Super Metroid remix - so. with good subbass critique pls

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/skoshu/maridian-meltdown

so looking at the EQ spectrum thing, the mix has quite a bit of low frequency. i've rolled it off at 35 hz or so, but my speakers only go down to 70.
if anyone who can test for deep bass could give some feedback, i'd be thankful.

the tune was inspired by playing with the C700 vsti, always loved the sounds and compositions in Metroid. notation is close to the original, added bells, whistles and some oontz. just a bit of fun.

It's a fun track. It seemed more coherent than the others.

In my opinion, the synth bass is fairly loud and the kick drum is too loud. I would suggest lowering them in the mix rather than messing with EQ.

You're possibly right. The kick sounded just right on my speakers (wanted it loud for sure), but now that i played it back on a stereo it seems a bit too dominant with its boominess.

I guess as i'm not making tracks for da club anyway, i should be fine mixing on my smaller speakers (presonus eris 4.5, love em for the price!), then check how it plays out on a bass heavier but less accurate hifi.

Thanks for the comment!

Cool track with a ton of details. The intro really evoked the game to me and I liked the outro a lot as well. The glitchier middle sections were effective on their own, but something about the build-up to them was weird to me.

In terms of the mix, I was listening on some Behringer monitors without a woofer, but the mix sounded really solid to me, maybe a little mid heavy. If I heard this in a non-critique context, I would have no problems with the mix.

Brilliant :) The metroid series are among my favourite games of all time. I don't know how many hours I spent in the metroid prime universe. This really evoked the games well for me and I love how creative you've been. I will give it a critical listen later in the day when I can crank things up a bit.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Hey thanks. I'm happy both of you think it's kind of true to the game. Now at some parts i enjoyed getting a little goofy, but i have huge respect for the OST and its at that time unique approach of including ambient elements.

There's so much goodness in the soundtrack...i tried to find this track on youtube earlier, and ended up at "Lower Maridia", which is different, somber and deserted sounding and excellent in its own way. I might tackle another of these great tracks sometime.

I'm listening on Fostex PM1 MkII's (6.5" woofer) in a well treated room and I have personally tested the low response - they go down to 45 Hz. The low end sounds great - 'tight' would be the word to describe it. I can play it at pretty high SPL's and it still sounds tight to me. You might even be able to get away with a touch more sub in there if you wanted it to really bang :D The only critique I have is that the section at 2'40" jumps out the speaker on the (too) loud side imo. I think it's the melody line that's too loud and is a bit uncomfortable at high volume. Other than that it's great :)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Thanks for testing! That's a relief to hear.
Interesting bit about 2'40. the melody doesn't sound all that loud on my setup - gonna check that on other systems when i can. i can see why the whole section might be a little over the top though mixing wise.
i still have some things to learn about my speaker's quirks. they're pretty new to me.
but on the whole i'm very happy i can get decent results with no room treatment and ~180 euro speakers! stuff has become so affordable hasn't it.

I listened a couple of days ago, but couldn't really get into it, probably because I had the volume too low. I've played it three or four times tonight and I enjoyed it. I liked the sounds and the music was very entertaining. I didn't have any problem with the levels on here, I liked the bass and kick. The final section sounded great.

Good work :)

Track is really fun and enjoyable. You try to do a lot in your music it seems, but you pull it off. People argue against cramming a lot in, but I say, if you got it, flaunt it! As long as you strike a balance with some simpler tracks.

Bass end mix sounds fine on my end. Speaker mix is good and listening loud on headphones is comfortable.

EDIT: I agree with what androids said about the part at 2:40. It could be a bit quieter, but it's acceptable as-is.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

happy you got some enjoyment from it!

it's funny, a lot of my older stuff (before the long music break) was way crammier, more eclectic, and did more weird juxtaposition type stuff. pulling back on that a little feels refreshing to me now, and i have a harder time enjoying some of the older things i've done. but yes, if anything i'll be on the "too much" side of things as opposed to too little.

reminds me a bit of something i remember squarepusher saying, something like "maybe my music is fast but i don't even recognise that anymore".
you get used to a certain sound you're chasing, and that becomes the standard.
from my perspective, i'm getting old ;) from other's, i might just become borderline listenable.

this had a very fun cartoonish vibe to me. well produced, and entertaining till the very end. the low end was a little over powering at some points but not overbearing for the most part. well done! :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”