"As Alien As" [Wrong Planet Jazz].

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noticable Varese influence.

was just notified the soundcloud link is defunct;
SO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGQDJQ ... nIpBcO-fxd
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Very enjoyable piece here, Jan. Lots to like, as usual. There are some tasty sound combos on here and I really like the mix. I noticed that you have used less reverb than usual on this piece. Nothing wrong with that. I was getting used to that sound via the "Stranger" series

..........Music from the other side of the fence 8)

Hi, thx. listen to this directly following Stranger n. Stranger n has a certain consistency, this inner resemblance; which #5 points outside of. The stage of Stranger is large... the convolutions give some pronounced reflections, fore and aft. Alien is, as makes a break. it's a contrast a little like the shock of SPACED following ex post facto. The instrumentation is quite a bit smaller so it's now chamber music.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
There is almost a non-sequitur in the miniature toy march with the glockenspiel and piccolo snare, but it has resemblance with earlier events. it's one of the first moves I made after I had the synths layer and in fact the dissonant contrapuntal stuff tends to owe to it rhythmically.

edited for reasons, to better convey
Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verrrrrrrrrry interesting indeed!

We would have categorized this as '20th century modern'? Or '12 tone'? ....aaaaa...um....would that be ...um...like....21sth century post modern!!!???8)

Well whatever it is it is awesomely delicious. It certainly is free...

Nice work

well a lot of it could be placed by the middle of the 20th century but the synths are impossible but for recently I think. the winds use extended techniques I find more in jazz out of 'ethnic' practice. The dissonance is free and follows no theory. and then it isn't so dissonant with the almost blues cadence before the expanding out that makes the ending. thx for the bump! xo

I like this a lot. It sounded great on headphones last night and even better on monitors this afternoon. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

I find it a bit out of character for you to be soliciting opinions on your work.

Since you asked, for me, it induces one feeling only, that of a dated perspective on "aliens." Like some bad made for TV special from the 70s. I'm fully expecting really bad video effects to start making me seasick any minute now.

Very little surprise in either the sounds or the composition and the production reminded me of Alannis Morisette's debut album. Did you send it out for mastering? The musicianship is certainly competent, I'll give it that.

Although your work does not, in general, appeal to me, I've liked other stuff that you've done more than I liked this.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

thanks for that, particularly as it's good to gauge how it is on speakers, variously.

ghettosynth wrote:I find it a bit out of character for you to be soliciting opinions on your work.
Starts with the personal attack, veiled

>what makes you think that I am? You require that, in order to have an excuse to post this dreck? I'm sharing it for the entertainment, and perhaps for the edification of people with a wider and deeper understanding of music than yourself. Where did you read, 'how's this guys, do you think this is good?' Yeah that *would* be out of character.
ghettosynth wrote: Since you asked, for me, it induces one feeling only, that of a dated perspective on "aliens." Like some bad made for TV special from the 70s. I'm fully expecting really bad video effects to start making me seasick any minute now.
I didn't ask. I shared a track. I have shared a number of tracks. If I am soliciting opinions, say 'does this bass appear muddy on your system', that is how I'll frame it.

I couldn't give a rat's ass what you "feel" about this. I'm pretty sure you don't have any experience with music in the vicinity of this, have a pedestrian outlook in general as evidenced in all of what you have said, eg., in music theory board and evidently you are following things on the most superficial, subjective level. The only music you must have experienced like this was on the TV or in movies, I reckon. The gist of this is 'Varese influence'. Which is a vocabulary I'm sure you have no point of entry to.

You as music critic is a larf on every level. Your point of reference as per production is some pop record? It doesn't really scan.

What this is, is you taking the opportunity to see if you can gain some affect with me; based in rancor since you've been unable to fare well in previous arguments. Don't go around with the delusion I can't read you, you're not that complicated I don't think, and the disguise you don here is very sheer. You pretend this is like an objective critique but it is subjective and the subject is known to both of us.

Probably most of what is posted in Music Cafe doesn't carry any appeal for me. It means I am disinterested. The outcome of that is I don't need to say anything. You're interested in saying some shit to me. Don't try and kid me with this other lingo, you know.

edit 2 for formatting
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote: a dated perspective on "aliens."
LMAO!!! As opposed to a modern perspective? On aliens. :shock:

The soundcloud and bandcamp presentation of this uses anachronistic or B movie images and then a comic book image.

