K5

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Live...Playing the Fool is a great album. Not badly recorded for a '76 recording. I like Octopus too.

annode wrote:
Thanks very much for the break down. Really interesting for me. My brother had a similar opinion, almost identical about Part4.

Thanks for the Gentle Giant reference. I believe polyslax made the same reference about one of the songs I posted a while ago. I remember listening to Glass House and enjoying. Do you any album recommendations?
Your welcome Genetic_Junk i`m happy it was of some value to you.
I`ve always enjoyed this style where well crafted stylized ideas are conformed into a single song going from a quiet melodic to a loud grungy rock and back again.
Gentle Giant were masters of this style, along with other artists of that era, but Gentle Giant were largely identified with it. Kerry Minnear cretaed the style. He somehow managed to write passages with a lot of movement, not really in a single key. He used styles like medieval and baroque but with an off kilter, oddness. Really big on the counterpoint. I can certainly see how hearing a few of their LPs could give you some inspiration Genetic_Junk.

- Three Friends 1972 - early in their career, just making it with college radio. Not well engineered audibly but some great tunes in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT51ExR ... ED1C7DAD80
- Interview 1976 - a refreshing album long overdue by this time in their career.
More like their earlier work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCfJM- ... FB15F377F5

They made other good records, but maybe too outside the direction your looking at here. If you like these two, maybe you`ll also like 'Power and The Glory' and 'Free Hand'?
Thanks for the recommendations. Listening to Three Friends now, I can hear what you mean by lots of movement and oddness. Schooldays is really cool.

drumity wrote:
Genetic_Junk wrote:Keeping with a sort of pop sound:

https://archive.org/download/K5Final/k5%20final.mp3

Lots of layering for the distorted guitars and drums in the thicker parts. Some vocoding mixed with vocals. A little use of the new bazille beta.
Nice tune Genetic !
I appreciate the creativity and the ability to play some instruments.
It has surely some 70s spirit, in terms of arrangement freedom and apart of
pop structure determination.
As others stated before, there are some instrumentation issues, as well as some mixing problems.
I enjoyed parts of the tune nonetheless ;-)
Genetic_Junk wrote:RMS is lower than current commercial levels so you'll need to turn up your listening device to reach normal listening levels.
That´s absolutely some seal of quality :tu:

(( D )
Thanks for your comments drumity. :)

I'm certain I could have better carved out spectrum areas for each of the elements ― highpass and lowpass the distorted guitars, for example. But sometimes I like the mushy sound when the elements are intolerant and sort trespass into each others space.

Glad you appreciate the nonmaximizer. I don't really apply any processing at all on the master, except a limiter to prevent clips.

...Schooldays is really cool.
Yes.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

seismic1 wrote:Live...Playing the Fool is a great album. Not badly recorded for a '76 recording. I like Octopus too.
Thanks seismic. I'll check them out.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Repeatedly. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”