Recant - ElectroProg (Seismic Backtracking)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:I have had some time to absorb the new mix. The new version of Gated Synth1 does sound more lively.

I decided I like the new acid bass. It adds more energy to the ending at the risk of cluttering up the mix.

There is no timing issue with Gated Synth2 but I'm still unsure of its sound. I would have put both gated synths through phasers to thin them out and make them move more. I have a bunch of phasers: Phase Mistress, Fazortan, Big Rock, and the one that comes with Studio One. They all sound quite different from each other. I spend a lot of time experimenting with all of them.

Overall, I give the new mix a thumbs up. :tu:
I added some stereo ensemble FX to the gated Synth1 (Synthmaster). The acid bass was added on a whim, but when I heard it through the Arcam/Missions, I thought that it gave the track a lot of "drive", not to mention that it really filled out the sound. I don't use phasers that much. I have the EnergyXT built-in unit and a Blue Cat phaser. For hardware I have a Zoom phaser and I think I have a Korg phaser in the garage somewhere. I might dig it out sometime.

Thanks for listening again, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

RLSguitar wrote:
seismic1 wrote:
RLSguitar wrote:Sounds awesome to me. Nice groove and great combination of smooth sounds. I particularly prefer darker sounds more than brighter "trebly" sounds, and smooth or "creamy" over harsh. Great work! Looking forward to listening to the final production.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

I usually make brighter sounding tracks than this, but I thought that the tune was too jolly by half and decided to "bass it up" to avoid being accused of cashing in on the seasonal frolics. My next track might feature some bells :lol:

I'm probably going to leave this one alone for a while. I tend to work on tracks, leave them alone for 2-3 years, polish them up a little and then let the dust settle.
Well, looking forward to listening to more from you. I can relate, I sometimes leave my songs for a few years too before revisiting and "fine tuning".
The next one should be up in 2 or 3 weeks. I have three more tracks to remix, then I'm going to work on some "new" stuff.

Allomerus wrote:
Bring on the Bells!!! :)
In a manner of speaking :hihi:

ok. so i must be listening to the later version?

i like it when the kick really gets going '4 on the floor' after the early development of the organ solo, and into the arps.

of the percussion leading up to that, i keep thinking.. 'maybe just a simple 4 on the floor kick, pretty much throughout (sometime after a kickless intro segment); a kick with breaks.

really like the tom/snare type rolls, and the 'crashes' for spice.

think maybe 'hats' could be more on the off beats.

having said all of that... maybe that's the entire point. making the percussion intriguing rather than predictable.

really liked the various synth sounds.

oh, was thinking maybe a 'multitap delay' 'getting stronger and weaker over time' to give the main synth a bit more rhythmic variation? ok, yada yada

mrblitz wrote:ok. so i must be listening to the later version?

i like it when the kick really gets going '4 on the floor' after the early development of the organ solo, and into the arps.

of the percussion leading up to that, i keep thinking.. 'maybe just a simple 4 on the floor kick, pretty much throughout (sometime after a kickless intro segment); a kick with breaks.

really like the tom/snare type rolls, and the 'crashes' for spice.

think maybe 'hats' could be more on the off beats.

having said all of that... maybe that's the entire point. making the percussion intriguing rather than predictable.

really liked the various synth sounds.
The SoundCloud track is the new one. The original is still on kiwi6.

The kick with breaks idea is interesting, but it might upset the contrast between the last couple of minutes and the rest of the track. I had a play with the percussion last night, but wasn't really able to come up with anything that I liked. As is usual with these things, stepping back and leaving it alone for a few months may be the best thing to do.

I liked the idea of the multitap delay on the synth. I recently picked up a few new tools which could possibly be used in a "trance-grater" mode. I shall experiment.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting mrblitz. Glad you liked it :)

:)

wow a lot written about right and wrong on this, and in some ways thats good, sometimes you have to be able stand back from a toon and think about it in a different way. from the version I'm hearing it has good dynamics, interesting changes with variation. I'm use to hearing your tracks open up for the ending and this didn't disappoint, smokin final section

CascadianSynths wrote::)
:D :D

wavephonic wrote:wow a lot written about right and wrong on this, and in some ways thats good, sometimes you have to be able stand back from a toon and think about it in a different way. from the version I'm hearing it has good dynamics, interesting changes with variation. I'm use to hearing your tracks open up for the ending and this didn't disappoint, smokin final section
You got it. It's a question of perspective, mainly. I'm often (though not always) seeing these tracks from a different perspective to other people. My perspective is usually hampered by various baggage and detritus. My main motivation for "completing" a piece often changes from one track to the next. It often happens that I lose focus on an important factor during the process of completing a piece. The comments here often serve to help me address the particular issue under discussion, and sometime have the added bonus of kickstarting something else. this process is not only useful and informative, but can often be entertaining and, dare I say it, fun?

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you liked it :)

Have a great Xmas.

Return to “Music Cafe”