The Headmaster (Acid Techno)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right, so everything has been redone.

Much happier with it now that it's basically a completely new track.
The other one was an abomination.

http://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/headmaster

Thoughts as always will be most appreciated :tu:

Obviously still a few things to tidy up, but it's a start 8)
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I kinda like it cause i like acid.
but its a bit to boring imo
maybe add another melody with an other matching synth to it.
and i cant really give any feedback on the sounds itself cause i'm still a noob at music production;)

Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

But not on the eastern front... :hihi:

Nice bass line but I would experiment a bit with the movie vocals to make some nice effects with them. At the moment they're a bit lost in the mix...

ooooooo i like the..... hey where did it go????? :x :tantrum: :-D
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Right, so everything has been redone.

Much happier with it now that it's basically a completely new track.
The other one was an abomination.

Thoughts as always will be most appreciated :tu:

Obviously still a few things to tidy up, but it's a start 8)

BTW, i've certainly made a mess of this thread :oops:

Liked.

Much better production on the levels mate.

Personal taste objectively...sounds a little 2 dimensional, maybe a little delay on the lower bass part could help and maybe a tad on the top..just my preference.

Been playing with ABL3 tonight and really not sure why i would want a TB3 however, I am still mulling over the idea of xoxbox...grrr

Keep em comming mushy

MFXxx wrote:Liked.

Much better production on the levels mate.
Many thanks mate 8)
MFXxx wrote:Personal taste objectively...sounds a little 2 dimensional, maybe a little delay on the lower bass part could help and maybe a tad on the top..just my preference.
Interestingly this is exactly the same feedback I received from multiple sources on the previous one. Obviously it's something I need to work on. Appreciate the advice and feedback.
MFXxx wrote:Been playing with ABL3 tonight and really not sure why i would want a TB3 however, I am still mulling over the idea of xoxbox...grrr
Same here really. Some synths are appropriate in software form and obviously on par with their hardware. However the 303 is a must have hardware device IMO. Not for the sound, but just for the sheer fun factor and knobs. Do it mate :tu:

I thought the intro was too long (take this with a pinch of salt, some of my tracks are intros). I think you could probably shave 50-55 seconds from the beginning. The track didn't really come alive for me until that acid synth arrived at 2:03.

I think I agree with MFXxx about this sounding a little 2 dimensional. I would have liked to hear something like a reverbed gated synth playing 1/16ths over the top of the other synths in a higher register towards the end, just to give the piece a build/climax . It sounded a little "flatter" than your usual tracks. Mix sounded good. I liked the bass and kick combo.

I would have commented sooner, but this is the first chance I've had to listen to it decently loud.

Reminds me of Capt TinRib, but it's missing the giant reverb drenched breakdown in the middle that comes back all insane like. God kids loved that shit in the 90s. Yeah, it either needs more energy to push it along, or, if you'd rather, less to pull it back.

IIRC, the formula for the energy stuff was to slowly work in some other kind of line coming out of the breakdown, have a second shorter breakdown, followed by all knobs on ten, all hands up! Ok, you're a little more techno, a little less Capt. Insane, I get it. I like it but I wanted more character somewhere.

I have to admit, this stuff is a total guilty pleasure for me. I still play sets for my own amusement from time to time.

seismic1 wrote:I thought the intro was too long (take this with a pinch of salt, some of my tracks are intros). I think you could probably shave 50-55 seconds from the beginning. The track didn't really come alive for me until that acid synth arrived at 2:03.
Valid point. A lot of similar techno tracks have equally long intro's and yet they don't sound boring or repetitive. Mine does :shrug: I don't think i'll shorten it because Acid/Techno tracks should all be 7/8 minutes IMO, but I will work on the repetition.
seismic1 wrote:I think I agree with MFXxx about this sounding a little 2 dimensional. I would have liked to hear something like a reverbed gated synth playing 1/16ths over the top of the other synths in a higher register towards the end, just to give the piece a build/climax .
That is a great idea to include the 1/16th synth later in the track. My only concern would be that it then becomes too NRG/hard trancy. Will try it and see though 8)
seismic1 wrote:It sounded a little "flatter" than your usual tracks. Mix sounded good. I liked the bass and kick combo.
Thanks very much for your invaluable feedback as always.

Return to “Music Cafe”