2
Bass - Chris Hein's Upright-gut
Trumpet & horn - Wivvi Band
Rhode - Lounge Lizard
Vibes - Chromaphone
Organ - Organ3

FXs:
Mix Control Pro, Vahalla Room, Voxengo Voxformer, Tracks3 suite, CSR Room, Voxengo Soniformer

On Schiller's poem (Beethoven's Ninth version)

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt;
Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

(...)

Freude trinken alle Wesen
An den Brüsten der Natur;
Alle Guten, alle Bösen
Folgen ihrer Rosenspur.
Küsse gab sie uns und Reben,
Einen Freund, geprüft im Tod;
Wollust ward dem Wurm gegeben,
und der Cherub steht vor Gott.)

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
Durch des Himmels prächt'gen Plan,
Laufet, Brüder, eure Bahn,
Freudig, wie ein Held zum Siegen.

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuß der ganzen Welt!
Brüder, über'm Sternenzelt
Muß ein lieber Vater wohnen.
Ihr stürzt nieder, Millionen?
Ahnest du den Schöpfer, Welt?
Such' ihn über'm Sternenzelt!
Über Sternen muß er wohnen.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuß der ganzen Welt!

English translation

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods*
Daughter from Elysium,
We enter, drunk with fire,
Into your sanctuary, heavenly (daughter)!
Your magic reunites
What custom strictly divided.
All men become brothers,
Where your gentle wing rests.

(...)

Joy all creatures drink
At the breasts of nature;
All good, all bad
Follow her trail of roses.
Kisses she gave us, and wine,
A friend, proved in death;
Pleasure was given to the worm,
And the cherub stands before God.
Before God!

Glad, as His suns fly
Through the Heaven's glorious design,
Run, brothers, your path,
Joyful, as a hero to victory.

Be embraced, millions!
This kiss for the whole world!
Brothers, above the starry canopy
Must a loving Father dwell.
Do you bow down, millions?
Do you sense the Creator, world?
Seek Him beyond the starry canopy!
Beyond the stars must He dwell.

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
Be embraced, you millions!
This kiss for the whole world!

this was an interesting one for me. i'm not used to making "happy" music ... or music of ANY specific(ish) emotion for that matter. so i went through my personal catalog of homemade samples and out of the thousands ended up with eleven sounds that aroused some kind of pure happiness for me, sequenced/arranged them, and ended up with:

11 Happy Sounds

a) i used all manner of reaktor instruments to make these sounds.
b) the soprano is Bess Phillips and the vocal trio is F'loom.
c) the baby, goats, female singsong voice, and Agnus Dei are all public-domain sounds from pdsounds.

enjoy. :-)

Friday's Hashish

Fridays

strat processed
drums programming : uTonic & Geist
bass riff : Z3ta+
synths & pads : Operator
LIVE8 environment / efx / channel strip / mastering

peace

[Edited to fix link, make visible-DHM]
Last edited by Mister Natural on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I am Gorgorgathgorgorgor. My delightful little song is Happiness.

[EDIT: Link removed. With my regrets, Happiness has been disqualified for violation of KVR rules -DHM].

It's made of Ticky Clav, my Alembic bass, drums sampled from an old Stevie Wonder record (one-shots only, hoping that's kosher) and The Shepherd.

Effects were BaxterEQ, FerricTDS, LoudMax, DensitymkII, IZotope Vinyl, Audiocation Compressor, NastyDLA, and epicVerb.

All this epic stuff was assembled in Reaper, on a crusty old P4 XP machine.

Happy Honey Bee

Instruments

Epiphone Acoustic
Line 6 Variax Electric
Shure SM57 Mic

Plug-Ins

Kjaerhaus Classic Chorus & Reverb
EVM Grand Piano
mda DX10 synth
Final Mix

DAW

Reason 3
Tracktion2
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

Return to “Music Cafe”