February Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Happiness is in the brain of the perceiver." - Doktor Kristian Engel-Güdbrandsdalen

knockman wrote:I've made a track, but somehow between starting and finishing, it lost much of its happiness quotient.

The lyrics include the word 'happy' on multiple occasions and I was very happy while making it so perhaps I could still submit? - but I'm thinking it doesn't really conform to the prescribed theme.:?

Very difficult to write happy music - miserable, annoying, daft or bent I can do.
Oh, I see. I think I know your style in music, and I can understand the dark side of it, and it could sound "unhappy"
But I like all these different "colours" in the contest !
Go ahead.

Cheers

rachmiel wrote:"Happiness is in the brain of the perceiver." - Doktor Kristian Engel-Güdbrandsdalen
Well, of course, it depends on too many variable things...
:shrug:
it can't be objective

I did something for the contest theme, but it turns out it's too long: So Happy Ogg Vorbis

...featuring Bill Ray on drums...

What are the odds
Smile with the gods
This cosmic way
Is a comic play
The atomic way
Is a comic play
Happy, happy, happy
Is a state of mind

AND YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT

mine is up folks.
a bit of sadness and a bit of hope spells happy :-)

HUG

cool poetry, Rennie
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Laguna Rising wrote:
rachmiel wrote:"Happiness is in the brain of the perceiver." - Doktor Kristian Engel-Güdbrandsdalen
Well, of course, it depends on too many variable things...
:shrug:
it can't be objective
As with other characterizations of music, it's also "cultural", no? And maybe "happy music" is more cultural than the descriptions people tend to have of the other kinds.

However,in looking at established works the distinctions can be thought of as being certainly more than just personal ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKtRombx5DM

I think most listeners would agree that that's clearly not one of Gustav's somber works.

None of this makes the notion of composing "happy" music any easier, of course.

happy is, as happy does
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Okay, submission thread is locked and voting thread is up.

Next month's theme: Hypnotic.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Next month's theme: Hypnotic.
cool. you're coming up with fun/challenging themes. :-)

First, thanks to D.H. Miltz for going with the theme this month: the tunes have been almost without exception great to listen to.

Second, I'll take this opportunity to say thanks to Emerald Tablet for the HM... if I could drum that fast... (I can do 160 pretty well now; 240... ugh... :))

And now, one line comments. These are the gut reaction thoughts on listening to everything.

---

beanpole: good tune (could have been more original); length was perfect. A good try.

Beardedone: mmm, dusky warm summer evening somewhere, nice drink... yes. That's what I was after :) Could maybe have done with more "tune" and less "noodling" but the guitar tone is good, so it's allowed ;).

D.H. Miltz: Sounds fun with happiness going on but... does it express it or merely record it? Hm...

Doc Jon: Hm. (Sorry, no connection here.)

Emerald Tablet: a very nice piece of music but didn't quite do the "happiness" for me.

evo2slo: MASSIVE. The house is shaking. Great production, good tune and structure. I can see the idea of happiness here... could be stronger, though.

GMoneh: More authentic-sounding than Beardedone yet somehow lacking the deep warmth.

gorgorgathgorgorgor: a bit bouncy but somewhat slow, not keen on the instruments but the vocal is great (as are the lyrics). (Sometimes there's just a hook that gets you, okay? :))

jackoo: The theme is coherent though I'd have preferred something more complex, this feels a little sterile to me.

knockman: okay, "about" but not "embodying", really...

kryptonaut: MMmmmmm... yes, this is a good way to burn off the cold and get things fired up.

LagunaRising: Not keen on tune or instrumentation; didn't "get" happy.

Mister Natural: I waited patiently but it didn't take to the air. "W'uh?"

nikp2000: Oh, stylish opening... Not sure about the brass but the guitar arrangement is sublime. TOO SHORT!

offthewall: I really like this piece, nicely put together and really conveys happiness (subject not withstanding).

Patrick9: bouncy castle, fun and good music too. Good use of time.

Peterhud: more bouncy music; funny rather than happy, perhaps.

rachMiel: mmmmm, yes - a different perspective. Enjoyable.

robojam: serenity, could have been a bit shorter, maybe. I didn't really get "happiness" as such.

shrikant: this is the inner beat of a happy soul, hard at work - very nice. Ends a bit suddenly (but I'll not mark that down).

Wopelka: shame about the vocals (sorry). Shameful fade out! But some good stuff in there, too.

I was expecting the jolly cartoonish uptempo stuff
To me the one who really understands happy is more than frivolous stuff is
robojam. Im also expecting most contestents to judge my song unhappy but to me that realy speaks of partly boxed in minds :-) Not that thats in any way bad but its just an observation. I could be wrong :-)

after doing 3 overly happy things i ended throwing them in the bin
too much sensationalism and cliche and ended up doing a song with the feeling of slowly waking up on a day in spring. I could have easily done an even more melancholic thing. To me those can also feel really happy.

:wink:

rachmiel wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:Next month's theme: Hypnotic.
cool. you're coming up with fun/challenging themes. :-)
Credit for this one, if it goes well, goes to Laguna Rising; of course, blame, if it doesn't go well, should be mine.

Also: Thanks for the comments, pljones and Emerald Tablet.

edited to add a comma.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer a moderator.

pljones
shrikant: this is the inner beat of a happy soul, hard at work - very nice. Ends a bit suddenly (but I'll not mark that down).
Thanks for listening and reviewing. I was in a hurry to catch the deadline and did not notice the tail getting cut abruptly. I had planned to do it with a longer tail.It has cut sharply on rendering.

Noticed this only after submission.

Thanks.

Edit:
mrblitz000,pljones, Thanks for the votes :D

Emerald Tablet wrote:To me the one who really understands happy is more than frivolous stuff is robojam.
The "problem" (in the context of the compo) with this, for me (!! :)), was that I felt I could have been standing high on a hill overlooking the complete destruction of civilization, tears streaming down my face, and this would still have fit. So I had to question whether it really had happiness inside...

I'm with you on the bouncy castle stuff, though: that's not innately happy, either.

But I think voting this month is going to really bring out people differences as much as the composition side did.

Return to “Music Cafe”