January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope to enter this month. I need some naughty Latin lyrics ... any suggestions? :D
Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

Latin as in '¡Ay, caramba!', or as in 'Romani ite domum' ? Not that I could help much with either...

Aziraphal wrote:I hope to enter this month. I need some naughty Latin lyrics ... any suggestions? :D
Cheers Matt
'Semper ubi sub ubi' could be a good refrain. :lol:

The Latin of the gladiators, lions and orgies context, of course. Ahh those were the days.
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

Check out the works of Roman poets Martial and Catullus - some of those were rather naughty. You can find the original Latin and various English translations on the internet, although not always on the same site.

Free for all... Too many options, hard to choose! :D

Btw, getting a new computer this month. Never been more excited about anything before! :D My old computer is really weak and total pain in the ass... Nerve racking to make music with that one, hopefully it gets better with the new one! :P

Aziraphal wrote:The Latin of the gladiators, lions and orgies context, of course. Ahh those were the days.
You might find some inspiration in the life of Nero: SVETONI TRANQVILII VITA NERONIS.
I am really looking forward to the end result .

@broodkillphill: you need to use the URL BBcode, otherwise the soundcloudlink won't display as a playable file. :wink:

check this
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 25#4835525

nahkaorava wrote:Btw, getting a new computer this month. Never been more excited about anything before! :D My old computer is really weak and total pain in the ass... Nerve racking to make music with that one, hopefully it gets better with the new one! :P

I was in the same boat this month!

I had just purchased a Mac Mini to use as a game development machine when I recalled that REAPER also comes in a Mac flavor - I set it up last night, and was surprised to find that I liked it. So I bought a couple of Linplug plugins, and transferred over a Waves license I had been planning to use on the dying laptop, and this contest piece just came rolling out. I am very pleased. :)

Also, Waves is doing a HUGE discount on their Renaissance bundle right now - $99 sale price vs. $350 MSRP. For somebody like me who has lived on free dynamics processors for almost as long as I've had this hobby, it's a big upgrade. RBass and RCompressor are new favorite plugins.

Land of Trees:
Not my cup of tea, but the contrast between sonorous strings and harsh digital noises is cool.

the promise:
Is that really 62 BPM? Sounds more like 92. When it gets going, I really like it. I didn't want it to be over. :(

Retrospective 2012:
More mathy than enjoyable for me. I fully expect that I will take time to figure out how you encoded those various things, though. :)

Edit: added some coloring

My entry is in on the submissions page: « Roundabout Waltz » . I guess it is about the cycle of years & the various cycles of life, the sort of thing you are supposed to think about at the beginning of January .
Also a reminder that you should have as much fun as you can as long as it goes round. Because one day, it will stop.
There is a thought ( in the title) for Dave Brubeck (a master for turning waltzes, and everything else- including zwiefachers*-, into jazz masterpieces) who left us about a month ago.

I have been working on 3 or 4 drafts for this entry ( I really wanted to play the guitar for once but ended up with some sort of rather awkward patchwork- I will hopefully use some bits in the future) & strangely I am ending up submitting what was originally my least favourite theme. That leaves me with a few threads I can follow up now, contest free.

* edited following Mellotronaut's remark below.
Last edited by ClaRago on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

very nice song, ClaRago!

it's not a Waltz though, but either a so called Zwiefacher, which alters fastly between 3/4 and 2/4. it is used mainly in Bavarian folk music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwiefacher
or simply a 5/4 rhythm.

cheers

mello :)
"It dreamed itself along"

Thanks spirulance

Its 62 but i never care too much about bpm :-)
62 is also 93 or 124 or 31 Bpm.
Its all just a matter of where you tap your feet. ;-)

mellotronaut wrote:very nice song, ClaRago!

it's not a Waltz though, but either a so called Zwiefacher, which alters fastly between 3/4 and 2/4. it is used mainly in Bavarian folk music.
or simply a 5/4 rhythm.

cheers

mello :)
Thank you Mellotronaut for the piece of info, I sort of realised it was not a proper waltz as it was going poum-poum-poum poum-poum .
So the song is now called "Roundabout Zwiefacher" , I just hope nobody is going to turn up now telling me it is not a roundabout either but a whirligig !!!

ClaRago wrote: I just hope nobody is going to turn up now telling me it is not a roundabout either but a whirligig !!!
it is a ...

... hebble hubble bibblgig

:hihi: :tu: :hug:
"It dreamed itself along"

spirulence wrote:Retrospective 2012:
More mathy than enjoyable for me. I fully expect that I will take time to figure out how you encoded those various things, though. :)
Thanks for the comment. I should probably have said 'referenced' rather than 'encoded', some of the mappings are less rigorous than others!

mellotronaut wrote:it's not a Waltz though, but either a so called Zwiefacher, which alters fastly between 3/4 and 2/4. it is used mainly in Bavarian folk music.
or simply a 5/4 rhythm.
Interesting to read about Zwiefacher rhythms, thanks for the link - must try that some time! But I can't hear ClaRago's entry as anything other than 3/4 time. Am I listening to it in the wrong way?

Return to “Music Cafe”