April Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Flash Forward/Future Sound

This month you are asked to submit an entry from fifty years in the future. You may (but are not required to) build a time machine or you may use your imagination to reproduce and/or invent the future sound of KVR.

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
Kara at www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

But wait! There's more! If you use SoundCloud to host your entry, you might find this tutorial by kryptonaut helpful. Bear in mind that SoundCloud's free accounts have a limit (per track) of 100 downloads.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Thursday, April 25th, 2013.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest.

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie "1206_artistname_tracktitle.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. I will be booting for improperly named comps (this will not be a DQ, just a little reminder that you didn't tag your comp correctly). Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune(help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries).

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Wednesday, May 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to D.H. Miltz or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their
products this month (and later months until further notice).

Ugo at Ugo Audio has donated a copy of M-theory + Dualism bundle, Ironhead + Tunguska bundle, Metallurgy, or Disturbance, for this month (and later months until further notice).Thanks UGO

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with noncommercial license) of Photosounder or a copy of SplineEQ for the October contest (and later months until further notice).

Dave Hoskins from QuikQuak has donated a copy of Fusion Field (full license) for December's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Dave Hoskins.

Kong Audio has donated a license for Ruan for April's contest. Thanks to Kong Audio.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
No longer a moderator.

evo2slo - 2063

Instruments: Acoustic Guitar, Oktava MK-012 mic pair, Vocal, SM7B mic

https://soundcloud.com/evo2slo/2063-1

Working on the basis that music tends to reflect the times, what state will we be in 50 years from now?

Well if we carry on the way we are, pretty dire I imagine. Much of the world could be an arid, sterile dust bowl, and the remainder subject to sudden violent storms. Maybe we'll be living mostly underground, and at the first sign of bad weather mothers will be shouting to their children. Come quick Earthwind!

Oops nearly forgot!
Stuff used (on debian Linux):
Rosegarden - sequencer
Yoshimi - soft synth (my own patches)
Timemachine - to record
Audacity - for final cleanup
Last edited by folderol on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

_

I'm afraid it doesn't look good

http://nikp2000.com/1304-nikp2000-what_ ... part_2.mp3

This is a companion piece for my One Synth Challenge entry for this month.

Made in Live8 with
Collision
Tassman4
Camelspace
Live8 EQ

Mastered and converted to mp3 in Tacktion3 with Tracks3

Nick

_

I think western civilisation is heading for a fall. And with a big enough bump our technological sophistication will go down too. So maybe in 50 years we'll be playing on home-made wooden instruments.

The Last Overtone

One Slovakian Koncovka
PSP multidelay
bit of compression, eq, reverb.

Victor.

Summer of Love 2065(the first kiss)

host: LIVE 8
guitars: Gurian, Strat>Adrenalinn
synths: Alchemy, Rapture, DuneCM, Operator, uTonic
wobble: Simpler
efx: LIVE native, CamelSpace
mastering: Ozone 5

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Aqua Haze

A noisy post-nuclear man-machine groove for mutant ears
[100 % computer generated sh*# from this century 60's]

Fusion Field, Camel space, USM, Crystal, Abyss, MinimogueVA, Dreamer, Dr-Fusion, TAL-Bitcrusher, TAL-Reverb, LFX-1310, Kjaerhus Classic bundle, Crayon Filter, Nuclear Cranium, Vocaloid Oliver.

I imagine that music won't be all that different, but it will increasingly move into the virtual realm. So here is my first ever rock track using only virtual instruments.

http://soundcloud.com/shangsean/vir-vir ... ental-rock

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/81wc4fnd3 ... _rock_.mp3

Created with:
Reaper
Evolution Electric Guitar
Kontakt factory library bass
The Pentodian Choir
Superior Drummer
A tiny bit of Evolve and Morphestra
B2 reverb
Alloy
And "mastered" with Ozone 5.

Akapolka
Akapolka, a genre using only human voice as source material, arose as a reaction to the Xtreme Noyz and Apokalypso movements of the early 60s. This is a seminal example from the Alkemikal Sistas.

