Polyslax - Fat Lip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

polyslax wrote: Ok, gotcha, and I think that's how a lot of folks work. Inspiration on the front end creation. Perspiration on the back end details.
Exactly. It's a proven method to make sure you aren't going down a blind alley. It would be great if I didn't need inspiration and could just open my copy of TurboTax, hit a special function key, and it would print out a finished song in my style but so far I haven't found that function key. :)

However, your method is working very well for you, so you should stick with it.

I normally decide on a sound that I like, and then try to write a melody/chord/bass part that suits the sound. I find that the tricky part is adding the second sound/(melody/chord/bass) pair to what is already there.

Kinda reminds me of your song "monos"
And makes me want to come jam with you irl
Lovely

FrantzM wrote:However, your method is working very well for you, so you should stick with it.
I create parts obsessively once I hone in on a track, but I try not to get bogged down in the details of perfection. I always remember a friend of mine telling me many years ago about a hellish day in the studio with his engineer... something like 8 hours trying to get a cymbal crash to sound right. That would suck the creativity right out of me.
seismic1 wrote:I find that the tricky part is adding the second sound/(melody/chord/bass) pair to what is already there.
I use a combination of sounds that I rely on frequently and oddball choices. Piano, epiano, that hip hop picked bass from Trilogy... all stuff I use a lot. The lead sound in this track was my oddball choice, pairing a Virus with Silk's Duduk.
runagate wrote:Kinda reminds me of your song "monos"
And makes me want to come jam with you irl
Lovely
Damn, bro, that would be too awesome for words. 8)
Image Image

polyslax wrote:
I use a combination of sounds that I rely on frequently and oddball choices. Piano, epiano, that hip hop picked bass from Trilogy... all stuff I use a lot. The lead sound in this track was my oddball choice, pairing a Virus with Silk's Duduk.
Yeah. I have 2 or 3 "failsafe" patches that I fall back on from time to time, but I like to try new sounds whenever I can.

polyslax wrote: I create parts obsessively once I hone in on a track, but I try not to get bogged down in the details of perfection.
I think it was David Bowie who said, "Just because it isn't perfect, doesn't mean it's not done." Words to live by. (Whoever said it, said it before Google since that quote gets no hits.)

seismic1 wrote:I find that the tricky part is adding the second sound/(melody/chord/bass) pair to what is already there.
Tricky is an understatement. I'm on day 5 of programming sounds for my new track. I still have one last sound that I'm struggling with. Then I need to complete the vocals and mixing. I need to have the whole thing finished by Jan 1 because my vacation is over then and it's back to work on Jan 2. :-o

Really like the moodiness of this piece. I'm a keyboard player myself and this sounds a little like what I'm doing with a drummer friend of mine. Adding an ethereal melody over top would take it into the stratosphere.

Jim

Thanks very much Jim!
Image Image

Hey polyslax

great track, as always great mood, not ambient, just enough rhythm to keep you going
polyslax wrote:I jot titles down all the time on a list. When I don't have a title in mind, I look to my list and choose one that appeals to me at that moment
..and I thought I was the only weirdo doing that on his iPhone :)
polyslax wrote: I always work with audio btw, as opposed to midi, so I render parts out immediately or skip midi altogether and just go straight to audio.
That's an interesting and organic way of working, I tend to rely on copy/pasting parts to get a structure going, but sometimes get caged in it and might end up scrapping the track altogether.

Anyway love the track, man

Cheers Mario!

Haha, yeah, must get those thoughts down as you have them, and the iPhone's handy for that.

I like committing to audio as it removes a lot of options... and sometimes we need fewer options. :)
Image Image

Good stuff. Thanks, polyslax.
No longer a moderator.

polyslax wrote:
FrantzM wrote:
polyslax wrote: I thrive on inspiration, improvisation and happy accidents.
So do I. Especially when I am creating a song skeleton which can develop quickly, sometimes in a haphazard way.

Once I have a solid skeleton in place then I methodically work on finishing the details with much less left to chance. Right now the MIDI for my current piece is 99% finalized and I am finishing the sound design.
Ok, gotcha, and I think that's how a lot of folks work. Inspiration on the front end creation. Perspiration on the back end details.
Heh! So true - so true.

Oh, and I'm sure there was something else I was going to say...
Erm...
Got it! Nice sooooth track :D
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I like this again Polyslax, very mellow.
Your tracks have a real nice 'warm' sound to them.

Cheers guys, glad you enjoyed!
Image Image

Great intro, lovely bass, clear keys, crazy strange stringy thing and the drums are a cool choice as well.

Fantastic production as usual...man that bass! :love:

Return to “Music Cafe”