GACK, what a REACH.

jancivil wrote:
You said it, not me. The music is as tired and dated as the concept.
The soundcloud and bandcamp presentation of this uses anachronistic or B movie images and then a comic book image.
So you were going for dated and uninteresting? I think that you succeeded; is that what you call art?
GACK how pretentious can you be. What a REACH.
Pot, meet kettle. You don't take criticism well at all. One thing that I'm sure of is that it's your work. Your composition comes across exactly as you do in these forums. I think that's probably true about most of us, and to some extent, I'm grateful to you for painting such a vivid caricature of the relationship.

this is again, not better than personal rancor and resentment.

I am in no way insecure as you want to portray me. I simply don't consider your opinion as anything approaching real 'criticism'. You're taking time out of your life to try and tear me down. Jesus. As I said, this is quite transparent to me. It's worth your time to go into detail to tell me more about how you dislike me? My comments stuck in your craw to this extent?

"dated and uninteresting? I think that you succeeded; is that what you call art". What does that say about some music? I would not expect you'd get one thing from this... what is novel to you? Your own presentation of your interest is EDM and some blues. We're interested in different things. You want to have me as having an arrogant presentation online, fine. But what are you after with this lingo? what is not interesting to you is a universal 'uninteresting'? Evidently people found it interesting. :shrug: The entire point of me doing this is I find it interesting. Your interest is of no moment to me.

You have said exactly nothing about the content, the object. You do not have the vocabulary to discuss this.

This exchange is just degraded, there is nothing intelligent about this discussion. But as you may have noticed, I'll push back. In the first place, I find nothing respectable so far about your views on music. You present nothing more than a reactive position in your contretemps. You manage to say really nothing.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Your composition comes across exactly as you do in these forums. I think that's probably true about most of us, and to some extent, I'm grateful to you for painting such a vivid caricature of the relationship.
If you were a more thoughtful person, you would be able to listen to a piece of music as an object. What you did is find the opportunity today to attack my work out of a personality issue (and out of not being able to hold your own so far). If you think you're presenting a good account of yourself with this activity, you could stand to step back a moment.

This is an ad hominem argument as if to criticize some music. Typical. Vacuous and obnoxious.
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
You said it, not me. The music is as tired and dated as the concept.
It's a goof! Your remark was as though to take seriously 'aliens'. My 'perspective' is entertainment-oriented. I'm not trying to be 'hip' with it. Who gives a shit. This is some organized sounds in a composition and some words I don't take too seriously to present it by.

What makes you an apt music critic? Say ten words of your own about the composer Edgard Varèse's vocabulary. The exercise was to be a jazz-oriented ensemble thinking about that.

A person with an opinion and a personal axe to grind, posturing to criticize something that didn't interest you to begin with, but for the person? This is rather small of you isn't it?

If I were a narcissist really, I would like that you are this focused on me. It's kind of gross though.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat May 06, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I like this. I've given it a few spins now, and I just like it. Strangely, for me, seeing Dr Manhattan over there sort of gives this piece a context. I guess the only thing I'd criticize is that when the drums come in around at 2:50, my brain tells me all that was before was just intro to some intergalactic jazz, but then the track ends, sort of an anticlimax. It's well balanced even on my humble (read: crap) stereos.

Now I probably have to go to the library and get that comic book and play your music in the background. Not familiar with your music but surely interested now.

How do you actually come up with music like this? Like how much of improvisation vs. polishing ideas over and over?

jancivil wrote:this is again, not better than personal rancor and resentment.

I am in no way insecure as you want to portray me. I simply don't consider your opinion as anything approaching real 'criticism'. You're taking time out of your life to try and tear me down. Jesus. As I said, this is quite transparent to me. It's worth your time to go into detail to tell me more about how you dislike me? My comments stuck in your craw to this extent?

"dated and uninteresting? I think that you succeeded; is that what you call art". What does that say about some music? I would not expect you'd get one thing from this... what is novel to you? Your own presentation of your interest is EDM and some blues. We're interested in different things. You want to have me as having an arrogant presentation online, fine. But what are you after with this lingo? what is not interesting to you is a universal 'uninteresting'? Evidently people found it interesting. :shrug: The entire point of me doing this is I find it interesting. Your interest is of no moment to me.

You have said exactly nothing about the content, the object. You do not have the vocabulary to discuss this.

This exchange is just degraded, there is nothing intelligent about this discussion. But as you may have noticed, I'll push back. In the first place, I find nothing respectable so far about your views on music. You present nothing more than a reactive position in our contretemps. You manage to say really nothing.
That's a lot of words about something that's of "no moment" to you.

You asked for opinions, I gave you one. There's no requirement in this forum to discuss work in any particular manner. If it doesn't matter to you how someone with an interest in "EDM and some blues" perceives your music, then so be it, just don't fool yourself into believing that I perceive all music that isn't "EDM and some blues" as "dated and uninteresting."

Return to “Music Cafe”