February Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have at it.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer a moderator.

> This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness.

a tricky* and cool theme. :-)

* could there be a musical sound/passage that expresses happiness without making anyone happy? can music itself be "happy" independent from its effect on listeners? if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it ... ;-)

I am looking forward to this, already composing something special for my first Cafe entry...

rachmiel wrote:> This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness.

* could there be a musical sound/passage that expresses happiness without making anyone happy? can music itself be "happy" independent from its effect on listeners? if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it ... ;-)
I intend to interpret this quite literally...

all I can think of right now is a certain Rolling Stone's song . . .

:=)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Hmmm. Foot-tapper time I think.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Happiest song ever?

Here's my vote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

rachmiel wrote:> This month you are asked to submit an entry expressing happiness. Not necessarily a piece about what makes you (or anyone) happy but one that itself expresses (sounds like) happiness.

That'll be up to the voters (and/or: yes, but I can't prove it).

Also, here are two versions of a good, happy song (the album version and a live radio version):
http://youtu.be/mCk7gb7b2MA
http://youtu.be/EyBbTe7Kn7k
No longer a moderator.

I hate happiness.
rachmiel wrote:could there be a musical sound/passage that expresses happiness without making anyone happy? can music itself be "happy" independent from its effect on listeners? if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear it ... ;-)
As pHz would have it, "thinly veiled free-for-all" :hihi:
Last edited by farlukar on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The last contest wasn't much of a challenge for me since I have been through composing music for years. This one, however, may well be impossible for me. I am not noted for writing happy songs. I am going to have to think long and hard to come up with piece of music that represents happiness. That one is just not in my colorwheel.

JJBiener wrote:The last contest wasn't much of a challenge for me since I have been through composing music for years. This one, however, may well be impossible for me. I am not noted for writing happy songs. I am going to have to think long and hard to come up with piece of music that represents happiness. That one is just not in my colorwheel.
maybe you need to find a take on "happiness" that resonates with you? there can be silly, whimsical, witty, light, dark, black-as-night humor. surely there are just as many flavors of happiness, yes?

I can't find a reference to it online, but I remember a nice quote from the original Reginald Perrin series where gloomy Tom says, "I'm not a happiness person. I'm only happy when I'm sad." Always liked that one!

kryptonaut wrote:I can't find a reference to it online, but I remember a nice quote from the original Reginald Perrin series where gloomy Tom says, "I'm not a happiness person. I'm only happy when I'm sad." Always liked that one!
Good one!

JJBiener wrote:The last contest wasn't much of a challenge for me since I have been through composing music for years. This one, however, may well be impossible for me. I am not noted for writing happy songs. I am going to have to think long and hard to come up with piece of music that represents happiness. That one is just not in my colorwheel.
Having participated in many conversations over the years regarding what music 'expresses', somewhere along the way I've concluded that some of us have trouble classifying our own stuff along such lines.

Having a sense of what constitutes the expression of happiness, say in liturgical music, or in the popular forms, is within reach, but setting out to do it in a creative effort is more difficult, especially if one does not consider one's skills to lie in the traditional forms.

That said, as others are suggesting, that might just be the interesting challenge here... :wink:

I'm out this month :(

It occurred to me that I'll be leaving for a week's holiday a few hours before voting would start!

See you in March (from a competition point of view) :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”