piece_3

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello KVR listeners. My name is Kristian Engel-Güdbrandsdalen. I am a first-time poster here in the KVR Cafe. Thank you in advance for listening to my music.

piece_3 is the first 16 harmonics (all sine waves) of a fundamental frequency of 60 hz arranged so that harmonic 1 (60 hz) plays once (fade in, fade out) in a minute, harmonic 2 (120 hz) plays twice, harmonic 3 three times, etc. the harmonics stack up (1&2 in minute 1, +3&4 in minute 2, +5&6 in minute 3, etc.), then disappear (-1&2, -3&4, etc., till you're left with just 15&16 for minute 15).

Here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/k_e-g/piece_3

I just noticed that when you play piece_3 in the SoundCloud player undesired buzz-tone artifacts appear, probably from the conversion from my original 320 kbps mp3 format to the 128 kbps SoundCloud player format. These buzz artifacts significantly undermine the purity of the all-sine-wave original. For this reason I request that you please download the original (320 kbps mp3) from SoundCloud and listen to that instead.

Thank you,

Kristian

Interesting...cool....and weird. Now, may I ask the purpose?

nice! :-)

ntom, thank you for your comment.

The purpose? I am interested in making 'musical primitives' using only sine waves of different frequencies, phases, durations, amplitude envelopes, without any effects or mastering. Why? Because I believe there is a potential for great beauty in such primitives, music stripped down to its utter essence, sans frills, ornamentation, overt drama.
Last edited by k_e-g on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachmiel, thank you.

k_e-g wrote:ntom, thank you for your comment.

The purpose? I am interested in making 'musical primitives' using only sine waves of different frequencies, phases, durations, amplitude envelopes, without any effects or mastering. Why? Because I believe there is a potential for great beauty in such primitives, music stripped down to its utter essence, sans frills, ornamentation, overt drama.
Well I could understand that, but I wouldn't call this music either, but maybe that's just my opinion.
Now, the idea sounds nice, but maybe I am more accustomed to bells and whistles to grasp the idea of "naked" music.

ntom wrote:
k_e-g wrote:The purpose? I am interested in making 'musical primitives' using only sine waves of different frequencies, phases, durations, amplitude envelopes, without any effects or mastering. Why? Because I believe there is a potential for great beauty in such primitives, music stripped down to its utter essence, sans frills, ornamentation, overt drama.
Well I could understand that, but I wouldn't call this music either, but maybe that's just my opinion.
Of course everyone is fully entitled to their opinion.
Now, the idea sounds nice, but maybe I am more accustomed to bells and whistles to grasp the idea of "naked" music.
That is exactly what I am trying to get away from, the bells and whistles.

k_e-g wrote: That is exactly what I am trying to get away from, the bells and whistles.
No drums, no instruments, just a sine wave making noise?

ntom wrote:
k_e-g wrote: That is exactly what I am trying to get away from, the bells and whistles.
No drums, no instruments, just a sine wave making noise?
Essentially, yes: just sine waves, of different characteristics (pitch, volume, length, etc.) in different combinations. I want to see what can come of it.

You can hear another example here:

http://soundcloud.com/k_e-g/piece_1

I have just begun this exploration, so I am unclear where it will lead.

Sounds like a great expirament, but I don't see it really taking off to anything particularly exciting or interesting MUSICALLY, now, again, I can dork out about how interesting these frequencies do this or that, and blah blah, but again, I don't know how interesting it would be from a musical standpoint.

ntom wrote:Sounds like a great expirament, but I don't see it really taking off to anything particularly exciting or interesting MUSICALLY, now, again, I can dork out about how interesting these frequencies do this or that, and blah blah, but again, I don't know how interesting it would be from a musical standpoint.
I guess we will just have to wait and see. Like I said, I am right at the beginning of this exploration and have no real idea where it will take me.

Interesting sonically. I love sine waves and so much can be done with them. I am working on a piece right now that just uses sine waves so I can appreciate these experiments.

if you could break all of the times down to 12 seconds per 'pass' (3:00 total), it might be a great entry in this month's song contest.

it's definitely interesting in any event. it sounds like it would be a good fit in a sci-fi movie. it really gets interesting in minutes 5 or 6 or thereabouts.

Bobbotov wrote:Interesting sonically. I love sine waves and so much can be done with them. I am working on a piece right now that just uses sine waves so I can appreciate these experiments.
Indeed, I actually though it sounded rather interesting when the second harmonic came it.
Certainly could be used for a nice bassline in a song you want a thick, but gentle bass in.

Nice. 8)

BTW, what happened to 'piece_2'? :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”