April Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fairy Tales

This month, in honor of Hans Christian Andersen (born April 2), you are asked to submit an entry based on or inspired by a fairy tale. It doesn't need to be one of Andersen's. Please mention the tale you chose in your submission post.

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
Kara at www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

But wait! There's more! If you use SoundCloud to host your entry, you might find this tutorial by kryptonaut helpful. Bear in mind that SoundCloud's free accounts have a limit (per track) of 100 downloads.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Friday, April 25th, 2014.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1404_RoadsideAssistance_ACoolerFullofDitchweed.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. I will be booting for improperly named comps (this will not be a DQ, just a little reminder that you didn't tag your comp correctly). Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Thursday, May 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to D.H. Miltz or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their products this month (and later months until further notice).

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with noncommercial license) of Photosounder or a copy of SplineEQ for the October contest (and later months until further notice).

Dave Hoskins from QuikQuak has donated a copy of Fusion Field (full license) for December's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Dave Hoskins.

Varazuvi has donated a copy of Acoustic Guitar Pro for this March's contest (and later months until further notice. Thanks, Varazuvi.
No longer a moderator.

Emma & Lucy

LIVE9 environment
Geist
Granddaughter's Verbal Stream of Consciousness @6.5 yrs
CM mag kick sample
Operator
UltraAnalog2
Alchemy
Z3ta2
LIVE native efx
Valhalla Vintage Verb
VOS Nasty DLA2
VOS Nasty VCS (bass bus)

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I Am The Wolf

I Am The Wolf (download)
I Am The Wolf (soundcloud)

Synths:
Magix Vita (e-piano, organ, guitar, bass, perc)

FX:
Kjaerhus Classic Autofilter, Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Compressor
Spinner LE, CMFuzz, Wolfram, BiFilter2, SplineEQ
Magix EQ and Mastering

Zoom H1 Mic

DAW:
Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2014

Little Red

DAWs
Reason 3
Tracktion 2

Instruments
Epiphone acoustic guitar
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Tracktion Compressor & 4-Band Equaliser
Kjaerhaus Classic Chorus & Reverb
EVM Grand Piano
Poly-2106
mda Detune
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

The Happy Family

HW : Charvel guitar, Tech21 GT2, Alesis solo tube pre

SW : USM, Minimogue VA, String Theory, NI Battery, NI Bandstand, Glaceverb, Nuclear cranium, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field

For my submission, I decided to attempt a musical retelling of the story of the Little Mermaid, from happy life under the sea to crisis of love on land to a bargain gone bad.

Tragedy of the Mermaid

https://soundcloud.com/davidstiles/trag ... he-mermaid

Stuff I used:

DAW: Mulab 5

Virtual Instruments:

Kontakt 5 Library Percussion (Glockenspiel, Timpani, Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Woodblocks)
Riverwood Air Raw Power (Bowed Vibraphone and Cymbals)
Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds (Wind ensemble and FX)
Cinesamples Cinebrass (Tuba, trombone, and trumper ensembles and FX)
8Dio Claire Clarinet
8Dio Adagietto Strings
Embertone Jubal Flute

FX and Mastering:

QuikQuak's Fusion Field
Audacity (compression)

Match Girl's Prologue

Match Girl's Prologue - Download

Equipment:

Beyerdynamic TG-x 48 mic( I know, it's a voice mic, that's why sounded a kind weird)
M-Audio Fast-Track

Pluguins: Baxter EQ, EpicVerb
Instruments: Garrido Classical Guitar, number 66
Composer and performer: Marcus Rasseli

Music Sheet download, go here

Sound Image Icon by bpal Icon Collection, original link.

Three Languages
2:15 / 3.5MB mp3 or 3.4MB ogg

mp3 . . . ogg

Inspired by The Three Languages as told by The Brothers Grimm. In the tale, the boy ends up becoming pope (as the frogs told him he would), but I found that difficult to work into the song.

Lyrics:
I know I am a stupid boy
My father told me every day
But I know what the barking dogs say

I know I am a stupid boy
That's why I was sent away
But I know what the singing birds say

I know I am a stupid boy
With no place for my head to lay*
But I know what the croaking frogs say

*-I know "lay" should be "lie" but "lie" doesn't rhyme, and besides, he's a stupid boy.

