July Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Polyrhythm

This month your entry must make at least some use of polyrhythm.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
Encyclopedia Brittanica: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... polyrhythm

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
Kara at http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

But wait! There's more! If you use SoundCloud to host your entry, you might find this tutorial by kryptonaut helpful. Bear in mind that SoundCloud's free accounts have a limit (per track) of 100 downloads.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Friday, July 25th, 2014.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1407_TheKavanThree_ASongforMaryLamb.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Friday, August 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to D.H. Miltz or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their
products this month (and later months until further notice).

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with noncommercial license) of Photosounder or a copy of SplineEQ for the October contest (and later months until further notice).

Dave Hoskins from QuikQuak has donated a copy of Fusion Field (full license) for December's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Dave Hoskins.

Varazuvi has donated a copy of Acoustic Guitar Pro for this March's contest (and later months until further notice. Thanks, Varazuvi.

Kong Audio has offered the choice of ErHu I, Xun, or MaTouQin for July's contest (and August's and September's). Thanks, Kong Audio.

Uncle E from JRR Shop has donated any one of the following: UVI Mello, UVI Digital Synsations, SONiVOX Pulse, SONiVOX Vocalizer, SONiVOX Wobble, SONiVOX Twist for July's contest (and later months until further notice).
No longer a moderator.

I finished my submission pretty quickly. All parts written and played by Nine of Kings.
http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/veeqh5nb4 ... Guilty.mp3

Instruments used: Dean Vendetta guitar through LePou and Simulanalog amp sims, as well as the excellent PitchProof pitch shifter for the bass. Dominator synth used for the lead/bass sound.

Drums were all samples from various Goldbaby tape drum packs, as well as the Drumdrops Yamaha set for the acoustic snare, crash, and hats.

The song includes me attempting to play various polyrhythms in different sections of the track, including 3:4, 5:4, and 12:8 (12/8 over 4/4).

The Movie Outside My Front Door

starring:
LIVE9
with, in order of appearance:
Gurian JM (C-series circa 1977)
Shure Beta58a
Alchemy
Z3ta2
Drumrack
LIVE EPiano
uTonic
also starring:
LIVE native efx
UltraChannel
Vallhala Vintage Verb
and featuring:
Ozone5
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

RITORNO ALLE DOLOMITI
(Just the noise! Rhythm dissertation is in Gossip thread.)

https://soundcloud.com/user1333790/1407 ... e-dolomiti

Ritorno alle Dolomiti

All in software, as per usual.

Special thanks to freesound.org sample providers Ulrike-Brigitte for the cowbell cows, and Acclivity for the vocal cows. (Oh, and thanks to the cowbell cows and vocal cows themselves, of course!)

Synths: U-He Diva, NI Monark
Acoustic and Electro-acoustic pianos: Modartt Pianoteq 5
Drums: Rayzoon Jamstix 3.6
Synth bass: NI Steampipe 2
Slap bass: Scarbee Jay-Bass
Choir & strings: Korg M1
Cinematic drums: Garritan Instant Orchestra
Erhu, shawm, Dvojnice double flute: Garritan World Instruments

Misc FX: NI Guitar Rig 5, Korg MDE-X
Send Reverb: ArtsAcoustic

Channel processing: NI Solid Mix, TB Ferrox, Waves RBass

Master Processing: TB ReelBus, TB Barricade

DAW: REAPER 4
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Hey, I was so busy, I could not jam so much on this tune, so everything is not really well refined.
I hope it achieve my goal of sending out a feeling of quietly watching a sunset (more or less intense)

Sunset Highights

9/8 over 3/4 then 5/4 over 3/4 (to simulate a cloudy sky)
and then again 9/8 over 3/4 when finally the sun sinks in the sea

HW : Fender Srato guitar, Tech21 GT2, Alesis solo tube pre.
SW : Minimogue VA, String Theory, NI Battery, NI Bandstand, Oddly organ, Mr.Alias, DSK Elektrik Keyz, PI Elektro piano, Glaceverb, Nuclear cranium, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field

https://soundcloud.com/reptussanctus/14 ... -jailbreak

https://soundcloud.com/reptussanctus/14 ... k/download

I used the following DAW to compose and master this track: FL Studio 10

I used the following plugins to compose this track:

-NI Massive (Native Instruments through FL 10)
-Drumpad [Drum, Accessory Drum, Clap, Acc. Clap] (FL 10)
-Club Drum Presets [ClubKick] (FL 10)
-Reverb [For Mastering] (FL 10)
-Bass Boost [For Mastering] (FL 10)

