Yun (ElectroProg - Seismic Ironic Subtlety)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first thirty seconds or so reminded me of The Sisters of Mercy. Bits here and there later did too, synthsoundwise. Take those and all the bits that reminded me of nothing in particular, shake, and you've got--that is, I had--a quite enjoyable 7:26. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Right away I can imagine this tune as a background of a game. nicely done, mate..!!

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

D.H. Miltz wrote:The first thirty seconds or so reminded me of The Sisters of Mercy. Bits here and there later did too, synthsoundwise. Take those and all the bits that reminded me of nothing in particular, shake, and you've got--that is, I had--a quite enjoyable 7:26. Thanks.
Thanks very much for the comments and for listening, DHM. Glad you enjoyed this little cocktail :)

Nice stuff, you have a good sense to pulling the right colors
together! :) :tu:

Cheers

thedeadsoul wrote:Right away I can imagine this tune as a background of a game. nicely done, mate..!!

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul
Cheers, Adi. Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

Mahjong?

hollo wrote:Nice stuff, you have a good sense to pulling the right colors
together! :) :tu:

Cheers
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, hollo. Glad you liked it :)

this kind of reminds me of 'frontline assembly', without the vocal samples/snippets; and maybe with a tad 'less-involved' percussion overall.

whatever the case of that; cool!

(yeah, this thing rocks!)

mrblitz wrote:this kind of reminds me of 'frontline assembly', without the vocal samples/snippets; and maybe with a tad 'less-involved' percussion overall.

whatever the case of that; cool!

(yeah, this thing rocks!)
Thanks very much for the great comments and for listening, mrblitz. More like loungestyle FLA. An over-flattering comparison I think.

Glad you liked it :)

Cool tune in every way. I'm at a loss to find anything to remark on where you could have improved it. (as if I would know. :lol: )
It's spot on mate. Production perfect, great sounds,beats,balance pacing..on and on...
No evidence of the limiter monster in this. Really nice job. :D
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Nice bright piece to listen to on a wet day. Soothing with a little bit of edge. Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

annode wrote:Cool tune in every way. I'm at a loss to find anything to remark on where you could have improved it. (as if I would know. :lol: )
It's spot on mate. Production perfect, great sounds,beats,balance pacing..on and on...
No evidence of the limiter monster in this. Really nice job. :D
Thanks very much for listening and the great comments, annode. Glad you liked it :)

I did have a limiter on here :oops: but I mixed this one at -11dB on individual tracks, apart from a couple of "quieter" synth patches. I think it flashed me twice during the mastering, but appeared to be less than 1dB attenuation. I think I next need to focus on the instrument levels going into the mix, rather than the channel faders. Until now I have been setting these levels by ear. Maybe I need to become more scientific about this.

I did have a limiter on here but I mixed this one at -11dB on individual tracks, apart from a couple of "quieter" synth patches. I think it flashed me twice during the mastering, but appeared to be less than 1dB attenuation. I think I next need to focus on the instrument levels going into the mix, rather than the channel faders. Until now I have been setting these levels by ear. Maybe I need to become more scientific about this.
Yes I did read your list and saw the 'brickwall'limiter. Brickwalls are not designed for the application of crunching, more then the overs...so a 'limiter monster', brickwalls are not. That was a good choice, and I like I.K. plugs a lot.

The gain relationships between an instr and the proper function of some types of effect plugs can depend on the gain of the instrument. Compressors will not always function well if your input is not high enough, for example. A moderate balance is best when inputting mids into an EQ. That's a range easily over modulated. I think instr gains make a difference, but besides some plugs in-line with them,it depends on the types of sounds from the instr.

-11db on your tracks is only relative to your master level. Add 5 more tracks simultaneously running, will sum up your output level at your master buss and begin to crunch your dynamics down into your limiter. The more simultaneously sounding tracks running, the more chance that you'll need to correct for summing clutter.
Multiple tracks like those are more easily handled as groups into the groups compressor,etc.

You came a little close to some clutter near to the end where it get's pretty busy. But your settings didn't let it get away from you. You did a fine job with it all.
Getting a mix to sound how you want it, might be in direct conflict with levels.
Takes time to get a feel for that. Because many ppl want the render to be fairly loud, the product can get dynamically altered and lose much of it's life, not to mention listenability. After a good mixdown/render, proper mastering can bring it up to the loudness usual for the genre. (if need be)

Sorry for getting carried away there. :oops:
I'm just sharing thoughts, not trying to preach.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Allomerus wrote:Nice bright piece to listen to on a wet day. Soothing with a little bit of edge. Well done! :)
Thanks very much for the listen and the comments, Allomerus, Glad you liked it :)

We've been having more rain recently. I must have missed Summer :(

In regard to the rain. This year we have had plenty of rain in Melbourne and the dams are nearly full! Thank goodness. :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

annode wrote:
Yes I did read your list and saw the 'brickwall'limiter. Brickwalls are not designed for the application of crunching, more then the overs...so a 'limiter monster', brickwalls are not. That was a good choice, and I like I.K. plugs a lot.
I am leaning more and more towards using that limiter as a QC tool during my "mastering" sessions. Next I think I shall experiment with some small changes to the EQ and/or Compressor settings.
annode wrote:
The gain relationships between an instr and the proper function of some types of effect plugs can depend on the gain of the instrument. Compressors will not always function well if your input is not high enough, for example. A moderate balance is best when inputting mids into an EQ. That's a range easily over modulated. I think instr gains make a difference, but besides some plugs in-line with them,it depends on the types of sounds from the instr.
I have been doing this by ear so far, which seems to work fairly well as I isolate each track during the mix whilst applying EQ/panning/FX, so I get the chance to correct any obvious distortions, etc. I think I have only used compression on an individual instrument 3 or 4 times so far, and that was during the "early" days when I found it was a "quick fix" for getting a volume boost. I don't need to do that now I (almost) have the individual volume levels under control.
annode wrote:
-11db on your tracks is only relative to your master level. Add 5 more tracks simultaneously running, will sum up your output level at your master buss and begin to crunch your dynamics down into your limiter. The more simultaneously sounding tracks running, the more chance that you'll need to correct for summing clutter.
Multiple tracks like those are more easily handled as groups into the groups compressor,etc.
I hear ya. -11dB seems about right here, but some of my less dense pieces could probably stand as much as -8dB mean level
annode wrote:
You came a little close to some clutter near to the end where it get's pretty busy. But your settings didn't let it get away from you. You did a fine job with it all.
Getting a mix to sound how you want it, might be in direct conflict with levels.
Takes time to get a feel for that. Because many ppl want the render to be fairly loud, the product can get dynamically altered and lose much of it's life, not to mention listenability. After a good mixdown/render, proper mastering can bring it up to the loudness usual for the genre. (if need be)
I would prefer that the final track is loud, but I don't want to lose the dynamics, and I always try to avoid distortion (not always successful with that one, at least initially), so my masters tend to be quieter than the norm. I guess i'm a little old-fashioned :)
annode wrote:
Sorry for getting carried away there. :oops:
I'm just sharing thoughts, not trying to preach.
Thanks for the detailed response, annode. It was very helpful 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”