April Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peterhud wrote:GMoneh - Footsteps on the Hallway --- Kinda fun; sort of postmodern Pink Panther; would've loved some more harmonic interest in there, it's all happening on one chord right now and sounds very triadic.
Thank you so much for the insightful feedback (and thanks to all other reviewers as well... I haven't been thanking individually, but know that your comments and criticisms are appreciated).

Yours is the second Pink Panther reference I got, after DocJon. I guess that the use of that raised 4th on the minor scale is so identified with that particular theme that it always brings it to mind.

After the comments on the tune, I did a little remix, to fix some of the issues pointed out.

Get to the point already (Critics Choice Remix)

I'd be grateful if people could have a listen and comment. This is all a learning curve...
Music for films that will never be made
sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com

inboxzero wrote:After the comments on the tune, I did a little remix, to fix some of the issues pointed out.

Get to the point already (Critics Choice Remix)

I'd be grateful if people could have a listen and comment. This is all a learning curve...
The silence in response to your request is deafening, so I will have a go.

When I look back at my comments on your original track, I noted that the original mix was something of a "wall of sound", but overall the mix wasn't a major concern for me.

The remix has certainly made each of the individual instruments more distinct, and the bass is more prominent and better balanced with the overall track. However, the guitar is now rather too prominent, and doesn't sit comfortably, either in terms of volume or "space" with the other instruments, in my opinion. I would suggest lowering the level of this by 2 or 3 dB, and add some reverb and/or delay. The drums have now lost some of the distinctive crushed/distorted feel that was in the first mix - which is a matter of taste - but I rather liked the original sounds.

At the end of the day, it is really a matter of taste, and what you are trying to achieve with the track. There are elements of both mixes that I like, and elements of each that I like that are missing in the other. This probably doesn't help you much, however..... :?
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Thanks for the comment slartibartfast. I may remix this again at some point, if I ever get the EP finished and throw it on as a bonus thing!
Music for films that will never be made
sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com

inboxzero wrote:Thanks for the comment slartibartfast. I may remix this again at some point, if I ever get the EP finished and throw it on as a bonus thing!
I will look forward to that. Cheers....
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Return to “Music Cafe”