Other than these five plugins I didn't use anything else. I tried to keep this track as simple as I could while still maintaining the integrity of the polyrhythm.
Polyrhythm appears near time marker 00:01:06 as a quarter note versus a double and triple eighth note and becomes more complicated through the rest of the composition due to dotted notes (on the main voice) and the like. I'm not really that interested in winning, just in participating. Figured it would be good practice, not to mention fun utilizing a random element of music. A full version of the same song is up (I got carried away and had to edit down for entry) for listening pleasure on my "Holy Rebuked EDM" thread here in the Cafe.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link for those of who have SoundCloud players blocked.
~~~~PLUR & may the EDM be with you~~~~

Three versus five to begin with. Later four joins the show.

A Hole in the World

A sickie quickie. Making the best of the flu and a laptop. Apologies for the busted voice, but hopefully it sort of fits.

Used: drumatic 3, sampletank, camelphat 2, phlegm.

there's a hole in the world where the answer should be
there's a hole in the world, hallelujah
if you know what it means then you're better than me
if you're better than me, hallelujah
so swim, my pretties, and fly away

there's a pattern i see where the numbers collide
there's a pattern i swear, hallelujah
i don't know if it's real or the pills kicking in
are the pills kicking in? hallelujah
so swim, my pretties, and fly away

Nothing

This was a tough one, still haven't figured it out.

Alchemy, Wav sample drums, Reaper, Trillian.

https://soundcloud.com/aaron_cotton/green

Aaron Cotton - Green

My songs always end up being weird eclectic mixes of styles, this one is reggae, chill, jazz, and a little downtempo. I have only been producing music for a few years, but I think this turned out pretty well. The song is completely ITB, host application is Ableton Live 9. I'm the sole composer, no collaboration on this song.

VSTs used: RealGuitar, EWQL Sturmdrum 2, Native Instruments Kontakt. Lounge Lizard. FabFilter, Korg M1

Mastering with Ozone 5

Some Samples from "Slo Mo Atmospheres" (Future Music Magazine Issue 262)

As far as poly-rhythm, that really made this contest interesting. I struggled with making a cross-rhythm "flow" until I found this on wikipedia: "...The two cycles do not share equal status though. The two bottom notes are the primary beats, the ground, the main temporal referent. The three notes above are the secondary beats...." (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-beat)

After lots of experimentation, I settled on 4/4 time with a 5:4 cross-rhythm on the hi-hats and some of the "ethnic" percussion. I was experimenting for over 2 weeks to try to come up with something acceptable, composing 3 other songs in the process. I wont link to them here, but on my Soundcloud, they are "Indigo", "Yellow" and "Layna's Melody."

A few of the parts are in 3:2. The "Ground" of the song follows the 4/4 time and that's why it ends up not sounding disjointed.

I'm a very visual person (weird for someone with music as a hobby :)) so here is an example of the main rhythm I used:

Last edited by AaronCotton on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7 Seals 4 Horsemen
http://soundcloud.com/clauderagonnet/7-seals-4-horsemen
7 x 4 bars in 7/4 + 4/4 melody (?) on top.
Made on Ipad in Garageband Using DM1, DrumJam, Alchemy Mobile, Ivoxel through Audiobus
Mastered in Logic using Ozone 5

Faded Glory

DAWs
Reason 3
Tracktion 2

Instruments
Epiphone acoustic guitar
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Tracktion Compressor, 4-Band Equaliser & Sampler
Kjaerhaus Classic Chorus & Reverb
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

Lost in Space and Time

Various sections have 3 or 6 beats overlaid with 4 or 8, to produce a polyrhythmic effect.

Lost in Space and Time (download)
Lost in Space and Time (soundcloud)

Here in this wretched room
No light can pierce the gloom
A foetus in the womb
A corpse within a tomb

My sightless eyes are glazed
My memories erased
My thoughts no longer race
I’m lost in time and space

I once was proud to be
Part of society
But my mortality
Has overtaken me

My heart, my soul, my mind
Have faded and declined
My body, left behind
Is lost in space and time

Synths:
Magix Vita (guitars, drums)
Alchemy (bass, mallets, choir, organ, synths)

FX:
Kjaerhus Classic Chorus, Compressor, Reverb, Delay
SpinnerLE
CMFuzz
CompressiveCM

Vocals
Zoom H1

Magix EQ and Mastering

DAW:
Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2014

Fizzle
2:23 / 3.9MB mp3 or 3.5MB ogg

mp3 . . . ogg

Dead ends and torpor led to this malformed little thing. There might be some passing polyrhythmic bits in it. Maybe not. I don't know.

Used: MU.LAB, Audacity, Eos, RP-Delay, GHi, Classic EQ, Bus, Roundtone, Kontakt (the tiny bit of electric piano), acoustic guitar, shortwave noises I had sitting around, MXL V63M.
No longer a moderator.

Here's my entry for the month. This was a challenging theme - I had plenty of dead ends along the way! In the end, what I ended up with sounded to me like sort of a gentle habanera... hence the title. It has two quite distinct parts - the first half has its tempo strictly locked, and the second is slower and a bit more free-wheeling.

Pastoral Habanera

https://soundcloud.com/davidstiles/pastoral-habanera

Stuff I used:

DAW: Mulab 5

VSTs:

8Dio Adagietto strings and 8DiOboe
Soundiron Iron Packs 3 and 4 for percussion, pads and choir
Cinebrass Core solo trumpet
Kontakt 5 Factory Library for orchestral percussion (tuned and untuned)

Compression and mp3 conversion by Audacity

THE GATHERING

https://soundcloud.com/forw/1408-forw-the-gathering

https://soundcloud.com/forw/1408-forw-t ... g/download

recorded in cubase, cubase fx + Ni kontakt reverb
instruments: hollywood strings/brass/woodwinds, alchemy base, sonic couture fx piano, sampletekk marimba

five versus three, dotted eighth versus quarter notes and some more polyrhythmic

Return to “Music Cafe”