January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kryptonaut wrote: Oh... I apologise if I suggested a duff theme :?

I thought - it's Ragnarok, Gotterdammerung - besides being 'topical', it's also the end of the world, heralded by blasts on the mighty Gjallerhorn - gods fighting gods and being slain by giant wolves and serpents, floods, earthquakes, and the Earth being reborn - must be inspiration there surely? Metal? Folk? Classical? Prog rock? Operatic? Filmscore? Vangelis-style epic synth rock?
Not necessarly a bad theme, just one I can't identify with at all :shrug:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

kryptonaut wrote:
folderol wrote:
Hellfog wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:Submissions thread is locked, voting thread is up.

Next month:
RAGNAROK

This month you are asked to submit an entry about/in honor of Ragnarok.

Emphatic note #1: To ensure that entries get in before the big event (or because it is a short month), submissions are due by early (five) a.m. Central US time on the 22nd instead of the 25th.

Emphatic note #2: Time limit is back to three minutes.
(If you like the theme, credit goes to kryptonaut; if not, blame goes to me.)

Very strange themes this days.
Indeed. I'm afraid they are getting too strange for me :(
Oh... I apologise if I suggested a duff theme :?

I thought - it's Ragnarok, Gotterdammerung - besides being 'topical', it's also the end of the world, heralded by blasts on the mighty Gjallerhorn - gods fighting gods and being slain by giant wolves and serpents, floods, earthquakes, and the Earth being reborn - must be inspiration there surely? Metal? Folk? Classical? Prog rock? Operatic? Filmscore? Vangelis-style epic synth rock?

No you are absolutely right, 10 years ago this will have been me 100%. But lately i have been too comfortable with electronic music. I do play other music styles than synth music, so this can be a perfect opportunity for me.

This is actually right up in my alley.

kryptonaut wrote:I thought - it's Ragnarok, Gotterdammerung - besides being 'topical', it's also the end of the world, heralded by blasts on the mighty Gjallerhorn - gods fighting gods and being slain by giant wolves and serpents, floods, earthquakes, and the Earth being reborn - must be inspiration there surely? Metal? Folk? Classical? Prog rock? Operatic? Filmscore? Vangelis-style epic synth rock?
It's an awesome theme. :tu:

Hellfog wrote: This is actually right up in my alley.
foosnark wrote: It's an awesome theme. :tu:
That's good to hear :)

Zombie Queen wrote:my notes on remaining entries:

Darko A - Is this EPM? (Electronic Pan Music) Nice choice of sound and good mixing, it seems a little repetitive toward the end.
Hi Zombie Queen,
yes it is EPM (I tried :D)

I did ran out of idea how to extend the theme a little. The theme just 'poped-up' in one session on my keyboard and then inspiration 'stopped' :)

Thanks for listening!
Regards

kryptonaut wrote:
I agree.
No longer a moderator.

I think the more esoteric or strange the theme the better - to me this contest is a good way to stretch your songwriting ability, and I look forward to the more off the beaten track themes.

BTW - thanks everyone for the votes so far this month!

3. Darko A - really nice production values and great structure. The ping-pong of the main "pan" theme became a little too too by the end
Infinite gratitude for your truthful wisdom Mr. Natural! :wink:
I also like your other comment, very much down to the point. :D

Best wishes
Darko

And thanks to Mr Natural for the comments on mine. Glad that the drums were appreciated - didn't know if that time signature would go down well, but it seems to have done! :)

Hopefully tonight I'll have time to write a few of my own - I'll try! It's hard enough sometimes to listen through to appreciate everything enough to vote, and I don't always have time to think through what to say about the tracks.

kryptonaut wrote:
I like it - perfect for a brooding, epic dark ambient death riot! :troll:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

I know I've been absent for quite some time...but as an old-school experimental crow guy, I just wanted to stop in and say that the January theme(s) were great. :clap:

"Form the experimental crow!" :lol:
"a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption"

vespers75 wrote:I know I've been absent for quite some time...but as an old-school experimental crow guy, I just wanted to stop in and say that the January theme(s) were great. :clap:

"Form the experimental crow!" :lol:
Yeah, shame you didn't get a chance to put something together for this month - that would have been worth hearing. :hihi:

robojam wrote:I think the more esoteric or strange the theme the better - to me this contest is a good way to stretch your songwriting ability, and I look forward to the more off the beaten track themes.
Yeah, and many of the Contest's themes require not taking too literal an approach.

Those of us who are relatively familiar with the Wagner stuff know that by the time he composed Götterdämmerung well into his 50s, his compositional and orchestrating talents were such that the music is as much full of beautiful parts as of the kind that one might associate with that title. In fact, it was perhaps because of that that some like Nietzche and G. B. Shaw didn't care as much for Wagner's final works. IMHO, they maybe couldn't accept that the music had won out over the story. :tu:

Besides, what about the chance some will have to write some wild "Ragna-Rock" entries? :hihi:

rp314 wrote:Besides, what about the chance some will have to write some wild "Ragna-Rock" entries? :hihi:
I was thinking of working on a Reggae-narock entry myself... :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”