Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cool exotic opening with hints of an oriental landscape, the kick and build adds that dramatic touch. nicely take your time to add elements to the groove which I think is your signature style. it breathes and has life, all nice sounds in this comp. been a while since I've noticed polyiblit used, I've got that on an old machine, I should start that thing up and see what other golden oldies I have sitting dormant there

drumity wrote:
seismic1 wrote:My White Bicycle ...
A reference to

NAZARETH ??

;-)

(( D ))
That's the one :)

datroof wrote:This is a nice piece. It's interesting that the 'oriental vibe' comes pretty much entirely from the orchestration - there's nothing particularly 'oriental' about the melody or changes. Well done Tim!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

I love using these sounds in settings that are "out of context". I'll probably try this one again in a couple of years, as it's something I keep coming back to.

I couldn`t help notice how you reply to only one comment every day or more.
That`s such an ingenious way to keep bumping your track up without looking conspicuous. I gotta try that. :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:The last 3rd interests me the most.
The bass and mid-bass-keys dance intrigued me.
They must have been keeping you busy trying to keep it all from getting too muddy down there without losing all your dynamics...and I can hear that the whole project does suffer seemingly because of that.
There may be something in this. Often, whenever I approach the final stages of a track, (usually during the mixing process, but sometimes earlier), I have a period where I say to myself "Is there enough bass on this track?" That didn't really happen on here because the track seemed to fall together quite quickly and was conceived as a bass-centric piece. It doesn't sound too bad on my KRK monitors, and is a lot clearer on the Missions, but would make for some uncomfortable listening on most laptop speakers.
annode wrote: The bass and mid-bass-keys note intervals,(not naturally harmonic intervals) also make it difficult in keeping them from beating into mud.
Listening again I forgot to mention the lead which adds even more tonal difficulty down in the mid-bass (mud) section. Then put a kick on the bottom and it gets even more interesting. :)
There is a lot of bass/low-mid stuff going on here (two kicks layered for good measure) and I knew I was digging myself into a hole, but I hoped that by making it large enough, the sides would become less steep. I'll probably take another look at this in a few months. There are a few things that could be improved upon. I'm going to let the dust settle for a while and return to it with fresh ears, and the comments in this thread.
annode wrote: I think it all turned out pretty well considering all that.
Congrates on a difficult but in the end a cool sounding project. :)
annode wrote: I couldn`t help notice how you reply to only one comment every day or more.
That`s such an ingenious way to keep bumping your track up without looking conspicuous. I gotta try that. :)
I'm going to break that habit today :wink:

Thanks very much for listening and taking the time to comment, annode :)

annode wrote:I couldn`t help notice how you reply to only one comment every day or more.
That´s one of the strategys Tim learned back in the day
as a 007-agent.
Have been in the service of Britain is serving him till today ;-)

(( D ))

Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote: I've spent some time watching those RnT2 videos. That could be very useful.
RnT is unusual but quite powerful. It doesn't follow Windows UI conventions so there is some work to decipher the functionality. Fortunately, the developer Erik is friendly and helpful.

Mac people have the somewhat similar program Numerology.
I watched all of those videos now. I was actually quite impressed with that Modulys video. I think I'll have a look at the demo next month.

seismic1 wrote: I watched all of those videos now. I was actually quite impressed with that Modulys video. I think I'll have a look at the demo next month.
I have both Modulys and Rax'n'Trax. Modulys is simpler and easier to understand than Rax'n'Trax but also less powerful. In order to get the sequencer "magic" happening, I need the interaction of the different Rax'n'Trax tools: the Mono tool affected by the Retrigger, Skipper, and Transposer tools.

I suggest demoing both if you have time.

wavephonic wrote:cool exotic opening with hints of an oriental landscape, the kick and build adds that dramatic touch. nicely take your time to add elements to the groove which I think is your signature style. it breathes and has life, all nice sounds in this comp. been a while since I've noticed polyiblit used, I've got that on an old machine, I should start that thing up and see what other golden oldies I have sitting dormant there
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, wavephonic. Glad you liked it :)

There is a bass preset that comes with polyiblit that I really like using with reverb on "softer" passages to add a little darkness to proceedings.

drumity wrote:
annode wrote:I couldn`t help notice how you reply to only one comment every day or more.
That´s one of the strategys Tim learned back in the day
as a 007-agent.
Have been in the service of Britain is serving him till today ;-)

(( D ))
All those overseas assignments probably helped :wink:

Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote: I watched all of those videos now. I was actually quite impressed with that Modulys video. I think I'll have a look at the demo next month.
I have both Modulys and Rax'n'Trax. Modulys is simpler and easier to understand than Rax'n'Trax but also less powerful. In order to get the sequencer "magic" happening, I need the interaction of the different Rax'n'Trax tools: the Mono tool affected by the Retrigger, Skipper, and Transposer tools.

I suggest demoing both if you have time.
I'll try to take a look at Rax'n'Trax later this month. I think you're right about the UI. It does appear to be quite challenging.

Return to “Music Cafe”