Songs from the Supermarket #1: Bee Gees

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first and probably last in a series.

I was in the supermarket the other day and this old Bee Gees song came on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR6KBXbH3EI

If you're not listening closely, it's easy to think it's pretty benign and harmless. You win! That's nice! But halfway down the cereal and biscuit aisle I started paying attention to the lyrics, and realised for the first time what a deeply screwed-up song it is. That's the wonder of pop; you can sell all sorts of sociopathic messages with a catchy tune.

Anyway, haven't had much opportunity for music this year, but I was looking for an excuse to test out a new second-hand mic, so here's a quick cover of this creepy, passive-aggressive stalker anthem. (I left out the obligatory 80s key change.)

You Win Again (Bee Gees cover)

Nice!))) :wink:

:clap:
"It dreamed itself along"

Like it!

Oh, and it's about time you put in an appearance again :P :lol:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Great arrangement, and a nice change of pace/style in the Cafe.

Good work :)

First time ever hearing that Bee Gees song. I wonder if it got any serious radio play in the US?

Nice and snarky remake however. I'd listen to yours over the Gibb bros anytime!

-Scott

Great to hear you Barnadine!

Yes, I listened before reading your post and was thinking the words were a wee bit scary underneath... socio-pop for sure.

Anyhow, lovely rendition, really enjoyed it.
Image Image

Better a Barnadine singing a creepy Bee Gees song than no Barnadine at all.

I enjoyed it. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Cheers for listening, all. 8)

seismic1: I've been away from the Cafe for a while, so I'm not sure what the house style is these days. Still ambient death polka?

Scott: I expect the Bee Gees get more airplay here because of the Aussie connection, but I only half-knew this one. I had to go home and google what I remembered of the lyrics to find out the title.

Barnadine wrote: I've been away from the Cafe for a while, so I'm not sure what the house style is these days. Still ambient death polka?
With a liberal smattering of Bluegrass Wubhop Metastep :wink:

I like that whistle in the intro! ;p

Nicely done. Good job re-arranging it Barnadine-style
:tu:

Cheers

Barnadine wrote: seismic1: I've been away from the Cafe for a while, so I'm not sure what the house style is these days. Still ambient death polka?
There's a house style?

:cry: :-o Why did nobody tell me? :x :cry:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I have Bee Gees under "unlistenable" tag, thanks for recovering this song, it's lovely.

Very nice Barnadine.
A warm, jolly version of a song about domestic issues.

Enjoyable choice of, and timing of, your instruments too.

Return to “Music Cafe”