January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kryptonaut wrote:A question to bzur about your votes, which are numbered in the opposite order to everyone else's. Do your numbers represent points, or 'chart position' - i.e. was Aziraphal your favourite, or Zabrilla?
I'll PM bzur about this too and hope it gets seen before I add up points. Unless I'm told otherwise I'll assume the order is correct and treat the numbers as points, I guess.

I had the same question for Hellfog (answered already).

So: If you're going to number things that way, please write 10 points, 9 points, and so on.
No longer a moderator.

Thanks, Irion.
No longer a moderator.

kryptonaut wrote:Thanks for the reviews guys, they are much appreciated. I wanted to write some this month but unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll have time, with so many entries. The notes I took when auditioning for voting are not really good enough to publish! I'll try to be more organised next month.

A question to bzur about your votes, which are numbered in the opposite order to everyone else's. Do your numbers represent points, or 'chart position' - i.e. was Aziraphal your favourite, or Zabrilla?
The numbers represent points. I apologize for not writing my chart in a proper way :oops:

First off, congratulations to Arizaphal, and to everyone else for giving me some great music to listen to this month,

Here's the notes I made on each track during listening. I usually try to briefly remind myself what the track was, and note a couple of things I liked or didn't, so these aren't really "reviews". Where I criticise a track, it is just me nit-picking, in order to help me narrow down the choices somewhat. If I called your song "avant garde, weird or odd", please take that as a reflection of my unadventurous musical tastes, and my inability to recognise true genius ;)

Broodkillphill - Land of trees
Very avant garde, some beautiful cello samples in there

Emerald tablet - the promise
Nice basic chord progression, slow to get going and a bit odd over quantized sounding. Develops nicely later on, although some overpowering sound effects

Kryptonaut - Retrospective 2012
Sort of cheerful start, with a nice gentle but lively beat. A little bit meandering, especially when the e piano comes in, although some cool bits and pieces in there

Spirulence - Space Explorer
Made out of two linplug synths, nice gentle lead over some atmospheric pads. Not particularly adventurous development though.

ClaRago - Roundabout Waltz
Nice piano playing at the start and jazz drumming. Needs fresh ideas towards end

Soughtafter Sounds - Mystic Chaos
Orchestral. Really nice start. Short and sweet. Feels slightly rushed perhaps. Second section is really beautiful

Hellfog - Back and forth
Really nice nylon string guitar sounds and reverb. Piano section not quite as strong

Mister Natural - Your Moon is but a Sliver
Starts with nice piano, then jarring transition to guitar. Experimental, and more jarring sounds later.

Zabrilla - 1000 voices
Very slick trance intro, well produced, but waiting a long time for some kind of melody, progression to emerge. Gets a bit over busy

Folderol - the sparkling brook
Gentle piece, timing seems a little rough in places. Maybe a bit ponderous - arrangement needs to climax somewhere

Spirulence - The glass mountain
Lovely retro intro, nice synth & bass sounds, nice groove. Some nice laid back leads, just distorting. Lovely understated melody

Slartibartfast - HNY
After a slow start, some really nice sounds come in, and a decent synth bass. Vocal sample is a bit too synthetic

VicDiesel - Third Candle
Three recorders, slightly odd composition, loses interest a bit towards end. Nice idea though

Bzur - Morning Bells
Lovely piano playing with bells on. Bells perhaps a bit bright compared to piano

Laguna Rising - SteamWhat
Weird, random melodies. Sounds like a band randomly warming up

Beanpole - Bedroom Angst
Nice bright acoustic guitar sound, overmuch finger noise. Not a great singer, but the doubled vox is a nice effect

Klawire - One Way Out
Orchestral but not sure it needed the electric guitars. Nice when the choir joins in

D H Miltz - Drift
Dogs barking in intro, acoustic guitar with a strange ambience. Doesn't really go anywhere

Shangsean - PAIN
Strange noises, annoying static sound. Quite well put together though

Arizaphal - Triskaideaphobia
Very clever & amusing, lyrics are a little hard to hear. Great guitar solo

Irion Da Ronin - Back to Childhood
Usual quality from Irion Da Ronin, not sure about all the reverse sounds

Peppy197 - Quantum Entanglement
Avant garde and disjointed

Nikp2000 - stella road
Jazz/synth fusion. A little odd

Gmoneh - The Darkness before Dawn
Really lovely piano playing, with pads underneath. Timing a little iffy in places, fuses into a very nice piece as the drums join in

Forw - The Elvis Moon
Odd noises over a electronic drum loop

Mutt_davvg - J Creamy Dougie
Start off thinking that the sound choices are all wrong, but it kind of works. Needs more interest towards the end

Peterhud - January Funk
Nice sounds at the start. Feels a bit schizophrenic. Develops into a nice funk groove

Evo2slo - Closer to the Sun Part II
Good work with vocal panning and effects. Good song composition

Thanks for the review, Mark. I appreciate your honest comments.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Thanks, markheath.
No longer a moderator.

markheath wrote:Laguna Rising - SteamWhat
Weird, random melodies. Sounds like a band randomly warming up
That's it :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”