Tracktion 4, Alchemy (Dream Voices library) x 6
Wavelab, Sheppi Spacial Enhancer, TRackS

April 2063, as many of you already know, will be the year of the "First Contact" between between Humans and the Vulcans

The Vulcans
will land in Bozeman, Montana on April 5, 2063 after Zefram Cochrane performed the first warp flight.
Following that occasion, a celebration melody will be written, in the traditional Vulcan style.

Vulcans follow logic and the strict rules of mathematics, and they compose this way.
This particular tune starts with a 3/4 "waltz tempo", then adds a 4/4 "straight" drums, followed by rythmic parts and melody played in a 5+7 pattern.

every 12th everything gets together again;-)

The song uses traditional drums made with metal and wood, and is played using the "Vulcan Lute" (or Vulcan Lyre), a 12-string instrument (here are detailed plans, if you fancy building one) ;-).

(see pic below)

Song Link:
Vulcan Waltz (Rock around the Spock)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Composed in Logic using:
-Chromaphone (drums)
-AudioThing Wood (percussion)
-Kontakt West Africa Library (a slightly modified Kora)
-Logic Reverb, Waves API EQ and Comp
-Ozone for final Mastering

In 2063 humans can no longer see the beauty in nature. The natural sound of birds is considered so heinous that they have been genetically modified to sound more like squeaky machinery.

Beautiful Mutant Birds

Used:
FL Studio

Sytrus
-Sirous soundset
-custom
Harmor
-Arksun soundset
-Bold Equation soundset
-custom

AKAI 5000 drums
_ _ _ _ _ _

~Cu Sith

2063- About 30% of the population is unemployed & kept under control through legalised recreational drugs & on line entertainment centers .
Crime rate is tumbling down but so is life expectancy.
All governements use experts in behaviorism and social manipulation to exert absolute power from the youngest age on a growing proportion of uneducated
citizens that can only get their daily share of "hope" ( the slang word for legal dope) if they strictly obey the state rules.
The only music they listen to is rapvertising and internet game soundtracks designed to induce perfectly controlled "pavlovian" reactions with the players.
A few hackers who have got hold of some ancient musical equipment produce tracks that they sometimes manage to inject into the official network.
They often use hijacked government propaganda or old recordings in their creations . Singing is not possible as the sophisticated voice recognition software of the e-police would immediately identify them.
Some say that even those are the products of ME ( Ministry of Entertainment).

Perspectives_of_radical_enlightment

Drums : Ultrabeat & Soniccouture tremors
Synths : Kontakt, Absynth & Sub Boom Bass
Guitar : PRS Soapbar & Logic amps/pedalboard
Samples : manipulated recording of an advertisement for Arizona university + some operatic voices from Musicradar and one from Trek Core.

Edit below
Forgot to mention the effects used:
ReverberateCM
TAL Filter
TAL Vocoder
Filther
MWaveShaper
Acquavox
KT Granulator
Last edited by ClaRago on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irion Da Ronin - Forgotten World

Click on image to download it, or feel free to go to my Soundcloud to drop some lines. Thanks.
  • Hello, my name is Irion, i'm 81 years old and i want to tell you a little story.
    I was born in Earth, a beautiful place to live i can tell...
    But it was full of greedy people who used to crush the whole blue atmosphere the way they wanted.

Few decades ago we could escape from that grey planet in a mothership called The Vanguard.
    The air was unbreathable, the trees, fauna and flora was almost extinguished. And humans were the next ones. So we have to do things fast.

Now we are living in a new planet, completely automated, top notch technology available in a moon of Saturn planet.
    Everything here is grey and white. No colours anymore.
    Animals don't exists anymore.
    No real trees. There are artificial trees which exchange oxygen that we have to pay for.
    Science tried to recreate animals and real plants, but all of them were dying in a few minutes due something wrong in the air they don't want to tell about.
    Only us, humans are adapted to this new atmosphere.

It's very cold here. I'm missing the analog life in that blue planet.

