Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

11362 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 am February Contest: Gossip

Have at it.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rachmiel
KVRAF

3704 posts since 29 Jan, 2005, from rochester, ny

Postby rachmiel; Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 am

> This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness.

a tricky* and cool theme. :-)

* could there be a musical sound/passage that expresses happiness without making anyone happy? can music itself be "happy" independent from its effect on listeners? if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it ... ;-)
gorgorgathgorgorgor
KVRist

392 posts since 19 Jan, 2011, from Texas

Postby gorgorgathgorgorgor; Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 am

I am looking forward to this, already composing something special for my first Cafe entry...
gorgorgathgorgorgor
KVRist

392 posts since 19 Jan, 2011, from Texas

Postby gorgorgathgorgorgor; Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:58 am

rachmiel wrote:> This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness.

* could there be a musical sound/passage that expresses happiness without making anyone happy? can music itself be "happy" independent from its effect on listeners? if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it ... ;-)

I intend to interpret this quite literally...
Mister Natural
KVRAF

2229 posts since 28 Oct, 2007, from michigan

Postby Mister Natural; Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 am

all I can think of right now is a certain Rolling Stone's song . . .

:=)
"the digital photo of that guitar just doesn't have the same warmth as an analog photo for me"
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks
folderol
KVRAF

4727 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!

Postby folderol; Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 am

Hmmm. Foot-tapper time I think.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
evo2slo
KVRian

610 posts since 17 May, 2011, from Philadelphia

Postby evo2slo; Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 am

Happiest song ever?

Here's my vote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

11362 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 am

rachmiel wrote:> This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness.

That'll be up to the voters (and/or: yes, but I can't prove it).

Also, here are two versions of a good, happy song (the album version and a live radio version):
http://youtu.be/mCk7gb7b2MA
http://youtu.be/EyBbTe7Kn7k
farlukar
KVRAF

5859 posts since 18 Apr, 2004

Postby farlukar; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am

I hate happiness.

rachmiel wrote:could there be a musical sound/passage that expresses happiness without making anyone happy? can music itself be "happy" independent from its effect on listeners? if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it ... ;-)
As pHz would have it, "thinly veiled free-for-all" :hihi:
Last edited by farlukar on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJBiener
KVRian

917 posts since 26 Nov, 2005

Postby JJBiener; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 am

The last contest wasn't much of a challenge for me since I have been through composing music for years. This one, however, may well be impossible for me. I am not noted for writing happy songs. I am going to have to think long and hard to come up with piece of music that represents happiness. That one is just not in my colorwheel.
rachmiel
KVRAF

3704 posts since 29 Jan, 2005, from rochester, ny

Postby rachmiel; Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm

JJBiener wrote:The last contest wasn't much of a challenge for me since I have been through composing music for years. This one, however, may well be impossible for me. I am not noted for writing happy songs. I am going to have to think long and hard to come up with piece of music that represents happiness. That one is just not in my colorwheel.

maybe you need to find a take on "happiness" that resonates with you? there can be silly, whimsical, witty, light, dark, black-as-night humor. surely there are just as many flavors of happiness, yes?
kryptonaut
KVRian

710 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Postby kryptonaut; Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:45 am

I can't find a reference to it online, but I remember a nice quote from the original Reginald Perrin series where gloomy Tom says, "I'm not a happiness person. I'm only happy when I'm sad." Always liked that one!
Beardedone
KVRAF

5231 posts since 12 Jun, 2002, from Montreal

Postby Beardedone; Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 am

kryptonaut wrote:I can't find a reference to it online, but I remember a nice quote from the original Reginald Perrin series where gloomy Tom says, "I'm not a happiness person. I'm only happy when I'm sad." Always liked that one!

Good one!
rp314
KVRAF

2094 posts since 24 Mar, 2006, from The city by the bay

Postby rp314; Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 pm

JJBiener wrote:The last contest wasn't much of a challenge for me since I have been through composing music for years. This one, however, may well be impossible for me. I am not noted for writing happy songs. I am going to have to think long and hard to come up with piece of music that represents happiness. That one is just not in my colorwheel.

Having participated in many conversations over the years regarding what music 'expresses', somewhere along the way I've concluded that some of us have trouble classifying our own stuff along such lines.

Having a sense of what constitutes the expression of happiness, say in liturgical music, or in the popular forms, is within reach, but setting out to do it in a creative effort is more difficult, especially if one does not consider one's skills to lie in the traditional forms.

That said, as others are suggesting, that might just be the interesting challenge here... :wink:
folderol
KVRAF

4727 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!

Postby folderol; Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm out this month :(

It occurred to me that I'll be leaving for a week's holiday a few hours before voting would start!

See you in March (from a competition point of view) :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe