December Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:(
Count me out too.
See y'all next year.

:wink:
James
---------------------------------------------
New Updated music site at - http://www.fraserology.com/music/

Nationalism is a plague. The horrible experiences of the last century do not seem to have changed the way we tend to see and treat our neighbours (close or faraway) when we succumb to it.
December doom & gloom is on obviously !!!.
Anyway I am sure there are many ways to write a non-nationalistic national anthem. Finding some time to do so might be a bit tricky though , I am a member of the unfortunate crowd like Mister Natural for whom this upcoming period is crammed with chores.
I am also part of the ill-advised " Mac only" users population: I have discovered ( and shortly became addicted to) electronic music through the apps of the Ipad I got for my birthday just over a year ago. I had to move from the Ipad Garageband app to the Mac one & then soon ended up with Logic. So my choice of DC12 software is rather limited for this month's contest.
I am thinking of splitting up my Mac's hard disk and installing Windows on the other half in order to download & use Reaper (sounds from what I read so far like the obvious economic/quality choice)and should be able to download PC only programs .Any piece of advice on the subject is very much welcome. Is it a good option? Any tips? Can you easily transfer projects from one DAW to the other? I have just realised I have got another hundred questions !!!!
Arghhh !!!!

better international anthem then national anthem ... anyway Hendrix, Gainsbourg and Carla Bley ('Spangled Banner Minor'; couldn't find it on UTube) did it right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcZKkZO7CTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKV5ju2ZPKI
"It dreamed itself along"

Yikes, did I break the contest?
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Yikes, did I break the contest?
no, you try to stretch our imagination

ClaRago wrote:Nationalism is a plague. The horrible experiences of the last century do not seem to have changed the way we tend to see and treat our neighbours (close or faraway) when we succumb to it.
December doom & gloom is on obviously !!!.
Anyway I am sure there are many ways to write a non-nationalistic national anthem. Finding some time to do so might be a bit tricky though , I am a member of the unfortunate crowd like Mister Natural for whom this upcoming period is crammed with chores.
I am also part of the ill-advised " Mac only" users population: I have discovered ( and shortly became addicted to) electronic music through the apps of the Ipad I got for my birthday just over a year ago. I had to move from the Ipad Garageband app to the Mac one & then soon ended up with Logic. So my choice of DC12 software is rather limited for this month's contest.
I am thinking of splitting up my Mac's hard disk and installing Windows on the other half in order to download & use Reaper (sounds from what I read so far like the obvious economic/quality choice)and should be able to download PC only programs .Any piece of advice on the subject is very much welcome. Is it a good option? Any tips? Can you easily transfer projects from one DAW to the other? I have just realised I have got another hundred questions !!!!
Arghhh !!!!
Hey, I'm on a mac too and installed bootcamp on a partition of my drive to run windows only soft-synths. Didn't work out so well for me. Couldn't get it to read my FireWire soundcard (apogee duet) so just used the built in audio for output but the latency was maddening. Wouldn't hear a note until like 2 seconds after I played it on my keyboard. Maybe I just need a USB soundcard so I can lower the buffer. I've decided it's not worth the hassle...
Transferring Cubase projects between mac and pc is super easy and I've never had any problems. I imagine Reaper transfers would also work fine.

For the developer challenge part of the contest this month there are seven mac releases to choose from (made voting for my top five pretty easy :wink: ) I especially like proximity (try it on a reverb bus), pteq-1a, and pitcheddelay. No need for a pc.

On the nationalism stuff, I'm a big fan of my local sports teams, but that's as far as it goes. One world one love!!! :)

mellotronaut wrote:Carla Bley ('Spangled Banner Minor'; couldn't find it on UTube)
Here's a snippet:
http://www.amazon.com/Spangled-Banner-M ... B000XVMEXC :love:

RuediRena wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:Carla Bley ('Spangled Banner Minor'; couldn't find it on UTube)
Here's a snippet:
http://www.amazon.com/Spangled-Banner-M ... B000XVMEXC :love:
thanks mate! short and sweet. :hihi: :wink: the whole thing is breathtaking (especially for the brasserie and the reedz).

@evo2slo
Thank you for sharing your experience although it leaves me dubious about what I should try and do if I want to lay my hands on some PC only software & use them on my Mac.

I am glad you are supporting your local sportsteam, I always have to rant about something on monday mornings .Some other mornings too.

Thanks to Mellotronaut for putting forward these two videos.I do not really need to watch them again having seen them so many times before but they are now playing in my head.

Famous examples, such as Hendrix' or Stockhausen's Hymnen may not help that much because they took known national anthems and did interesting things with them. The KVR contest calls for creating an imaginary national anthem based on some entry from the prior month and getting others to somehow buy into that. And as has already been pointed out, some people have little interest in writing patriotic lyrics, so...

Maybe it's time to channel Alfred Jarry and do an update on Pere Ubu which will no doubt call for some wonderful pompous anthem for his new nation.

This sounds like a project for someone like Barnadine.

If you really wanted to make it a bit less daunting, I guess you could loosen the main requirement since last month's entries were not really created with something like this in mind. Perhaps allow more tampering with the material. :shrug:

So if people have a problem with patriotic lyrics, have some fun - make it an entirely imagined land - take a leaf out of Johnathan Swift's book and parody the real thing, or just pick something ludicrous and make up an anthem for it.

It's not said an anthem has to have words. Basically, it's a free for all with few twists, that's cool for me. Now all I need is time to catch some breath.

robojam wrote:So if people have a problem with patriotic lyrics, have some fun - make it an entirely imagined land - take a leaf out of Johnathan Swift's book and parody the real thing, or just pick something ludicrous and make up an anthem for it.
You may watch and listen at how it is done properly:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd2nvs ... &start=266
:hihi:

Ah yes! :hihi:

Its good we didn't know this month's theme when we worked on last month's theme. We would have all come up with march rhythm's or militant military band type stuff. ;-)

Return to “Music Cafe”