The Earth has come back to normal after 30 years without humans on it.
    Nobody cares now, nobody recalls that round rock. Too many bad memories about wars, politicians, fear, bloody events.
    But i remember it very well. I'm a very nostalgic man for forgetting the planet where i grew up big part of my life. With the worst and the best.

Music continues being the same it was 50 years ago. Nothing different from that nostalgic epoque, only that now we can make music just thinking it, plugged to musical machines.
    No more quality neither, all that marketing that companies want to put in our heads it's only bulshit nowadays.

Here are new rules. Touching others is forbidden now.
    Damn it, even to talk with others has been forbidden.
    Laws, who wants those... They are saying that just to split all of us.

Now the Art is the only way people can express their feelings to others.
    People is more accustomed to get social through Netsphere, implants in their brains and other electronic gear.
    How i miss these old times...

Anyway, i have something important to tell you.
    I'm sending this message back to 2013 through time machine system, hacking an old server in a very old forum i used to be with great musicians 50 years ago, i'm wondering where are them now, in my actual time, in this bittering planet without flowers...
    Also i wanted to send a pic i made before we moved to Vilnius. I took this pic before everything was totally screwed up, i knew this was going to happen, but nobody wanted to give a shit about it.

Please, take care about planet Earth, we all can choose. Save that forbidden world.... It's our real priceless home.

[End of transcription...]
Samples used

·Free ethnic samples from Freeloops
·Free field recording from Musicradar
·Free Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra from Mattias Westlund. (Violin Solo) SSO

VSTis used

·U-he Zebra 2 (Pads, Bass, Synths)
·Alchemy (Female Choirs and Violin Solo)
·Wusik Station 6 (Piano)

VSTs used

MG Tempo Delay (free)
Flux BitterSweet (free)
Voxengo MSED (free)
Variety of Sound Density MK III (free)
TAL Reverb 3 (free)
FL Love Philter
FL Studio Limiter
FL Parametric EQ 2
JB Barricade Pro (free)

Some automations.
Created, Mixed and Mastered in 4 hours in FL Studio 10.

Inspired in Flower videogame for PS3.
Picture edited by Irion Da Ronin.

I hope you like this one. Enjoy.

Have a nice day and good luck everyone :)

Wearing a chunky cardigan, slippers and smoking a pipe an ageing beanpole looks back on the technological advances made in the previous 50 years

https://soundcloud.com/beanybhoy/1304_b ... nload?.mp3

Rocking Chair Memories

DAW
Reason 3
Tracktion 2

Instruments
Line 6 Variax electric guitar
Epiphone acoustic guitar
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Tracktion 4-Band Equaliser & Compressor
Kjaerhaus Classic Reverb & Chorus
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

i have decided to submit this despite it being unfinished

my 'take' on the future with regard to music style is that despite the prevalence of new forms and genres, they won't negate other styles that people enjoy

how i felt it would differ would be with regard to delivery....with the prevalence of 3d home cinema with 7.1 sound currently, i envisage a time when people will come to view stereo as 2d, flat and uninteresting.....with this in mind, added to the fact that most music seems to be listened on various mp3 players and smartphones, i reckon that music will be tailored more and more towards headphone listening and that binaural mixing will become very popular

i ran up against time issues and conflicts with my job, but my intention with this piece was that it would have ended up with a lot of automation across the binaural field....it was intended as a 'headphone-only' composition....also much of the parts contained within were to be resampled and granulated/stretched to smooth out the edges and give it a distant, future feel

i still intend to complete this project, and hope some of you will be interested to hear the final result...until then, this is my w.i.p

host :

logic pro

instruments used :

omnisphere, sculpture, alchemy player, miroslav phil, battery 3, exs24

effects used :

logic's channel eq, logic's compresser, logic's ad limiter, logic's stereo delay, logic's tape delay, valhalla shimmer, guitar rig le, logic's space designer, bram supertrigga

lullaby for a dark future

http://soundcloud.com/el-bo/1304_el-bo_ ... darkfuture

Return to “Music Cafe”