Used: MU.LAB, Audacity, Eos, CM-EQUA 87, GHi, Supercharger, Bus, Roundtone, SPAN, Session Drummer 2, acoustic guitar, MXL V63M.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Session Drummer 2 to "Used" list.
No longer a moderator.

RED HOOD

https://soundcloud.com/shangsean/red-hood

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/0e72f5c4b ... edHood.mp3

As you can probably tell, it's Little Red Riding Hood.

Broken down into the following:

i. A Walk in the Dark Woods
ii. Finally, Grandma’s House
iii. Something’s Not Quite Right in Grandma’s House
iv. Approaching Grandma’s Bed

Created in Reaper using:
Kontakt 5 (Orchestral Essentials, The Giant, Factory Library, Basstard, Bazantar)
Engine (Galaxy X, Forest Kingdom, Epic World)
Camel Space
Supercharger
Alloy 2
Ozone 5

I chose "The Little Match Girl". Story of a little girl selling match sticks in the winter night. No one buys from her and she is shivering and dying due to the cold. To keep warm she goes on lighting the match sticks. Each one lights up a scene of her dream like food,home, grandma etc., They vanish as the stick burns out. To keep her grandmother for longer time she lights the entire lot of sticks with her. As the sticks finish she dies and grandma takes her to heaven. The track begins as she lights the last clutch of sticks and continues till she dies and flies to heaven with her grandma. Edited to add details of instruments.- Akai Mpk 25, Ableton,Kontakt 5,Sampletank,Stringstudio and Cerebrum

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.ph ... ttach=6360

TINKER BELL'S WORKSHOP
https://soundcloud.com/clauderagonnet/t ... workshop-1
A simple tune for a simple fairy only able to hold one feeling at a time.
Tinker Bell was described by Barrie as a fairy who mended pots and kettles, like an actual tinker.
Mixed and mastered in Logic 9
Using the Kontakt Impact Steel Library from Impact Soundworks for all sounds except for one track made in Reaktor with RythmMaker.

DEN GRIMME AELLING (THE UGLY DUCKLING)
comprising
Parade of the Hatchlings - Lament in Winter Wilderness - Transformation and Flying Home

https://soundcloud.com/user1333790/den- ... y-duckling
Soundcloud direct download link

Instruments:

Pianoteq 4
Kontakt 5 Factory Library
Garritan Instant Orchestra
Sampletekk Renaissance Flutes

All in Reaper 4, as per usual.
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

ok this works
https://onedrive.live.com/download?resi ... 97BD%21107

Master: VST: Maxwell Smart (x86) (Lively Audio)
Track 42: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Track 42: VST: MSED (Voxengo)
Track 44: synth1.1.FXP
Track 48: synth1.2.FXP
Track 48: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Track 49: synth1.3.FXP
Track 49: JS: Pitch/superpitch
Track 49: VST: Rovee (x86) (g200kg)
Track 50: synth1.4.FXP
Track 51: synth1.4.1.FXP
Track 55: nebVBC
Track 55: nebMANLEY
Track 55: nebTAPE
Track 55: nebTRID
Track 56: VST: OmniVerb (x86) (JB)
Track 56: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Track 57: Gargoyle1.fxp100_R
Track 57: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Track 58: Gargoyle2.fxp100_L
Track 58: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Track 59: Synth1NOISEFX0.3.FXP
Track 60: VST: MSED (Voxengo)
Track 61: synth1noisefx0.2
Track 61: VST: MSED (Voxengo)
Track 63: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)
Track 65: Synth1TEMPOPAD0.3.FXP
Track 66: Synth1TEMPOPAD0.1.FXP
Track 66: VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)

Ran out of time so presented as is

Fear Dubh

Fear Dubh (the Black Man) is a rare Scottish legend concerning a malevolent entity that haunts footpaths and forests at night. It was used to scare small children to stay indoors and keep pesky children from snooping in the woods
https://soundcloud.com/docjon/1404-docjon-feardubh

Host
Cubase 6.5

Instruments
Superior Drummer
Halion Sonic SE
Lounge Lizard 4
MusicLab RealGuitar/Strat
Alchemy
Absynth

Effects
FabFilter Timeless/Saturn