THX-15 - ElectroProg (Seismic Dirge)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Brisbot wrote:The part around 4:00 is great. I'm really wondering how you did that.
A sharp intake of helium.

That vocal was actually made using Sampletank Free and Valhalla Shimmer.

Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

Wicked cool Tim, definitely has a dark side, tho it's not quite gloomy enough for me to think of as a full-on dirge. That opening piano with those long ringing harmonics is great, and the bass under the piano, subtle and so nice. I like the drone note you bring in. Like the sharp synth accompanying the vocal part as well.

I hesitate to make a judgement call as I'm listening on ear buds tonight, but could the drums be a bit heavier?

Either way, very much enjoyed! :)
Image Image

Pleasant listening, I like such old school electric drums. The final synth part is indeed somewhat ear-splitting, not even in level but those razor sharp highs spinning around, feel like having your head shaven with a katana.

polyslax wrote:Wicked cool Tim, definitely has a dark side, tho it's not quite gloomy enough for me to think of as a full-on dirge. That opening piano with those long ringing harmonics is great, and the bass under the piano, subtle and so nice. I like the drone note you bring in. Like the sharp synth accompanying the vocal part as well.
Thanks very much for checking this out and commenting, Matt :)
polyslax wrote: I hesitate to make a judgement call as I'm listening on ear buds tonight, but could the drums be a bit heavier?

Either way, very much enjoyed! :)

I was trying to break away from, and augment my instrumental "usual suspects" when I made this, hence the kit used here (along with the Sampletank sounds). That kit doesn't have the heaviest of sounds, but I thought it sounded interesting alongside the proggy stuff.

I just made some volume adjustments in the mix and tweaked the Master EQ. I also took the opportunity to boost the Pro-53 pads.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Zombie Queen wrote:Pleasant listening, I like such old school electric drums. The final synth part is indeed somewhat ear-splitting, not even in level but those razor sharp highs spinning around, feel like having your head shaven with a katana.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, ZQ. Glad you liked it :)

I like those old drumkits too. If I can get the laptop hooked up to the TD4-K in the next couple of months, you probably won't like 'em quite so much :hihi:

I'm glad I had my haircut yesterday morning. Your sartorial alternative would be interesting but ultimately gruesome, I fear. I hope those new headphones are settling down.

Like an 80s B movie soundtrack. That's intended as compliment. I usually don't like super tight quantization but the timbre you've created here compliments it so well.

seismic1 wrote:I hope those new headphones are settling down.
I don't really know. It's strange experience, most of the music I like sounds like shit on them. Even worse, when I go back to old headphones or speakers, it all now sounds like shit too, as it seems dull and lacking details in comparison. They ultimately destroyed my listening pleasure, but maybe they would be useful tool, I still didn't adjust. Sorry for the OT.

Genetic_Junk wrote:Like an 80s B movie soundtrack. That's intended as compliment. I usually don't like super tight quantization but the timbre you've created here compliments it so well.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, GJ. Glad you liked it :)

I wonder whether the reverbs and delays on here go some way towards disguising the rigid nature of this piece. It's definitely chock full of '80s elements. I just can't seem to shake them off :)

Zombie Queen wrote:
seismic1 wrote:I hope those new headphones are settling down.
I don't really know. It's strange experience, most of the music I like sounds like shit on them. Even worse, when I go back to old headphones or speakers, it all now sounds like shit too, as it seems dull and lacking details in comparison. They ultimately destroyed my listening pleasure, but maybe they would be useful tool, I still didn't adjust. Sorry for the OT.
This can be tricky. You have to consider various factors, burn-in, adjustments/tuning, and whether the sound of the equipment is just plain different to that which you are already accustomed to.

I'm about to go through the same process with my HiFi. I'm about to replace my aging Arcam with a Cyrus. I know this will entail getting used to a "colder", more precise sound, which is certainly more accurate, but it's a big change to make. I have to be sure that it's what I want before taking the plunge. There are alternative amplifiers in the price range I'm looking at, but they all have pros and cons. I'm trying to limit the compromises here.

Return to “Music Cafe”