After his mother died, he went to live with his grandmother

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Amazing piece. It reminded me (in terms of the swelling tension/"wrongness" with sampled voices and short ending) of something I did six years ago. Not nearly as nicely sparse and eloquent, relies more on repetition to guide the mood and focus more attention on the vocals telling the story... but maybe listeners could understand why Greg's piece reminded me of my old (albeit inferior) one.

PS if it is considered thread-jacking in Music Cafe to post music in a reply, please say so, and I'll post it in a separate thread and not do so further- not trying at all to be a "great tune but HEY LOOK AT ME!" guy, just didn't want to make note of something without an understandable reference.

http://ccmixter.org/content/duckett/duc ... e_You_.mp3

2008 - Licensed under
Creative Commons
Noncommercial Sampling Plus

Vocals/lyrics: narva9
Korg Rhythm 55B samples: Fireproof Babies
TV/other voice samples: gezortenplotz, Leady, thanvannispen, dobroide
guitar: me
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

no probs ccDuckett - I see your post as having a conversation rather than just a comment. I do the same sometimes. When I first listened to your piece I thought.. what? But you are right, the ending does have a bit of similarity. I used one of my own recordings of people and I think that makes a difference, at least from the point of view of being the composer, because I lived next to those people for a few years and felt pretty close to their predicament (and annoyed by them at times too)

Thanks Greg- yes, the fact that the people and their lives in your recording were known to you personally does make a difference; it's almost curious how while your piece is from direct personal experience, it's as that of the observer (albeit one with a front-row seat) as to how four walls can hide the flourishing of misery and broken thinking- "I'm Fine- How Are You?", while not from direct personal experience, is presented as a 1st-person expression of the crumbling of an individual's walls against their own burgeoning misery and broken thinking.

Perhaps that's what else struck a chord- that though one doesn't usually care to dwell on it, some doors and faces hold far more fierce despair behind them than their bland surfaces show to passers-by.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Had an A/B listen to each version while viewing each sausage graph from SC.
Think the annode ver. is nothing better then just louder...overly loud.
The compressor doesn`t appear to be set up best for moderately equalizing each level extreme. The vox is still quite buried. No worries.
Just wanted to say I do appreciate your time none-the-less. I`m happy to have a copy. :)
Checking out your other SC tracks now. :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

wow! :o really good and very intense. it reminded me of twin peaks, which is always a good thing. :tu:

astrochimp wrote:wow! :o really good and very intense. it reminded me of twin peaks, which is always a good thing. :tu:
Thanks Clemens - happy to take Twin Peaks :) great music, (and the Julee Cruise album from around then is good as well)

Gonna listen to your new one today again as well (and some old ones too)

Return to “Music Cafe”